You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure art of murder, the experiment or sinking island...which one should i pick?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2008, 01:32 PM   #1

Default art of murder, the experiment or sinking island...which one should i pick?

so i'm stuck inside all weekend nursing an injury and want nothing more than to download a good game and hibernate with it until tuesday.

i've got my sights set on three games that are available to buy without leaving the house...art of murder, sinking island and the experiment. now i just need some recommendations. none of them get glowing reviews from what i've read so i suppose i'm looking for the best of the mediocre.

i tend to prefer spooky/horror games so i'm leaning toward art of murder but am wondering if anyone had a particularly good time playing one of them or might suggest something else available for download. i'm also curious about darkness within and dracula (though i was under the impression it had action sequences, in which case, count me out).

so anyone care to weigh in?

thanks!
Old 08-28-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
Monkeyboy

I haven't played the experiment but out of the other rwo I would definitly pick Sinking Island. I just finished art of murder and it was horribly boring. Not scary at all, boring story and bland and uninteresting background art and cutscenes.
Sinking Island is not perfect either, but it has incredible atmosphere, stunning artwork and a mildly interesting murdercase to solve. And much better voiceacting. I enjoyed the puzzles much more than in Art of murder.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonatan View Post
I haven't played the experiment but out of the other rwo I would definitly pick Sinking Island. I just finished art of murder and it was horribly boring. Not scary at all, boring story and bland and uninteresting background art and cutscenes.
Sinking Island is not perfect either, but it has incredible atmosphere, stunning artwork and a mildly interesting murdercase to solve. And much better voiceacting. I enjoyed the puzzles much more than in Art of murder.

Art of Murder was suppose to be scary? Oh my. Thats a problem. Definitely Sinking Island.

the Experiment is good for like a couple of hours. Then it gets way boring. It just gets a little tedious switching cameras, especially with some scenes that slow down the game for no apparent reason, creating low FPS which can cause motion sickness.

The game though is beautiful and has some interesting gameplay features which is a must to try out.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #4
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Art of Murder is a pulpy whodunnit, which tries to be realistic about the police work at times, but it ultimately fails at that aspect. Best compared in storytelling style (but not quality!) to Broken Sword, but with less humor (doesn't mean it is entirely devoid of it). The rundown building are atmospheric (with effective music), but nothing scary to find there. You can try the demo which includes one of the higher points of the game.

Last edited by Ascovel; 08-30-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

"I don't play the games, the games play me." If a game is good it will force me to play it but if its boring I choose other things to do. Its been 2 weeks since I installed "Art of Murder" & I can't seem to get into the mood. Haven't played Sinking Island but it does look like different & more promising from other adv. games. If not it still would be be better then AoM.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:12 AM   #6

I've not played the other two, but I found the demo of The Experiment quite unique and enjoyable even though the controls take some getting used to. Somewhat bad reviews have kept me away from the full game so far though. I may pick it up eventually.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #7

I liked The Experiment very much but the controls are quite different to a point and click adventure. I'd go with Sinking Island myself. By the way, I hope you feel better.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #8

I would prefer Art of Murder to Sinking Island anytime. But then again I usualy prefer games other find uninteresting and hate games everybody around me praises.
The Experiment is pretty cool, innovative, but completely different kind of game. However, it sure is a breeze of fresh air in the point´n´click adventure games family (Although I wonder if I should call it a p´n´c AG).