You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Chris Jones/Aaron Conners game unveiled - Three Cards to Midnight

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 06:09 PM   #1
Hopeful skeptic

Default New Chris Jones/Aaron Conners game unveiled - Three Cards to Midnight

Hopefully people remember where to find the AG home page, but this is too big not to share twice.

Chris Jones and Aaron Conners (of Tex Murphy fame) are releasing a new game this November called Three Cards to Midnight. It's NOT a new Tex, but they've offered AG a few early details about the game that you can read about in our news item:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/newsitem.php?id=1728

As you'll see, there's also a teaser available, though like all teasers, it doesn't actually show that much.

For those of you who have never played a Tex Murphy game, this is big big news for the genre. Very forward-thinking developers who tell a great story without sacrificing gameplay. Branching paths, choices that matter, alternate endings, multiple difficulties, etc. Seriously, these guys get it.

And unlike most games who announce their presence aeons before release, this game is practically finished, so we should be hearing lots more about it in the coming weeks.

Instant Hype-o-Meter material!
Old 08-18-2008, 07:01 PM   #2

Instant hype-o-meter material? You better freakin' believe it! Like Gray Matter back in the day, this game has me instantly anticipating it even with the most minimal of details. Thanks for the heads up, Jackal! How unexpectedly awesome. Here's hoping it's as immersive and awe inspiring as Pandora Directive. The homage to The Twilight Zone classics makes me even more excited.

Last edited by D.C.; 08-18-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
FOT
Geek Girl

Default Three Cards to Midnight

They also are available for questions in a new FAQ they've created on the UTM web forum.

These guys are incredibily approachable, and I'm sure they are eager to deal out some more juicy tidbits about the upcoming game.

I for one, can't wait.

Linkage.....

http://www.unofficialtexmurphy.com/m...hp?f=10&t=1883

Cheers!!!!

FOT
Old 08-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
tsa
Playing character

What a fantastic belated birthday present! I can't wait. I always find it a bit strange that the Tex Murphy games are almost never mentioned here. They were very much ahead of their time in the days when they came out, with their 3D interface and the complicated storylines with often multiple endings, in-built hint system and interesting characters. So when the makers of those games announce a new game it's always good news. I'm very curious and will probably buy it as soon as it is out. It'll have to wait until I've finished Tunguska, The Moment of Silence, and the new Carol Reed mystery, however
Old 08-18-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
Instant hype-o-meter material? You better freakin' believe it! Like Gray Matter back in the day, this game has me instantly anticipating it even with the most minimal of details. Thanks for the heads up, Jackal! How unexpectedly awesome. Here's hoping it's as immersive and awe inspiring as Pandora Directive. The homage to The Twilight Zone classics makes me even more excited.
Why not replace Gray Matter with this game in the Hype-o-meter?
Old 08-18-2008, 11:14 PM   #6
Psychonaut

Great news.

I saw the teaser the other day when someone posted it on another board.

I loved Tex Murphy games so I know they can make a decent adventure.

However I wish they showed more of the game. For something so close to release I want to know if it is more than a small casual game or a full blown adventure and what it looks like.

Hopefully it won't turn out to be disappointing.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:25 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

It's a wonderful news! It was in the air for some times, but now it's just the perfect news for these last lonely days of summer!

@ Tsa: Why not replace SBCGAP with this game? It's much more fitting

EDIT: am I wrong or the teaser (particularly the last phrase) features voice by none other the Chris Jones' in person?
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 08-19-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
FOT
Geek Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
EDIT: am I wrong or the teaser (particularly the last phrase) features voice by none other the Chris Jones' in person?

Chris Jones is in the trailer for sure. The line about "Devin being out of the asylum three days ago" is him.

Methinks Aaron Conners is there as well.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #9
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
@ Tsa: Why not replace SBCGAP with this game? It's much more fitting
Well, as I said before in another thread, GM is the Duke Nukem Forever of adventure games. TCM is just about the opposite of that.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:37 PM   #10
It's just me

Yuppie! This is great news!

Hey Andrea! You're now part of the official staff. How perfectly awesome! Congratulations!
Old 08-20-2008, 08:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Hey Andrea! You're now part of the official staff. How perfectly awesome! Congratulations!
Thanks, Lunatik

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Well, as I said before in another thread, GM is the Duke Nukem Forever of adventure games.
Let's hope that this year Leipzig GC would deny this statement
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:44 PM   #12
Headbanger

Well this goes up to the top on my personal Hype-o-Meter for sure. The fact that it is planned to be released worldwide in 3 months makes it even better (lets see how that goes though).
Old 08-23-2008, 03:34 AM   #13

Is Chris Jones the same Chris Jones,who developed AGS??
Old 08-23-2008, 03:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena View Post
Is Chris Jones the same Chris Jones,who developed AGS??
No, they're two different persons.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:45 AM   #15
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Nope. They're two different famous Chris Jonses.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
Nope. They're two different famous Chris Jonses.
Which one was the lead programmer for Fallout?
Were either of them the Captain of the Mayflower or played for the Vikings?
Old 08-25-2008, 08:48 PM   #17

The official website has launched. Apparently the first screenshots are due this week. The game's length seems a little short, but according to the chat today they weren't aiming for epic, more focused and 'indie' movie-like. The site mentions the game will have a traditional 2D point-and-click interface. It will be digitally distributed too.

Last edited by D.C.; 08-25-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #18
tsa
Playing character

That site looks very beautiful and professional. Lots of info too! Worth bookmarking it I say!
Old 08-26-2008, 02:00 AM   #19

Very interesting site - I can't wait for the screenshots

In the meantime, I think I'll replay all Tex Murphy's games... just to keep in touch

Old 08-26-2008, 02:47 AM   #20
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
In the meantime, I think I'll replay all Tex Murphy's games... just to keep in touch
Even Mean Streets and Maritian Memorandum? I remember I once nearly finished Maritian Memorandum, but those dead ends on Mars were so frustrating that I finally given up.