You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Official Sierra's Gabriel Knight (& Others) Board Closing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2008, 08:59 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83
Default Official Sierra's Gabriel Knight (& Others) Board Closing

Activision Blizzard has just decided to discontinue the forums concerning the products they aren't supporting anymore. Thus, all the old Sierra's boards - not only the one concerning Gabriel Knight, mind you: King's Quest, Space Quest, Quest for Glory's boards too - are closing.

They still have a lot of fans who visit them every day in order to keep in touch with other fans (cross-series even), release their works of fiction and, generally, to discuss their beloved games.

Those forums are none less than real pieces of history.

After the release of Gabriel Knight 3, when I was fourteen and I spoke a non-existent English, I found that board - which was still crimson, by the way - and, with the aid of a weathered dictionary, I posted some of my thoughts about the series as a whole and, particularly, the finale. It was there that I found invaluable help to the problems I encountered during my first GK1 play-through. And it was there that my love for adventures became even stronger thanks to the always nice peoples I found to discuss those games with me.

It's a real sad news.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 10-03-2008, 11:46 AM   #2

That is sad. A lot of history coming to an end.

On the other hand, with Activision-Blizzard selling off the rights to many game franchises, there is some hope that a revival of certain games that deserve sequels may happen. Not too much hope, but better than the none there was before.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:38 PM   #3

Hope is evil... having hope makes you more sad when nothing happens...
Old 10-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #4

Corporate takeovers make me a sad panda.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:51 PM   #5
Codger

Hardly unexpected. There was once a time on CompuServe when Sierra had a forum of its own, with whole sections devoted to individual games or game series. We were blessed by frequent visitors who were writers and developers of the games.

Then, when Sierra was sold, most of those got folded into a Sierra section on the GAMERS forum. And all was good for a time.

But, because of lack of traffic, the GAMERS forum closed.

Individual clusters of Sierra enthusiasts tried to put together things that resembled the old CIS platform. But most of those died an early death.

Some may feel that this is a sad day, but it is only the most recent sad day. Many more have preceded it.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
fire breathing

hooray for Vivendi for not wanting to ever produce another GK game...while at the same time not releasing the rights to do so to Jane Jensen.

these corporate execs are greedy and stupid beyond imagination.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #7

I too have fond memories of the GK board from 1998 or so. It's too bad the board and others have to close, but sadly I'm not surprised.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 10-03-2008, 05:20 PM   #8

The end of an era. The GK3 forums used to be a port of call in the late '90s in the lead up to the game. Good times had there. I haven't visited in years, though.

Last edited by D.C.; 10-03-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:23 PM   #9

I read on the SQ7 forums that Activision are selling pretty much all of the Sierra IPs (intellectual property rights) and I get the feeling it could be connected. Someone naively thought that it was good news for the SQ7 project because the guys would be able to buy the rights. Technically that's true, but it sounds like the pricetag will be in the multimillion range, so the hope for fan projects is just that the rights might get bought up by somebody less likely to sue their arses off.

On the brightside Activision should stand to make a lot of money from it... [eyeroll]

EDIT: Oop, sorry - because I only read about it yesterday I didn't realise that this news was 2 months old..

Last edited by Grimbold; 10-03-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:34 PM   #10

There is currently some discussion to create a gateway site to link the established fan boards together. This "super group" could serve as a replacement for official boards. Though it is a new one, I am opening my board, The Sierra Help Pages forum to this effort.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #11
Adventure Game Researcher

Good move do what can be done. This was sad news to see.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 10-08-2008, 02:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian IV View Post
Good move do what can be done. This was sad news to see.
Indeed a sad news. I know that some people hopes that this move will lead to the IP being sold, and it would be really wonderful, but I highly doubt that.

But, if the news of a great community of Sierra old fans and gamers would become true, as I'm pretty sure it will, that community could be really wonderful and, finally, more free!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Last edited by AndreaDraco83; 10-08-2008 at 02:32 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:50 PM   #13

The last Gabriel Knight game came out almost ten years ago, and the official forum still has daily discussion. That's impressive in and of itself.

I know everything's about the bottom line, but is it too much to think that there's a possibility someone with influence in the game publishing industry would be more of a patron of the arts instead of a bean-counter? I mean, these games are out there forever, like any book or movie, and after a time they have a life of their own. The fans of Gabriel Knight are so dedicated that they'll keep an ongoing discussion about the series even though there hasn't been a hint of it continuing, beyond the willingness of the actual creator, of course, who has readily admitted to having a couple potential scripts already written.

I guess I must be dreaming to think that there's a possibility that, say, The Adventure Company might be able to purchase the rights to Gabriel Knight for the purpose of developing more games that would be not only a sure hit with the established fan base, but would actually rise above the drek that passes for adventure games these days and help further the genre altogether.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:18 AM   #14

I have moved the Sierra Help Pages to its own domain, complete with forums. I invite any Sierra fan here to check it out and peruse the forums. It will be my small part in the community effort to keep Sierra alive. Andrea has already joined. Take a look.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:05 AM   #15
Caffein Queen

I joined too and wanna be activated, boo hoo

Edit: Yay, thanks

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter

Last edited by misslilo; 10-09-2008 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:02 AM   #16

Np
Old 10-09-2008, 06:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
Andrea has already joined. Take a look.
And it's also a lot of fun!

Any Sierra's fan should give them a look, and join our discussion. Even if the forum is mainly dedicated - ad the name clearly states - to technical help, there are also entertaining discussion on each series and even of the minor games!

And there is also the voice that a soon-to-be-ex-moderator of the old Sierra's forum is building a site totally dedicated to Sierra, with links to all the forums...

...Sometimes, from a bad news a great dawn arise