You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure you can only name one!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 01:17 AM   #41

Pandora Directive. I just love dark thrillers... and conspiracy theories.

MetzO'Magic
Old 09-24-2008, 03:07 AM   #42

Here is what i think about Tim Curry.He is an English actor and in GK1 and GK3,the character he voices is Southern American.
All i'm trying to say is he
Spoiler:
sucks
as Gabriel Knight.But,the game was fantastic!!
Old 09-24-2008, 04:12 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena View Post
Here is what i think about Tim Curry.He is an English actor and in GK1 and GK3,the character he voices is Southern American.
Spoiler:
sucks
Yes I understood what you said....but how can you say the game has very good voice acting if the main character's voice sucks (according to you)...?
Old 09-24-2008, 04:25 AM   #44

All the other characters had good voices.It "matched" their appearance.
But,i can't condemn the game because the main character's voice isn't good.Besides,if i stuck at that point,then i wouldn't choose this game as the top game.
The complex story,based on real persons,the brain teasing puzzles,the dark atmosphere,memorable music score...
And if the only thing that rouined my opinion for the game was Tim Curry's bad voice acting,the only thing left to do is to pass it by.

Last edited by Elena; 09-24-2008 at 04:38 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:07 AM   #45

Quote:
All the other characters had good voices.It "matched" their appearance.
But,i can't condemn the game because the main character's voice isn't good.Besides,if i stuck at that point,then i wouldn't choose this game as the top game.
The complex story,based on real persons,the brain teasing puzzles,the dark atmosphere,memorable music score...
And if the only thing that rouined my opinion for the game was Tim Curry's bad voice acting,the only thing left to do is to pass it by.
I don't disagree...a game can be really good without having excellent voice acting. It just seemed to me you contradicted yourself saying the acting is good and then that the main character's voice sucks (which is the most important in a game).
Judging from gk III I wouldn't call gabriel's voice bad... just really annoying. Somewhere in the middle of the game I finally got used to it. Didn't keep me from enjoying the game. I'm guessing the same could be said for "sin of the fathers" although, like I said earlier, I haven't played the speech version...
Old 09-24-2008, 07:10 AM   #46
Lazy Bee

I can't name only one...
Old 09-24-2008, 10:09 AM   #47

Tim Curry's drawl never bothered me in the least. Personally, I really can't imagine anyone else doing his voice.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:44 PM   #48
Codger

Quote:
Spoiler:
sucks
Did you catch him as the lead voice in the god-awful game Frankenstein? Per another thread...talk about "phoning it in!"
Old 09-25-2008, 03:04 AM   #49

Send a message via AIM to Gledster Send a message via MSN to Gledster Send a message via Yahoo to Gledster

Oh my dear lord. Just one?!?!?! *Brain explodes from trying to choose*.

For me it HAS to be Under A Killing Moon then. GK1 came close beind, and others behind that (including Amazon Queen which I still have on CD in front of me).

I waited ages to get a computer powerful enough to run Under A Killing Moon. I was looking forward to playing it after the feature/review in one of the PC Magazines (PC Review I think). Once I got it working I was not disappointed. I loved the game world that the Access team had created. Great characters and in Chris Jones a brilliant FMV face put to the Tex character. Pandora did do what UAKM did (and better in some respects) but the original still gets my vote for the uniqueness of it.

To this day 3D adventure games still haven't got an engine as versatile as UAKM, the latest one Nikoli has only got "Snapshot" 3D scenes, no smooth scrolling.

Sorry, I've rambled but I LOVE this game!
Old 09-25-2008, 03:14 AM   #50

Rtrooney,the amazing thing is that,Tim Curry won an award for his performance in Frankenstein!!

Best actor of 1995, Computer Game Review
Best actor of 1995, PC Game Magazine
Old 09-25-2008, 04:52 AM   #51
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gledster View Post
To this day 3D adventure games still haven't got an engine as versatile as UAKM
GK3?
Old 09-25-2008, 05:30 AM   #52
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeYan View Post
Monkey Fandango, or if you prefer Grim Island.
This.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgic View Post
So, if you can only name ONE...

Then what is the greatest adventure game you have played?
I am torn between Bladerunner and Blackstone Chronicles. Since I can only vote for one can anything beat the spookiness of that forced tour of the Blackstone Asylum? Never seen a game beat the racing of heart when the ghosts spoke and tears in my eyes with compassion to see the ways patients were tortured for a cure to mental illiness. Yep Blackstone Chronicles wins and I long for another sequel to it.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:25 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgic View Post
So, if you can only name ONE...

Then what is the greatest adventure game you have played?
For me personally the greatest would be Myst -- the first adventure game I played. The gameplay was nothing like I'd expected and it confused me at first. I stomped around Channelwood for ages before figuring my way out. But the sound effects and music were great and I enjoyed the sort of creepy feeling it had.

I think Secret of Monkey Island would be second on my list. I played the Monkey Madness version about a year after Myst. Though most people find it humorous, I thought it was mysterious -- maybe because so much of it took place at night. I remember the bonfire on the overlook when you were first setting out, and I remember trying to find my way through the forest, looking for the Sword Master. Like Myst, it inspired my imagination to fill in for whatever was lacking in the graphics. I'm probably the only person who sees similarities in these two games.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:37 PM   #55

Send a message via AIM to Aubstopper

The Longest Journey...hands down...nothing comes close to the length, story, character development and scope of the project. It is one of my favorite fantasy stories of all time, in general
Old 09-26-2008, 11:13 PM   #56

Send a message via Yahoo to Milad241

by now most votes go to:

Grim fandango 4 votes
Longest journey 4 votes
GK3 4 votes
GK1 3 votes
Broken sword 2 votes
GK2 2 votes
Pandora directive 2 votes
Old 09-27-2008, 01:53 AM   #57
Life and times of...

Well, if you're counting votes then I guess I could chip in...

With yet another Gabriel Knight 3. There's just almost nothing bad about it in my opinion, the only thing I have any quarrel with is the end stuff
Spoiler:
with all the dying and the pendulum and invisible shifting bridges and whatnot.
. I even liked the cat puzzle! Sort of... And at the time to me it had amazing graphics although now it's of course obvious they had to seriously rush much of it (although there's still lots that I think is marvellous).

The atmosphere, the music, the way that it's built (the story and all). Pretty much only Grim Fandango has ever come close.

BTW, I can't possibly understand how people don't like Tim Curry in it. Pure excellence
Old 09-27-2008, 02:56 AM   #58

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milad241 View Post
by now most votes go to:

Grim fandango 4 votes
Longest journey 4 votes
GK3 4 votes
GK1 3 votes
Broken sword 2 votes
GK2 2 votes
Pandora directive 2 votes
Thus Gabriel Knight as a series takes 9 votes

Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 09-27-2008, 11:41 AM   #59

Myst on the 3DO Interactive Multiplayer, my first click and point game and first time using a cd gaming system it blow me away.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:50 AM   #60

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
BTW, I can't possibly understand how people don't like Tim Curry in it. Pure excellence
I agree with you... but maybe it's because we aren't American
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box