Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   What became of the adventure game (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/23442-what-became-adventure-game.html)

dazsin 10-12-2008 07:29 AM

What became of the adventure game
 
Quite an interesting little article

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a...ture-game.html

WRMW 10-12-2008 08:33 AM

Quote:

and the final chapter of the Gabriel Knight trilogy is really one Sierra would rather forget.
Woah... what??

AndreaDraco83 10-12-2008 09:28 AM

I totally refuse to comment.

Misinformation aplenty. Trash-bin material.

Jonatan 10-12-2008 10:41 AM

but... you just did?

Collector 10-12-2008 11:06 AM

Also obviously a LucasArts fan.

AndreaDraco83 10-12-2008 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonatan (Post 484577)
but... you just did?

I know. Sorry. Sometimes it's hard to contain. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Collector (Post 484578)
Also obviously a LucasArts fan.

I know. :frusty:

Keregioz 10-12-2008 08:19 PM

Here we go again....


Also, collector, yes he seems like a lucas arts fan (as most adventure gamers), what's wrong with that?

Collector 10-12-2008 08:46 PM

Nothing, I like the Lucas Arts games, too. I'm not going to get into a flame war. It just explains something about his tone about the Sierra games.

tsa 10-12-2008 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazsin (Post 484560)
Quite an interesting little article

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a...ture-game.html

Nice article. For a high-school student with absolutely no knowledge about adventure games, who did one afternoon of research, that is. But for 'the UK's largest independent entertainment website' it's a disgrace.

Keregioz 10-12-2008 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Collector (Post 484603)
Nothing, I like the Lucas Arts games, too. I'm not going to get into a flame war. It just explains something about his tone about the Sierra games.


Didn't notice anything bad about his tone about sierra games to be honest...Seems to me he liked them too.

Christian IV 10-12-2008 11:48 PM

I would say a junior High school level essay that would appropriately recieve a C+ for effort and an F for accuracy and value of content. Sigh.

AndreaDraco83 10-13-2008 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christian IV (Post 484609)
I would say a junior High school level essay that would appropriately recieve a C+ for effort and an F for accuracy and value of content. Sigh.

Wonderfully said, Christian.

F for accuracy is somehow a good rank, compared to the severe misinformation of the article!

tsa 10-13-2008 07:53 AM

Really, I just read it 'diagonally'. I saw Lucasarts Lucasarts Lucasarts, one mention of Sierra and I thought: "OK, misinformed, not worth reading for real," and dismissed it.

anyname 10-13-2008 08:10 AM

so the golden years are behind us. fans of every genre you can put a name on is saying the same thing each and everyday. for every gem in a genre these writers don't seem to want to point out the dogs that are turning people off. not every fps is/was doom or halflife.

DEMON 10-13-2008 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 (Post 484572)
I totally refuse to comment.

Misinformation aplenty. Trash-bin material.

While I would agree the overall quality of it is not too high, I would shun from calling it utter rubbish. (Or, in your words, trash-bin material.)
Anyway, when mentioning your beloved GK 3, I believe the author was merely stating that the conversion to 3D has hurt the game, not that the game itself was bad in all aspects.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsa (Post 484631)
Really, I just read it 'diagonally'. I saw Lucasarts Lucasarts Lucasarts, one mention of Sierra and I thought: "OK, misinformed, not worth reading for real," and dismissed it.

The words LucasArts/Lucasfilm are metioned exactly 10x in the article, while Sierra is mentioned 9x + there is a part about On-Line Systems "founded by Ken and Roberta Williams".
Thus, I believe both companies are getting an even share of space in this article.

PS: I have absolutely nothing to do with the aforementioned article, or its author, I just don´t like the way you startet bashing him from all sides.

dazsin 10-13-2008 12:51 PM

3D wrecked the adventure game in my opinion.

Not every other genre going to 3D - but adventure games trying to follow.

I had high hopes for So Blonde but they appear to have made a mess of the install so i'm sending the damn thing back and just buying fifa 09 instead!

AndreaDraco83 10-13-2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEMON (Post 484657)
Anyway, when mentioning your beloved GK 3, I believe the author was merely stating that the conversion to 3D has hurt the game, not that the game itself was bad in all aspects.

I disagree. I think that he was pretty clear about it.

Oh, and I don't think that me, or Collector, or Tsa were referring to actual number of times of each mention.

rtrooney 10-13-2008 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christian IV (Post 484609)
I would say a junior High school level essay that would appropriately recieve a C+ for effort and an F for accuracy and value of content. Sigh.

I'm hard pressed to find any serious inaccuracies, other than those that might be opinion related.

One might make a case that Phantasmagoria was the first CD-only game ported to PC and not MYST. But MYST was a CD-only game only avaiable on Mac's 18 months earlier. It's a factual quibble.

One can certainly argue the statement that Sierra regretted releasing GK3, but that's an argument of opinion rather than an argument of fact. The author may, in fact, be right. If one looks at the gnashing of teeth in another thread regarding Vivendi pulling the plug on the GK support forums, one might easily hear someone at Vivendi saying, "If we hadn't released that game, (GK3,) we could have been out of this business, and never had to look back!"

Almost fifteen years after the original Sierra sale people are still clamoring for more of what came before, only better. (Thus the fan games.)

If this was truly a Jr High School essay assignment, I would rate it an A and not an A+ because of some typos. An A- on facts, only because of the Phantasmagoria question. And certainly an A based on background being given by two of the big guys that were around at the time, Al Lowe and Ron Gilbert.

That said, if this was a High School essay, or above, I might give it a C+. Al Lowe and Ron Gilbert do not define the adventure industry. There should have been more investigation. Where are the quotes from Ken and Roberta?

Keregioz 10-13-2008 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazsin (Post 484663)
3D wrecked the adventure game in my opinion.

Not every other genre going to 3D - but adventure games trying to follow.

I had high hopes for So Blonde but they appear to have made a mess of the install so i'm sending the damn thing back and just buying fifa 09 instead!


Nahhh....you're better off with PES2009....fifa sucks! :)

dazsin 10-13-2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keregioz (Post 484686)
Nahhh....you're better off with PES2009....fifa sucks! :)

I havent tried it - I found PES 2008 virtually unplayable, but i might download the demo :)


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Design & Logo Copyright ©1998 - 2017, Adventure Gamers®.
All posts by users and Adventure Gamers staff members are property of their original author and don't necessarily represent the opinion or editorial stance of Adventure Gamers.