You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure you can only name one!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2008, 01:29 PM   #61

In my case,Tim Curry is one of the actors i love to hate.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
I agree with you... but maybe it's because we aren't American
Nothing aginst Curry's voice in general, but even an American must realize that Curry's voice doesn't fit the age and looks of the hero at all? The voice is way too deep and too old.

When I have to choose a game I would select Buried in Time, TJP 2. That's one of the most ambitious games I know and I am still amazed Presto succeeded to make it in those days.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:08 PM   #63
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena View Post
Rtrooney,the amazing thing is that,Tim Curry won an award for his performance in Frankenstein!!

Best actor of 1995, Computer Game Review
Best actor of 1995, PC Game Magazine
Must have been a horrible year for voice actors.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:15 PM   #64

Quest for glory 1
Old 09-29-2008, 05:25 AM   #65

Curry was fine in GK1. In GK3 he was a bit more over the top, but I never found it distracting.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 09-29-2008, 05:42 AM   #66
Shadow Hunter

Send a message via MSN to Mounix

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers

Planning to start to play it again after few years. for the fourth of fifth time, don't remember for sure.

Monkey Island II: Lechuck's Revenge is very close second..
Old 09-29-2008, 06:04 AM   #67
George Stobbart

Send a message via MSN to sultanbadza

Zak McKracken & The Alien Mindbenders... The first adventure I played and I liked it a lot...
Old 09-29-2008, 01:19 PM   #68
Pixiehunter

My all time favorite is Conquests of the Longbow
The fact that there are 4 endings possible, that you can solve puzzles in multiple ways, that you can do so many different things, the funny comments.
Also like the story (but I am also a bit biased because I am a general fan of Robin Hood stories )
I even like the small arcade sequences (usually can't stand them), the nine men morris, the fair (so much to see), the huge forest where you could just wander and wander....love the game
And all the ways you could die, and then the comments you could get The more stupid your cause of dead, the more stupid the comment. I just replayed it over and over to find any possible way to die. Good thing is also that (in my opnion) no dead was really pointless. You know you are under constant thread, and that you can die if you're not careful (it really fits in the story), and if you are as stupid as to walk undisguised into a couple of sheriff's men....you just KNOW that that will get you killed

And of course it was my first to play all alone, after being stuck for years on it with my father, I just found out the solution and since my father wasn't into AGs anymore, I just decide to play it myself and finished it in no time. Good memory also plays a role

@ the Tim Curry discussion: I never disliked his accent (don't hear that it doesn't fit or is not really southern or so) but I do think his voice is just a bit too sleezy (if thats the right word) and then gets annoying when I hear it too often.

Last edited by Luna Sevithiainen; 09-29-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #69

Luna,my opinion is just a point of view...
We agree about Tim Curry's voice acting,i think.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:04 PM   #70

Since my mother tongue is german I can't tell if Tim Curry's southern accent is genuine or not. But I absolutey love his take on Gabriel, I missed it in the second part.
Sure, it's a bit over the top, but that always adds to the humour.

Quote:
Nothing aginst Curry's voice in general, but even an American must realize that Curry's voice doesn't fit the age and looks of the hero at all? The voice is way too deep and too old.
I don't think the voice sounds too old, but more interestingly, how do you expect a person with a deep voice to look like? Like, ehm, Johnny Cash?

Anyway, my favourite adventure game is definitely Death Gate. It gave me the most joy while playing it. It has 100% logical puzzles, a gripping atmosphere, varied locations and characters....

The cool thing about this game is that many of the tedious aspects of adventure games are missing here. Since the perspective of the game is node-based 1st person (basically like in a text adventure) you get really fast from one location to another, so there's no endless walking around. Usually you can only visit a few locations at a time which makes this even less of an issue and the game more straightforward.
There's also no pixelhunting I can think of.
The designers were also very good in hinting you in the right direction without spoiling the solution. If you did a reasonable action you could expect an appropiate answer.

There are some weaknesses, though. For one, you have to read too much in this game. It kinda breaks the flow when you have to read up the history of something.
Also, the game is very linear. You get lead from one world to the next and like I already said there aren't many locations you can visit at any time.
The flipside of this is of course that the game is very straightforward and since the puzzles are very logically structured you don't realize very much that you're lead by the nose.

Death Gate is certainly the game that gave me the most fun and the greatest memories. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Antlantis comes close, though. Sure, there are some games which I admire more, like Gabriel Knight or Day of the Tentacle but they weren't as much fun.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #71
It's just me

I'm voting for Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:12 AM   #72
Stalker of Britain

It has to by "The Longest Journey".

The story was so refreshing, the characters so detailed and numerous, the puzzles not too hard, the gameplay nice and long. You really got to love characters. Don't get me wrong; I freakin' LOVE other games, like in my signature, but there will always be a warm feeling in me at the mention of "The Longest Journey".
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 10-06-2008, 10:59 PM   #73

Syberia. It was the first 3D adventure game i ever played and still cannot mimic the experience i have had since.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:26 PM   #74

Riven
Old 10-07-2008, 12:00 AM   #75

Curse of Monkey Island!
Old 10-07-2008, 01:52 AM   #76
Thats the ticket

Eric the Unready!
Old 10-07-2008, 04:46 AM   #77
Jef Costello

Monkey Island II: Lechuck's Revenge