You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Chris Jones/Aaron Conners game unveiled - Three Cards to Midnight

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 05:21 AM   #41
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gledster View Post
the screenshots on the second page seem to detail more complicated puzzles and ideas
Like putting horoscope signs' names into a crossword puzzle?
Old 09-11-2008, 05:40 AM   #42
Mean Old Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
That could be for "easy" mode.

I also feel slightly uncertain about the screenshots, if I'm to be honest. But the way they talk about the game still has me psyched about it.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:45 AM   #43

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

To me, it seems that the screens and what they actually say in the interview don't mix very well: screens and words feel about two different games...

But, hey: let's think positive!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 09-11-2008, 07:28 AM   #44

Quote:
They mention that they threw in some traditional logic puzzles for the sake of it, but it sounds as if most of the puzzles in the game will be quite different from the usual.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:27 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
To me, it seems that the screens and what they actually say in the interview don't mix very well: screens and words feel about two different games...
How come?... If you're talking about the graphics then the interview mixes very well with the screens:

Aaron Conners: From the beginning, our first priority was to the script, the voice work, the music and sound effects, etc. We initially had a really simple approach to the visuals, but then we decided to up the ante a bit, but the game will not break ground with the presentation of the cinematics.

BTW I think the graphics look fine...
Old 09-11-2008, 11:06 AM   #46

No, I was talking about the puzzle design that Aaron and Chris described in the interview and what I perceive from the screens: they seemed to me like a casual game's screens, one of those find-the-right-object game that are quite famous these days. My fear is that the player won't have anything to do besides clicking on the screen hoping to catch the right object.

I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong, it was only the feeling that the screenshots gave to me
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:34 AM   #47

Well...don't take this the wrong way but I think is silly to draw conclusions about a game's puzzle design from a picture of a living room (or whatever else those rooms are).
All we saw were 5 screen shots for crying out loud and already you people are complaining...
Old 09-11-2008, 05:47 PM   #48

Send a message via AIM to Gledster Send a message via MSN to Gledster Send a message via Yahoo to Gledster

I wouldn't call it complaining. We're speculating, being careful. We're aware of the reputation these guys have with regards to adventure games and we're being careful not to psych ourselves up too much in case we're REALLY disappointed.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:33 PM   #49

Yeah I know what you mean. I also rarely get excited about a game and I'm always cautious but I think there are reasons to be hopeful about this one. I'm sure it won't be the same quality of a tex murphy game but I believe it will be far better than the majority of the adventure games we get to play these days...
Old 09-12-2008, 01:34 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
All we saw were 5 screen shots for crying out loud and already you people are complaining...
As Gledster already noted, it's not complaint: it's speculation. I was reporting an impression, a feeling from a screenshots. And in my previous posts I made extremely clear that I hope to be proven wrong by the game itself.

I don't know if it will be better than the majority of the games we play today, as I'm always suspicious when I hear the word "casual", but I'm sure that its story will be far, far away from the average of today adventures

Old 09-12-2008, 02:36 AM   #51

Quote:
I'm always suspicious when I hear the word "casual"
Actually, the word "casual" wasn't mentioned anywhere in the interview...

I know you were just speculating but it still seems to me that it's an awful lot of negative speculation coming from just 5 screenshots. It seemed to me you were concentrating on the negative aspects... but I may be wrong.

I guess I'm really hopeful about this game and it annoyed me that people immediately started "seeing" what's wrong with this game...

Last edited by Keregioz; 09-12-2008 at 02:48 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:43 AM   #52

Quote:
Actually, the word "casual" wasn't mentioned anywhere in the interview...
Gosh, you're right: I must have over-read some passage. Immediately erase my previous statement

My hopes get high again, thanks for correcting me!

Quote:
Anyway, I know you were just speculating but it still seems to me that it's an awful lot of negative speculation coming from just 5 screenshots.
Well, I can only tell you that the crossword screenshot didn't appeal to me, and that's for sure the only screen that disappointed me a bit. As for the others screens, I was only noting that they reminded me of that kind of game (find the object), with zero character interaction: maybe the demo (late September as the site says) will clarify my ideas

Old 09-12-2008, 02:54 AM   #53

Quote:
Well, I can only tell you that the crossword screenshot didn't appeal to me

Yes, I agree about that screen...this puzzle seems a little too simple (although in the game maybe it will prove to be something different that it seems). But why be disappointed about a puzzle? All games have some "not so successful" puzzles. I know you're a big fan of the gk series so you know what I'm talking about .
Old 09-12-2008, 03:35 AM   #54
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Yes, I agree about that screen...this puzzle seems a little too simple (although in the game maybe it will prove to be something different that it seems). But why be disappointed about a puzzle? All games have some "not so successful" puzzles. I know you're a big fan of the gk series so you know what I'm talking about .
I'm also a big fan of the GK series and I don't know what you are talking about. I was a very fond of the cat hair moustache puzzle in GK3 if that's what you are referring to. It is very similar to puzzles from older Sierra adventure games (including GK1) and I was disappointed there wasn't anything like it further in the game.

Anyway, the crossword puzzle looks like something children would do at primary school and that's what I personally find unsettling about it. This apparent easiness can't be accidental. Maybe "it will prove to be something different than it seems" like you say, but I rather suspect it's the result of setting the ultra easy difficulty level in the options.

For now the game reminds me of the puzzle game Fool's Errand (including the importance of card illustrations). Only that one was very difficult.

Last edited by Ascovel; 09-12-2008 at 03:40 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:05 AM   #55

Quote:
I'm also a big fan of the GK series and I don't know what you are talking about. I was a very fond of the cat hair moustache puzzle in GK3 if that's what you are referring to. It is very similar to puzzles from older Sierra adventure games (including GK1) and I was disappointed there wasn't anything like it further in the game.
Ascovel said everything I wanted to say, so I guess that quoting is enough.

As for the crossword puzzle: Keregioz, I was disappointed because I was hoping on something else; puzzles of a different kind, if you want - and of course I know that there will be plenty of different puzzles in the final game, it's just that this one made me suspicious

It may be an adventurer-sense-of-preservation kind of thing

Old 09-12-2008, 05:26 AM   #56

Yeah, ok...I get the feeling that you're both a tiny bit biased when talking about gk so I won't argue any further about that and also I'm afraid I will hijack the thread if I did.
I'm sure you both got my point though, let's not judge a game because of one puzzle...
Old 09-12-2008, 05:31 AM   #57

Quote:
Yeah, ok...I get the feeling that you're both a tiny bit biased when talking about gk [...]
Maybe the same tiny bit you are about Three Cards to Midnight

No one is judging the game, especially because no one has yet played it. We're only expressing an opinion on the scarce info we have about the game: a bit of a plot, two interviews and a bunch of screenshots. Everyone can judge what now appears of the game by himself.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:42 AM   #58

I didn't say the game will definitely be good, I just said we don't have enough information yet to say it's not.

But like you said, let's just wait and see....fingers crossed.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:46 AM   #59

That's for sure: as the two of them said, if this game will be successful there's the possibility of another Tex Murphy's game, and that would be huge!

Old 09-12-2008, 04:04 PM   #60

Send a message via AIM to Gledster Send a message via MSN to Gledster Send a message via Yahoo to Gledster

Quote:
That's for sure: as the two of them said, if this game will be successful there's the possibility of another Tex Murphy's game, and that would be huge!
If that ever happened I honestly don't know how I'd cope!

I'd have to take a month of work and play it solid.

"My gun, oh how I love my gun!" - From UAKM.