You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Top 7... Stupidest Puzzles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #21

A funny and matter-of-fact article, although I personally tend to enjoy the inflatable duck puzzle more and more each year that passes since those painful days I didn't manage to solve it.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:34 AM   #22

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen View Post
I read it as if there was a - smiley behind the 'That's why...' sentence, like just making fun of some puzzles that do, in this context, look rather stupid.
Maybe you are right, even if I still think that that statement was made under totally wrong presumptions (i.e. that the Cat-Mustache puzzle was a cause of the "death" and not a symptom).
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 10-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharteredStreets View Post
I wouldn't worry about the tone; articles like this I believe tend to be written by people who really like adventure games, and appreciate and even enjoy the mental nature of some puzzles; sometimes puzzles are solved in completely illogical way, and even more worryingly, sometimes adventure game players go immediately for the illogical solution because they know that the logical solution is not likely to yield results.

I think the 'wonder why these games aren't made anymore' comment was made in jest, I don't think the writer was suggesting that they shouldn't be made. Regardless, I found it an enjoyable read.
that's right :
http://www.gamesradar.com/f/the-best...9337286093/p-2
http://www.gamesradar.com/f/the-best...9337286093/p-5

I love Adventure Games like you guys and i think there is nothing offensive about AG in that article

Last edited by pedram_pd; 10-01-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:35 AM   #24

I didn't assume that the writer hated adventure games.

If it is indeed a favorite genre of his, perhaps then is even more grave that he wasn't well informed on the real course of things.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:30 AM   #25
It's Hard To Be Humble

Hmmn. Well, I'm not quite as hypersensitive to the slings and arrows as Andrea and Lunatik, but I do think this kind of journalism is really just that punk internet journalism that accomplishes little else but making them sound well-versed in geek pop culture.

It's a fine enough article as these things go, but then, from what I could see of the site, their bread and butter is in poking fun at the idiosyncrasies of adventure and action-adventure gaming. So really, nothing special. Geek humour is more common than water on the internet these days, and really only works for a certain subset of internet user anyway, so it's not really particularly good humour.

Anyway, the cat moustache puzzle and the rubber duck puzzle reared their ugly heads, so now we can rest easy, because you know, before now, no one had ever really brought up those secret shames of ours. Oh wait, yes they have. Aren't these the same two puzzles that get brought up every damned time someone tries to analyze what went wrong with the AG genre? So yeah, whatever. Call me when you have something original to say.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:00 AM   #26

You are a very wise man, Lee

And maybe I'm just a little too sensitive

Old 10-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #27
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

You want bad geek humour? I'll show you bad geek humour...
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2008, 03:42 PM   #28

Lol. It's a shame that Runaway isn't better known in the mainstream, or it could have taken up most of the article.

Anyone else confused by SQIV's inclusion on the list? I'm pretty sure it's programmed so that the second code you enter is the right one. So I wasn't sure how you could get stuck on that puzzle for hours...
Old 10-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #29

that article was hilarious!

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 10-03-2008, 12:08 AM   #30

WOW. How the hell did Discworld manage to stay of that list is beyond me...
Old 10-03-2008, 01:12 AM   #31
Jef Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxax View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Remember I got fed up of hearing Eric Idle repeat "That doesn't work" after trying object after object on the insane puzzles in the first game. At least he had more different responses in the second one.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:24 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxax View Post
He probably didn't know which of all the terribly illogical puzzles to include...
Old 10-03-2008, 03:26 AM   #33
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretulli View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Remember I got fed up of hearing Eric Idle repeat "That doesn't work" after trying object after object on the insane puzzles in the first game. At least he had more different responses in the second one.
But he also said "Nope. I can't shift it" a couple of times for variety. Seriously, the only puzzle in Discworld that killed me (and required checking a walkthrough) was how to find the sword in the third act. Still it kinda made sense in a crazy sort of way and I was a newbie adventure gamer back then.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:28 AM   #34
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
He probably didn't know which of all the terribly illogical puzzles to include...
Funny that I was able to figure out all of them except one. Give me more illogical puzzles like this.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:51 AM   #35
Jef Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
But he also said "Nope. I can't shift it" a couple of times for variety.
Heh, that's true. So much for diversity...

It's been a while since I played Discworld, but I remember having huge problems already in the first act. Annoying things like having to come back and try things again at a later point and not knowing when to come back, and items that had to be in Rincewind's inventory, etc...

I was quite young at the time, so that probably didn't help either.

But all in all I had a good time with this game. The sequels were even better...
Old 10-03-2008, 06:27 AM   #36
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Someone should do an article about stupidly trivial and artificial puzzles. Recently, while playing Broken Sword 2.5 I really wanted to strangle someone when I found a computer password near the appropriate PC written on a piece of paper torn in two.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #37

I don't understand the inclusion of the SQIV one, because, honestly, what's so bad about requiring the player to just try out some combination!? Yeah, it was sooooo unfair and devious...
Old 10-03-2008, 05:53 PM   #38
fire breathing

first off,

the cat-moustache puzzle was a stupid puzzle. Probably the only stupid puzzle in GK3, but it was a stupid puzzle.

The author made fun of the TLJ puzzle completely out of context though. Part of the brilliance of the first couple of chapters of TLJ was how seamlessly the puzzles and the plotline flowed together. There was plenty of motivation given for every step of the way in solving TLJ, and part of the game's appeal was that the puzzles flowed so seamlessly with the gameplay.

Whenever I go back and replay TLJ, it still feels like i'm playing a work of art, partly because of that reason.

just saying.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:34 PM   #39

The pie in the face is the stupidest puzzle they can find in KQV?! I thought that one was pretty good and kinda funny without being too off-the wall. The pie is the only thing that costs a nickel, it's not too far-fetched to think you have to buy it. I hate getting stuck because I didn't do something a ways back, but that's a much worse problem in other puzzles.

How about the timed puzzle where a cat is chasing a rat in front of said pie-stoor and you have one chance for two seconds to throw a boot that you found in one single section of desert at it?
If you throw the stick at it instead, you save the rat, but you're stuck. Because you need the stick for something else, but not the boot.
If you go further in the game and didn't save the rat, you get stuck and die.
You have two seconds to act, and you have no reason to stop a cat from eating. Similar problem to the Yeti, but way worse I'd say.
How about going to one section of land, waiting for a while, and then jumping into the talons of a bird to get to the midget island?
I'm not complaining about the list, just actually I am.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:37 PM   #40
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedram_pd View Post
Hehe, he does have a point with them being stupid. I never reflected on the mustache puzzle for some reason, but I loathed the rubber duck one. I even wondered why on earth April would even consider grabbing that object in the first place?

I prefer puzzles like those in Myst IV