Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   The Dig (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/23067-dig.html)

colpet 08-11-2008 06:23 AM

The Dig

I started playing this over the weekend and am pleasantly surprised. There's lots of puzzles and the dialogue is usually kept to cut scenes. It's a game I'm looking forward to getting back to. I'm playing it on my Win95, but I've been told it plays well on newer computers with ScummV.

NZoidus 08-11-2008 06:56 AM

Oh I very much agree! I LOVE that game (despite some of the bad rep it gets), I think it's wonderful, from the puzzles to the art direction to the beautiful music by Michael Land. I even have the novel by Alan Dean Foster!
Oh, if you DO wanna play it on a newer computer I suggest using a program called VDMSound, I found it works much better on that than ScummVM. :)

Jelena 08-11-2008 07:30 AM

I also enjoyed The Dig. IIRC I played it on my XP without any trouble.

AndreaDraco83 08-11-2008 07:57 AM

The Dig is the only game by LucasArts that I really, really enjoyed, despite some too hard puzzles. It has a great storyline, a very mature one, and a very intriguing rarefied atmosphere - a must play, without any doubt.

Collector 08-11-2008 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NZoidus (Post 478264)
Oh, if you DO wanna play it on a newer computer I suggest using a program called VDMSound, I found it works much better on that than ScummVM.

Where would you get that idea? VDMS is a dead project. The game works great with ScummVM. If it's been a while since you tried it, there have been several new versions of ScummVM. Even so, DOSBox is a more viable solution for DOS games than VDMS.

Jadefalcon 08-11-2008 09:02 AM

I remember playing that game years ago and wish I still had it. I don't know if it would even be possible to get it working on Vista now.

I do however remember how frustrating the fossil puzzle was...

tastebud 08-11-2008 09:25 AM

Worked for me on Vista with ScummVM.

MdaG 08-11-2008 09:27 AM

Even works like a charm on my PSP with ScummVM.

Christian IV 08-14-2008 06:05 PM

Both ScummVM and VDMS will play Dig fine, tho ScummVM is the best....any version recent will do well, i am using the latest build 0.12.00.0 and it runs all my collection of LucasArts games, (and i have em all) just fine and a number of other classics as well very nicely with all the features including the Simons I and II, all the Kyrandias, and a number of others. Enjoy.

colpet 08-15-2008 03:30 AM

I finished The Dig. It was very entertaining. The puzzles were logical, and even though there was some backtracking, the rest of the game made up for it. I also appreciated the inventory items changing color when you had found out all you could. It cut down on the repetitons.I thought the voice acting was good, and the characters believable, but the best thing was the detailed, colorful background elements. I know there was music, but it was so unobtrusive that I can't specifically remeber it being there. I suppose that's a good thing.
I did find it funny, coming off Rhem 2 that I caught myself noticing everything (especially the colors and shapes in the landscape) thinking they may be important. After trying to draw each area, I realised that the bright colors and geometrical shapes were part of the alien atmosphere, not clues to a puzzle.
All in all, a well balanced game. I'm glad to have experienced it.

VictimOfScience 08-15-2008 04:56 AM

One of my top 3 LucasArts games (alongside FoA and MI2). It plays amazingly well through the scummVM on my XP PC, PSP, and my Wii (just got that one going with the Homebrew Channel--straight-up AWESOMENESS). I read the novel and have the audiobook and both soundtracks. One of the best experiences in gaming that I have ever had. Glad you enjoyed!!

Jatsie 08-15-2008 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jadefalcon (Post 478277)
I do however remember how frustrating the fossil puzzle was...

I completely agree. I solved the puzzle myself the first time, but with every subsequent replay I consult a guide simply because it annoys me too much.

The Dig is a great, if underrated, game.

colpet 08-16-2008 04:37 AM

I solved the fossil puzzle easily enough, but it was :
Spoiler:
the rest that I didn't know to do. I had no idea he was supposed to enter the water.

Trader 08-16-2008 05:29 AM

Oh man I loved this game, wished they made a second one that would be pretty cool.