You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Chris Jones/Aaron Conners game unveiled - Three Cards to Midnight

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2008, 02:55 PM   #61

Default Three Cards to Midnight First Person?

Judging by the latest screenshots of the game I tend to believe that the game will be FP. What do you think?
It's kind of weird that no information is given...
At least the puzzles seem superb
Old 09-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #62
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaneas297 View Post
Judging by the latest screenshots of the game I tend to believe that the game will be FP. What do you think?
Umm...and the link to these screenshots, puzzles, demo...are where?
Old 09-23-2008, 07:03 PM   #63
Super Moderator

They're on the main site:

News item

Game info page (the link to the official website is under the related links tab)
Old 09-24-2008, 02:34 AM   #64

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Are you ironic, are you?
How can you say that the puzzles looks amazing?

By the way, the new screenshots confirmed my first impression: it seems like an hidden-object-find-the-object game... Uhm, I don't know why, but I feel a doubtful sensation about the game - and I sure hope that I'll be proved wrong!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 09-24-2008, 04:23 AM   #65

Yes, but the innovative part of this game will be that you look for hidden objects in a car. Why didn't no one think about that before?
Old 09-24-2008, 04:34 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Are you ironic, are you?
How can you say that the puzzles looks amazing?

By the way, the new screenshots confirmed my first impression: it seems like an hidden-object-find-the-object game... Uhm, I don't know why, but I feel a doubtful sensation about the game - and I sure hope that I'll be proved wrong!
Of course I am not ironic.
Crossword puzzles, ancient word-symbol matching, some math problems...
This kind of puzzles are better (for me) than other meaningless puzzles I have encountered in dozens of games
Old 09-24-2008, 04:58 AM   #67

Quote:
You know, until now I didn't really have any significant experience with what you call "casual" game. A couple of days ago I started playing "sherlock holmes - Mystery of the persian carpet" and while I get the "casual" aspect in the game I find it very entertaining, compared even with a lot "non-casual" games, although a little easy. I believe that this kind of games have some potential if handled right and that's what I hope they'll do with "three cards to midnight". Add a good story and dialogue, good voice acting, more challenging puzzles...what's not to like?
Old 09-24-2008, 05:12 AM   #68

Quote:
Crossword puzzles, ancient word-symbol matching, some math problems...
This kind of puzzles are better (for me) than other meaningless puzzles I have encountered in dozens of games
I'm not questioning your tastes in puzzles, but saying that they are amazing based on three screenshots seems a bit rushed, don't you think? We don't even know how these puzzles will work. Besides, I can only add that they surely aren't my kind of puzzles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
I believe that this kind of games have some potential if handled right and that's what I hope they'll do with "three cards to midnight". Add a good story and dialogue, good voice acting, more challenging puzzles...what's not to like?
I hate the hidden objects kind of game. A matter of personal taste, that's all. In this regard, I hope that my first impression about TCTM will be proved wrong, 'cause - if the game really turns out to be a find-the-hidden-object game - I'll be extremely disappointed. And, mind you, that's because I have very high hopes toward TCTM, not because I'm negatively biased.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:39 AM   #69

Quote:
I'm not questioning your tastes in puzzles, but saying that they are amazing based on three screenshots seems a bit rushed, don't you think? We don't even know how these puzzles will work. Besides, I can only add that they surely aren't my kind of puzzles.
What do you mean "how these puzzles will work"? How can a crossword, symbol-word matching and math-symbol matching work than the "usual" way (an artifact that "helps" the solution, an information by a previous encounter etc)?
I prefer these types than puzzles whose solution cannot be derived from an information given in the game or have no logic (just move some things or push some buttons in the developers' preferences)
Old 09-24-2008, 07:42 AM   #70

Quote:
I prefer these types than puzzles whose solution cannot be derived from an information given in the game or have no logic (just move some things or push some buttons in the developers' preferences)
It's really a bad thing when developers don't insert enough hints on how to resolve a puzzle, still I think that crosswords are a bit too stand-alone (at least in the vast majority of cases) for my personal taste.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:57 PM   #71
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
They're on the main site:

News item

Game info page (the link to the official website is under the related links tab)
Ummm. No demo.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:54 AM   #72

Send a message via AIM to Gledster Send a message via MSN to Gledster Send a message via Yahoo to Gledster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney View Post
Ummm. No demo.
Not yet but hopefully soon enough!
Old 09-27-2008, 04:01 PM   #73
Evil Incarnate

It says that there will be a demo released in October, and that there will be a new trailer late September (pretty much now, hopefully any day now).
Old 10-13-2008, 12:26 AM   #74
Schattenjäger

Hi everyone! There is an update on three cards to midnight.
On the official site Chris and Aaron state that the interactive demo will be released at the end of this week and they promise to deliver the trailer before Halloween!
Here is the link to the whole statement:
http://www.bigfinishgames.com/news/index.php

I´m incredibly happy about the return of Chris and Aaron, and this is pretty much the coolest thing to me personally (gamingwise), together with the return of Jane Jensen, since the releases of GK3 in 99 and Tex Murphy Overseer in 98.

I don´t mind that it´s gonna be a 6-8 hours game and may have a simplified gameplay( despite puzzles). The reason why i can´t wait for this game is that i know, that Aaron can deliver what i still see as the largest weakness of most current adventures, a story-experience that can drag you into the game, like into a great book. There´s not many true storytellers around in this genre, and to me people like Aaron or Jane Jensen absolutely represent everything that this genre could be, and to open up new markets and catch people who don´t play games but are interested in great storys, tons of games (like Dracula Origin as a recent example) are much too superficial to reach these people. Ok, to reach new markets in general new ways of marketing would have to be approached anyway to get people interested, that normally don´t find out about any story driven game... but if this step would be taken i think it´s outstanding talents like Aaron/Chris and Jane that could take adventure gaming to a new level of recognition.

By the way i did a loooong interview with Aaron for our german website a while back, talking about all kinds of topics such as: a lot of stuff about the Tex Murphy games, his views on the adventure market, his influences and a lot of other things.
Three Cards to Midnight is not part of the interview though, since we´ll be doing a second interview with him before the release of 3 Cards, that will strictly deal with the new game.
If anyone is interested in the long interview, here is the link to the english version:
http://www.adventurecorner.de/pages.php?id=299
Old 10-13-2008, 02:56 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy2042 View Post
There´s not many true storytellers around in this genre, and to me people like Aaron or Jane Jensen absolutely represent everything that this genre could be, and to open up new markets and catch people who don´t play games but are interested in great storys, tons of games (like Dracula Origin as a recent example) are much too superficial to reach these people.
I totally agree with you, Murphy.

As you may have read in my previous posts on this thread, I only fear that they could have simplified the gameplay too much, rendering it a bit similar to those find-the-objects game*, but - hey, the interactive demo it's near and I can't wait to play it!

*Maybe I'm only trying to not put my hopes to high!

Old 10-13-2008, 08:18 AM   #76
Schattenjäger

Quote:

As you may have read in my previous posts on this thread, I only fear that they could have simplified the gameplay too much, rendering it a bit similar to those find-the-objects game*, but - hey, the interactive demo it's near and I can't wait to play it!
I know what you mean, how the gameplay will exactly look like is indeed still a little mysterious, but like you said, we should know that by the end of this week.

I could be wrong, but didn´t Aaron say something about it not being a "find the objects game" a la Women´s Murder club in one of the several 3 Cards interviews? Hmm, i don´t want to say something wrong due to a maybe mistaken memory. I´ll have a look at the interviews tomorrow, maybe i can find info on that.

Despite that i´m interested in seeing how the flashbacks will be activated in the game, since unlocking the flashbacks seems to be one of the key elements of the game.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #77
Schattenjäger

I found the interview i was referring to, it´s the one from IGN.
http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/909/909102p1.html

Aaron said "There's really not any "searching" in the traditional sense" ,
but it wasn´t related to the search and find objects element of casual games as i thought, so this question remains unanswered.

Despite that, what they said about the gameplay in the IGN interview sounds interesting.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:33 AM   #78

Luckily, we have little left to wait to have this question answered!

Old 11-06-2008, 11:12 PM   #79
Schattenjäger

Chris and Aaron published a new blog, commenting on the delay of the TCM demo, saying it will be published next week.
http://www.bigfinishgames.com/news/index.php
Old 11-07-2008, 02:52 AM   #80

Let' hope this time it will be true.