You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Ace Attorney Series: Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2008, 05:38 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83
Default Ace Attorney Series: Discussion

Yesterday I bought Apollo Justice, my first adventure for Nintendo DS. I know that it has to be considered the fourth in the Ace Attorney series, but it was the only title available at the shop, so - considering that, somehow, it is a "new beginning" for the series - I decided to buy it.

In the first case, the only one I finished by now, there are several hints at what happened seven years before, at Phoenix Wright. Now, my question is: this "seven years before" mystery will be cleared in this game or I have to play the previous titles?

In this latter case, since now I want to finish this one, can someone please put a huge spoiler and give a brief summary?

Thanks in advance!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 09-18-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
Hopeful skeptic

The mysterious events of seven years earlier have nothing to do with the first three games. It's something that supposedly happened after the last PW game. So nope, you haven't missed anything relevant by starting with Apollo.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:20 AM   #3
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

The last Phoenix Wright game ended something like 8/9 years before Apollo Justice, and the last case was nothing like the "thing that happened 7 years ago" from what I've discovered about it so far. (I'm on episode 3.)

So far the game has given me a lot more questions than answers, so you shouldn't be very afraid of spoilers or missed plot, at least not in the first three episodes. I can't comment on the fourth yet..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 09-18-2008, 06:36 AM   #4

Thanks! Now I'm way more quiet and happy about the game
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:52 AM   #5

I bought this game in September and, after the first two cases, I shelved it for good, since I was pretty uninterested by the characters and the stories. Today, my cousin Christmas gift was Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations. Given that I haven't played the first two games, I'm wondering if I can slip into the series from the third chapter or if its continuity is so strong to justify the buying and playing of the first two Phoenix Wright adventures...

... In the meantime, I retrieved Apollo Justice since - whether I'd buy the first two Ace Attorney titles or not - first I want to finish it.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

There are some references to characters from the previous games, but I don't think you're going to be lost if you start with Trials and Tribulations. The game is pretty good about explaining references to past games with a quick flashback when necessary.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:35 AM   #7

Thanks Emily! And, as a personal recommendation, would you recommend me to play all the three of them?

I'm at the third Apollo Justice's case, and - whilst I'm not blown away by it - after more than two months of non-playing it's nonetheless pleasant and entertaining.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:54 PM   #8
Super Moderator

I personally would start from game 1. They are better than Apollo, although I still liked AJ. You will come to really be invested in the characters by starting with the first and it really may affect your emotional involvement in the story that a few flashbacks may not do.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
I personally would start from game 1. You will come to really be invested in the characters by starting with the first and it really may affect your emotional involvement in the story that a few flashbacks may not do.
I agree.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:25 AM   #10

I arrived at the fourth case of Apollo Justice and I found it awesome. Plus, the capability to play briefly as Phoenix Wright finally convinced me: I just ordered online the first game in the series. There is a chance that, if the game is in stock near my house, I should receive tomorrow Let's hope!

Spoiler:
I loved the Psychic Locks! The whole atmosphere, during those segments, is amazing!

Old 12-29-2008, 03:43 AM   #11

I changed the title of the thread to incorporate my final impressions, since yesterday I finished it.

At times way too exaggerated for my taste, and at other times to much reliant on low (repetitive) humor - I'm thinking particularly of Klavier Gavin and his obsession with "rock" - Apollo Justice, in the end, conquered me. If it's true that some minor characters are really flat, it's also true that the main character are greatly depicted and the fact that they evolve during the game gives the player a strong felling of connection, a connection I don't feel very often with recent adventure games (the old Sierra series and a little bunch of other titles, like Syberia or Dreamfall, are in class of their own).

Now, if the three original game are even better than this one, I definitely can't wait to play them (and the first one should arrive today )

A quick note on the end of Apollo Justice:

Spoiler:
When I discovered that Thalassa Gramayre was not only the long lost mother of Apollo and Trucy but also Lamiroir, the DS almost fell off my hand - I was so shocked: I totally didn't see that coming!

Old 01-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Now, if the three original game are even better than this one, I definitely can't wait to play them (and the first one should arrive today )
As a fan of the series I did find the original trilogy better than Apollo Justice, so for you the best is yet to come
Old 08-19-2009, 11:58 AM   #13

I finally finished the first Phoenix Wright. I began playing months ago, than my exams got in the way and then the last case almost convinced me to stop playing for good. Now I've finished it, and I want to share a few thoughts.

First, the last case, Rise from the Ashes. I found it really boring and unnecessary long (the whole part with Meekins was just plain dull, in my opinion), and it only gets better near the end, during the last day of trial. My problem with it is that it felt too exaggerated, too convoluted for its own sake and it bordered dangerously on completely unbelievable and far-fetched. Plus, I must admit that, as much as I liked Ema, I missed Maya

The previous four cases are good and the fourth one, the one about Edgeworth, is really great: I enjoyed it immensely. And this brings up another point: I absolutely adore Edgeworth!

What's bad in this? Well, nothing per se, but considering how much I like Edgeworth and how much I like Maya, I can't help but wonder: why, on the contrary, Phoenix Wright himself leaves me pretty cold? He can endearing and even amusing from time to time, but it's almost like he lacks something. I know that the third game heavily features his past, so I'm looking forward to it - maybe then I'll like Mr. Wright more than now

I've changed the title of this thread, so that it can serve as a place to discuss the series as a whole. And I'll start asking everyone who played the games: who's your favorite character?

Old 08-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #14
Headbanger

I think there are many great characters through out the series but the caffeine addict Godot is definitely one of my favourites. That's someone I can relate to.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #15

I've yet to see him so, for now, I guess I'm going with Edgeworth: not only he is sharp and cunning and a little conceited, but I totally dig his outfit!

Old 08-19-2009, 12:56 PM   #16
Staff Member

I own the first two Phoenix Wright games, I've completed the first and if I recall I'm halfway through the second. I say "if I recall" because I haven't actually touched it for a while, something which is definitely my downfall. I find Phoenix Wright to be a game that if you leave big gaps inbetween playing you come back to it confused and unsure about what's going on, especially since it focuses so heavily on plot and evidence in court. I really enjoy them though, the only reason I haven't played it recently is because of how many other games I've got that remain mid-completion. I plan to see the series right through to the end once I'm done and dusted with the second.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchpenny View Post
I find Phoenix Wright to be a game that if you leave big gaps inbetween playing you come back to it confused and unsure about what's going on, especially since it focuses so heavily on plot and evidence in court.
It happened to me too. But I found some rather useful walkthrough on the web where - without even looking at the actual solution - you can easily freshen up the characters, the premise, the general importance of each evidence and so on. Quite useful, I must admit

Old 08-19-2009, 06:26 PM   #18

I agree that the last case of the first game was way too long. Apart from that, though, the first game was generally much better than the second in my opinion...and the third is the best of them all.

I'm playing through Apollo Justice at the moment and I definitely enjoy the new gameplay additions (first seen in the last case of PW1) but I'm not quite sure it's going to reach the awesomeness of PW3.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:30 AM   #19
Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
I agree that the last case of the first game was way too long.
I suppose that happened because that case was added specifically for the DS version, while the others were just ported over from the GBA. I assume they wanted to get in as much new content for the DS to make it worthwhile for previous owners of the game to buy it again. I do agree it went on for too long though, that was one case I was referring to earlier in terms of forgetting what's going on. It went off on tangents that got me confused as to what the actual case at hand was.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:15 AM   #20
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post

First, the last case, Rise from the Ashes. I found it really boring and unnecessary long (the whole part with Meekins was just plain dull, in my opinion), and it only gets better near the end, during the last day of trial. My problem with it is that it felt too exaggerated, too convoluted for its own sake and it bordered dangerously on completely unbelievable and far-fetched. Plus, I must admit that, as much as I liked Ema, I missed Maya

The previous four cases are good and the fourth one, the one about Edgeworth, is really great: I enjoyed it immensely. And this brings up another point: I absolutely adore Edgeworth!
I actually have really fond memories of the bonus case, in fact it's probably what just edges the first game above Trials & Tribulations for me. The extended length didn't bother me at all, maybe because I was enjoying the game so much I just didn't want it to end. I also really appreciated the improved production values and technical features: the part with the video evidence of the locker room where you hade to examine it frame by frame to find the hidden evidence particulalry impressed me. And of course who could forget...The Blue Badger!!!

I have to agree about case four though, maybe my favourite case in the whole series. It was the first case that added that extra layer of depth in terms of character and storytelling, and featured the most sinister and pure wicked villain in Ace Attorney history. And it probably had some of the best comedy moments as well, courtesy of Larry Butz on the witness stand (although if I remember rightly I think he even surpasses himself with his testimony in the final case of Trials & Tribulations - and Edgworths reaction of sheer horror.)

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!