You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Most unusual adventure game settings?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon
Default Most unusual adventure game settings?

What games had the most unusual settings, you can go way back if you like. I'm sure we've all played countless sci-fi, Fantasy and crime games, but every so often there's something that's either completely different or a twist on a familiar genre.

First off, there's a game I remember, and I would appreciate it if someone could give me the title and if its available for download legally.

The main character was female, which at the time of this was fairly unusual, it was a present day setting and I'm sure she was a flight attendant. The game I'm sure was French, and had a main graphic image with small 'sub windows' that opened up as dialogue and actions like say, cracking a safe, happened. The game was a bit of a murder mystery and I remember enjoying it. Now I either had it for my old Atari ST or when I first had the PC.

These three games are going way back.

Urban Upstart, on the old ZX Spectrum. You were in a town which was basically your old run down town, called if I remember right, something like Scarthorpe or something. It was a text adventure with those early graphics that actually built up piece by piece. You had to find a way to escape this grim place.

Typing a swear word into the parser even got you arrested.

Here's a video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d311dQ7JJdk

Torremolinos, also on the Spectrum. This was basically a text adventure of....taking a package holiday.

Hampstead.

Another Speccy game. This time your ambition was to be able to climb the social ladder and get accepted in the neighbourhood of Hampstead in London. Examples included walking into a clothing store in your ordinary clothes meant you were ignored, but if you had the blazer you could find, the shop assistant would ask if " 'Sir' would like to buy a business suit". Maybe doesn't sound that ground breaking but it was fairly innovative a setting.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:25 AM   #2

Out of this World was a really bizarre SNES/Genesis game back in the day that took you to an alternate dimension or something. It was a nice action adventure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HbxY...eature=related

Unfortunately it's not on Gametap, so you might want to try ebay if you're interested.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 09-20-2008, 11:47 AM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

It's known as Another World on the PC, and there's an anniversary edition available.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Another-Worl...1940213&sr=8-1
Old 09-20-2008, 12:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadefalcon View Post
First off, there's a game I remember, and I would appreciate it if someone could give me the title and if its available for download legally.

The main character was female, which at the time of this was fairly unusual, it was a present day setting and I'm sure she was a flight attendant. The game I'm sure was French, and had a main graphic image with small 'sub windows' that opened up as dialogue and actions like say, cracking a safe, happened. The game was a bit of a murder mystery and I remember enjoying it. Now I either had it for my old Atari ST or when I first had the PC.
It's probably Fascination.

(Oh, and I love trying to figure out what a game was based on some vague memories people have of it; we definitely need to turn that into a game thread at some point )
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 09-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
Helooooo Bessie!

Send a message via MSN to dave_minall

I think just about anything from kyrandia 3 will fit in this thread lol
Pirate: A beard?!?
Old 09-20-2008, 03:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadefalcon View Post
It's known as Another World on the PC, and there's an anniversary edition available.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Another-Worl...1940213&sr=8-1
one step ahead of me! i like it

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown