You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Lucasarts had spent 2 million on sam & max:freelance police

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2004, 04:19 PM   #1

Default Lucasarts had spent 2 million on sam & max:freelance police

can you believe they spent 2 million on this game ..and cancelled it..with no warning or anything..the developers had no idea... if you forget all the other stuff about cancelling a great game..it seems one of the worst business decisions ive ever heard of... why wouldnt you want to get the money youve spent back..by actually releasing it? unbelievable
Old 03-06-2004, 04:24 PM   #2
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HieroHero
can you believe they spent 2 million on this game ..and cancelled it..with no warning or anything..the developers had no idea... if you forget all the other stuff about cancelling a great game..it seems one of the worst business decisions ive ever heard of... why wouldnt you want to get the money youve spent back..by actually releasing it? unbelievable
2 million? Where did you get this fact, if I may ask? (Not that it would surprise me, though)

--Erwin
Old 03-06-2004, 04:25 PM   #3
Part time writer for hire

Send a message via AIM to redhotray Send a message via MSN to redhotray Send a message via Yahoo to redhotray

Lucasarts could have made that money back on this game!!!

Just look at the outcry of support in the last several days, and the news hasn't travelled to all four corners yet.

There's some real air heads working there. Not only have they now put themsleves 2 million dollars in debt, but they've possibly lost a lot more, with the amount of upset fans refusing to buy any of their future titles.

Seriously, for their sake and survival, they need to rethink this decision!
Old 03-06-2004, 04:25 PM   #4
guybrush_guy

i agree, there money went to production and also to the team who dezines the game. they probibly get payed salery...then you have time and time is money. but when all thats over you have to pay to get the game put on cd's and boxed i'm sure that qutie a hefty fee....i'm hoping that some time in the near future they will start production agin. i'm still angry but, not as. i'm still holding by my boycot of there products.
by the way. was it ever said anyware that the game was officialy canceled? in the press release it says "stop" so there still might be a verry small chance that it will go back to production
what did the full throttle 2 press release say, cancel or stop?

Old 03-06-2004, 07:17 PM   #5
More slaw!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush_guy
but when all thats over you have to pay to get the game put on cd's and boxed i'm sure that qutie a hefty fee....
No way dude, that's probably the cheapest part of the whole process. The material aspect of the game (box, cd) are all relatively cheap on their own, and when bought in bulk (I would assume Lucasarts would at least have pumped this game out in the tens of thousands, at least) the price gets cheaper and cheaper.

I just did a run of audio CD's for a CD I am releasing. For full colour printing on the CD's, jewel cases and full colour inserts in the cases it cost me about $400 for 300 (Australian dollars), that's a little over one dollar each. If I had of bought say 10,000 instead of 300, I would have gotten them for under 50 cents each.

The boxes themselves may have cost a little bit more than the CD's (for a computer game) but the material objects themselves are always the cheapest bit.

If Lucasarts DID spend 2 million already on this game it would seem a little bit silly to just throw it out the window so easily. If they've spent so much, why not spend a little bit more and at least make SOME of their money back?
Old 03-06-2004, 07:30 PM   #6

they would atleast make the money they need to finish the game back..and then they would have the potential to make even more..but if you dont even release it you get nothing.. some1 over at the lucasarts support forum said they spent 2 million..and they sounded like they were on the inside somehow if u know what i mean...
Old 03-06-2004, 07:33 PM   #7
I'm really Cookin'

HieroHero,

Where did you find that $2 million figure? Can you please provide a link?
Old 03-06-2004, 07:46 PM   #8
guybrush_guy

it's on the lucas arts forrums, under.........dont feal like explaing
http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.j...ID=60&tstart=0

Old 03-06-2004, 08:40 PM   #9
lemonhead11

I'm not sure if its the same person but the poster of the 2 million figure (gatorlaw) is one of the main people over at Gameboomers.

Old 03-06-2004, 09:43 PM   #10
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

I don't see a reference to 2 million in that thread... i must be missing something out of laziness...

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 03-06-2004, 09:47 PM   #11

heres the quote...

"Oh good - now you can free up some resorces for original games like another Star Wars clone or hey how about a sequel to that ever popular RTX Red Rock.

As far as the two sentence exclamation BAH

You are 2 million into development - about to relase the game in the very near future, the development team apparently got as much heads up as every industry media outlet/personnel and gamers - which would be NONE.

So it took you all this time to realize that the PC market might not be as instantly lucrative as the console market. Wow and you feel off of what truck this morning? Everyone knows that - even casual gamers. This smacks of something else. What I don't know - doubt we'll ever hear the real story.

Guess the work approach Breen took at EA is working as well at LEC.

Last LEC title of any sort that I will buy from LEC.

Did it ever occur to you that a lot of people were eager for something different? That the sea of FTS and same old RPG's are getting a bit old?

I guess not - that would require a little bit of business sense. "
Old 03-06-2004, 10:22 PM   #12

Even if that is true, 2 million isn't that much...
Old 03-07-2004, 01:19 AM   #13
Mad Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotray
...but they've possibly lost a lot more, with the amount of upset fans refusing to buy any of their future titles.
The sad thing is that Lucas Arts probably wouldn't notice an active boycot.

If we refuse to buy any future titles, Lucas Arts will probably look at the sales figures and say, "See. I told you adventure games don't sell very well".
Old 03-07-2004, 02:33 AM   #14
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey
The sad thing is that Lucas Arts probably wouldn't notice an active boycot.

If we refuse to buy any future titles, Lucas Arts will probably look at the sales figures and say, "See. I told you adventure games don't sell very well".
Well, they're probably not going to publish any adventure games, so a boycott wouldn't cause them to think adventure games don't sell well. If a boycott actually did cause them to notice anything, it's "Star Wars games are selling slightly less than usual," since that's pretty much all they'll be publishing.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 03-07-2004, 07:19 AM   #15
Bearly Here

Well here I am gone for a bit and still stirred up trouble. Should have written at "least 2 million at this point".

I had running figures a while back from some folks. But that isn't much these days for a high end title. Syberia 1 ran close to that. I would assume Syberia 2 ran about the same maybe more. Given the imbedded costs and staff at LEC, well I found the earlier figures very credible when I heard them.

I would actualy think that by the time they shut down the project *pause for internal ranting and raving* It had exceeded that figure.

And having a few days to digest the news hasn't helped - I think I am more angry than the first day.

Be interesting to see if it gets any response from LEC though
Old 03-07-2004, 08:49 AM   #16
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosferatu
Even if that is true, 2 million isn't that much...
Indeed - in the grand scheme of game development 2 million is peanuts - and easily made back through sales. To be honest, 5 or 6 million wouldn't have surprised me...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-08-2004, 10:50 AM   #17
Bearly Here

Well that must have struck a nerve, they deleted the thread at LEC.

Oh I see here's their reason.

Quote:
LucasArts Eric (moderator)

Sam & Max: Freelance police
Posted: Mar 8, 2004 9:37 AM

This Forum is only for technical support for LucasArts games so we have removed the threads regarding the cancellation of Sam & Max: Freelance Police. However, please send any feedback you have to our Public Relations Dept. at [email protected]

Thank you.
http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.j...ID=98&tstart=0

I see ... send it to PR.LEC otherwise known as the LEC Trash Can.

Old 03-08-2004, 10:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMac
I see ... send it to PR.LEC otherwise known as the LEC Trash Can.

LEC IS a trash can...
Old 03-08-2004, 10:58 AM   #19

Looks to me like they're just adding fuel to the fire..
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 03-08-2004, 11:23 AM   #20
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

The emails sent to [email protected] are in fact being gathered up and read, just so you know. Its not "the trash can."

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens