You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Zork Nemesis community playthrough - now underway!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #21
Lazy Bee

I retrieved my last element: air fairly easy. I was still examining the levers for the air tubes when suddenly I had the correct amount of each colour. Yay!

Now I'm in the Grey Mountain Asylum and have reached the top floor lab. This is one gory game!
Spoiler:
I was so disgusted when that head started talking. I can't say I felt good beheading the corpse either. *shudders*

Colpet, I understand better now what you meant by seeing different layers of the story and that the four alchemists weren't very nice. This doctor was a creepy guy for sure taking advantage of young, defenseless girls.

The puzzles in this part of the game are a true delight though. Not too difficult, but still a challenge.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:07 PM   #22
Easily amused

I finished Irondune, and again am surprised by the amount of information that the manual gives you. Without it, some of the challenges wouldn't make as much sense. I was stuck for a while...
Spoiler:
having missed a second hot spot on the armor

but once I could continue, things flowed smoothly. There is definitely a pattern to each place. There is alway a few FMVs to give you more background, one person left to meet, many letters and pictures to look at, and, of course, the secret metal labs to find. The puzzles are as Jelena said, just right - enough of a challenge, but still logical.
I'll need to wait until next weekend to finish off at the Asylum.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:31 PM   #23
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

*sigh*

When I originally played Z:N, I let a friend borrow the discs.....BIG mistake, as he then decided to move without telling anyone he was leaving town. Otherwise, I'd TOTALLY be replaying this right now!! I had it in a compilation pack. It had every game except for Grand Inquisitor in it....ah, sweet memories!

*sighs again*
Old 10-25-2008, 06:59 AM   #24

inm8#2, try right-clicking the "install", going to Properties and selecting Compatibility. Choose "Run in compatibility with Win 95". It should then allow you to install it. Change the ZN.exe file in the same way and you shoud be good to go. The only trouble I had was then it ran too quickly on my new comp and I had to slow it down with CPUKiller, which worked great. You may be better off contilnuing to play in DosBox.

Also a word of warning when you sense you are anywhere near the end. Save often! The end sequence is very long, comes at you very quickly and you want to be reasonably near it if you have to reload and try again.

I'd join you but I have a goofy schedule these days. Maybe if I get some free time.

Last edited by Dara100; 10-25-2008 at 07:10 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:59 AM   #25
Easily amused

I've made it to the Asylum, and have access to the 20th floor. This is the goriest part of the whole game. Lots of blood and bodies, plus the creepyness of Sartorius himself. I wonder who Patient X is?
Old 10-26-2008, 12:45 PM   #26
Lazy Bee

I haven't had much time to play this weekend. Too much to do around the house and garden. But I'm on holiday from Thursday to Sunday which leaves time for gaming.

So far I've made it to the monastery. I've been looking around quite thoroughly and have just opened a gate that leads downstairs to what looks like some library.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:33 PM   #27
Easily amused

I'm just about to finish the game, so I made out this timeline to help me understand the sequence of events.

TIMELINE ZORK NEMESIS

919 7 Mage Sartorius loses interest in magic
920 10 Oracle Lucien Kaine born
922 Sartorius studying father’s disease
923 5 Aug Malveaux ready to try Sartorius experiment
923 7 Mum Kaine knighted
924 20 Est Sophia to join Malveaux and Sartorius
924 12 Frob Need to go to Temple
924 7 Oracle Sartorius needs other partners
924 20 Mum Sartorius wants Philosopher’s Stone
925 7 Arch Thaddium at Irondune
925 15 Mage Sartorius to bring Alexandria to Malveaux 1 week after birth
925 17 Jam Must act now. Complete work at Temple
929 16 Jam Sophia congratulates Kaine on battle
929 20 Otto Kaine says blood is purity, not love, gases, etc.
930 16 Otto Sophia and Kaine having affair
935 16 Est Alexandria progressing at Conservatory
937 15 Otto Malveaux writes about caring for Alex
939 16 Est Alexandria’s (1st?) performance
940 19 Mum Kaine and wife fighting
941 15 Oracle Date of Harmony of Spheres performance that Lucien sees
942 5 Aug Alex missing her father (Malveaux)
943 1 Mage Alex meets Lucien
943 2 Jam Lucien in love with Alexandria
944 2 Arch Lucien seeing Alexandria
944 5 Mage Lucien drafted
944 1 Susp Malveaux reassures Alexandria
944 12 Dis Alex worried about Malveaux. Something is wrong.
945 22 Mage Lucien and Alex to marry at next full moon
945 1 Aug Alexandria performs Yoruk’s Descent into Hell
947 17 Dis Bivotar sets off to find out what happened

There may be some missing important dates, or some mistakes. Please post any corrections. I'll be finishing the game later on this week.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #28
Lazy Bee

I need some help here since I'm stuck.
I've been in the Monastery for a while now and have solved some puzzles:
I managed to get the rope of the seventh bell (at least a rope) and made it up to a bedroom. I guess it is Malveaux's bedroom
I've also searched the bottom floor (stairs behind the gate) and found a torch and a ruby.
I've been in all the obvious rooms and halls, but still have lots of doors that don't open.
I've read diaries and seen cut scenes with information on Alexandria's life.

What do I do now?
Old 10-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #29
Easily amused

Have you found the trap door in the Museum area (bottom floor down from the gate)? You need to turn off the alarm to access it.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:22 AM   #30
Lazy Bee

No I haven't. Better go look for it right away.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:21 AM   #31
Lazy Bee

Thanks for the hint Colpet.
I'm now at Irondune, still exploring the place and learning about what a horrible father Kaine was to Lucien.
This games definitely goes into my Top Ten. I'm totally absorbed by the story and the puzzles. I also like the way the game creators manage to put a bit of Zork humour into this rather dark story without spoiling the atmosphere.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:26 AM   #32
Easily amused

Quote:
This games definitely goes into my Top Ten. I'm totally absorbed by the story and the puzzles. I also like the way the game creators manage to put a bit of Zork humour into this rather dark story without spoiling the atmosphere
I'm glad you are enjoying it . It's always in my top 10.

I have basically finished the game, but wanted to do the end game when I had time to savor it, so it won't be until the weekend that I'll view it. Can't wait!
Old 11-01-2008, 07:18 AM   #33
Easily amused

I just finished the game.
Spoiler:
What a great ending. It caught me totally by surprise the first time I played the game. Though I knew what happens, the replay was still full of discovery. I paid more attention to the details and how the story leads you to believe that the Nemesis is evil.

I took the time to play through some other endings - all resulted in death (along with some good sarcastic comments ). I also went through all of the easter eggs I could find. The only one I couldn't get to work was the '4 skulls film' (clicking on the piece of metal beside the skull crusher in Kaine's torture chamber). If anyone else has seen it, let me know what I missed.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #34
00C

I'm new here but I just finished playing Nemesis before finding this forum (it's really put me in the mood for more adventure games).

This is the second time I completed the game and both times Sophia's section was the last I finished. I've never seen the cut sequence after completing it. Could someone tell me what she says? I kept saving over my game so the only way I'd know is to play from the beginning again. I really hate Sophia's part too, maybe I'll do it in a couple of days - I'm replaying Ripley's just now

Last edited by 00C; 11-07-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:41 AM   #35
Lazy Bee

I haven't had much time to play recently, but managed to devote a couple of hours to Irondune today.
I've managed to get the enemy to retreat and have made it to the tank outside. There I need to set a six digit code into the dashboard. I've got some different six digit numbers that I got from the pool table, but none of them seem to work.
A hint would be nice.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:06 PM   #36
Easily amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
I haven't had much time to play recently, but managed to devote a couple of hours to Irondune today.
I've managed to get the enemy to retreat and have made it to the tank outside. There I need to set a six digit code into the dashboard. I've got some different six digit numbers that I got from the pool table, but none of them seem to work.
A hint would be nice.
The pool table demonstrates different shots. Each is set up with the press of a button (1 - 4), then use the 5th button to shoot. The balls all end up in different 6 digit sequences, so there are 4 to choose from. The names of the shots are listed on the wall.
Spoiler:
Pick one that has an appropriate name