You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure All info on Quantic Dream's Heavy Rain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #41
handsome

Quick Time Events? No thanks

The rest looks cool.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #42
Banned User

Well if your a fan of Indigo Prophecy, the Quick Time Events is no problem. It looks mediocre though. Can't wait to see real gameplay.

Again, remember, this is going to stand up against other games. If it doesn't serve good gameplay, it will get lost in the rest of bad PS3 games.

Sure some will say 'We know the game will be good because of Indigo'. Well that doesn't mean anything. There are plenty of companies that had made a good game, but later make a piece of crap. Like Rare, or Factor 5.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:40 AM   #43

Yeah grapes are sour.
http://www.community-team.com/elixor.../gc2008_35.jpg

feel jealous
http://www.community-team.com/elixor.../gc2008_53.jpg
http://www.community-team.com/elixor.../gc2008_54.jpg

Last edited by nomadsoul; 08-21-2008 at 05:49 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:08 AM   #44
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
Well if your a fan of Indigo Prophecy, the Quick Time Events is no problem.
I've never tried Indigo Prophecy but I'm guessing that it's something kinda like Broken Sword 3 but you won't die if you press the wrong one, no?

Well, I simply never liked QTE, that's why I didn't like playing RE4, God of War and BrokenSword 3. I prefer something simple and cool like MGS3.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:30 AM   #45

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I've just seen the new trailer of the game... terrific - in fact, so terrific I don't think I will ever play it: I'm faint of heart...
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 08-21-2008, 01:39 PM   #46

When describing a game like Heavy Rain, you've got to start with your most immediate impressions: the graphics. Heavy Rain's visuals look so phenomenal, so realistic, so lavish, that they probably qualify as the most impressive graphics ever produced for a video game.

so much for crysis lol

http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps3/game...s/206764.shtml

really positive feedback form all the press who have seen the demo, this game will own even the haters
Old 08-21-2008, 06:20 PM   #47
MoP
Comfortably Numb

Looks like 'the next level of Fahrenheit'. And since I really enjoyed that game, this new info would be enough for me to buy this one. Alas...

Anyway, visually impressive, but (and this is probably just me) didn't leave me drooling with my eyes burned out or anything. But that's probably because I usually play older games (even though my PC can handle modern flashy eye-candy) and most recent titles just look evenly pretty to me. Computer graphics reached a certain level of sophistication that I guess left me less sensitive to its improvements. I'm sure people well-versed in the latest achievements in the field can appreciate the new next-gen-anti-anisotropic-bloom-blenders and such.

Currently playing the Phantasmagoria/Shivers games so I'm in the mood for thriller themes. The premise is intriguing enough to keep me interested.

One of the biggest selling points of Fahrenheit, the non-linearity and different ways of overcoming obstacles was a bit overhyped, the consequences of actions often cosmetic. Glad to see they're expanding on this (including death as another path of playing the game is a great idea).

One of the biggest complaints about Fahrenheit, the repetitive and boring SimonSays type gameplay elements... are apparently still there. I'm really not a fan of those (Quick Time Events you call them? ... +1 console-game-gameplay-mechanic-knowledge). I see why they're there... QD is focusing on a cinematic experience, and traditional puzzle-type elements would break this 'flow'... but I'd really hope they'd find another way of achieving this...

I'd really love to play this, hopefully a PC port will eventually happen. But if not, since QD latest games appear to be closer to interactive movies, I should be fine with watching a few playthroughs.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:41 AM   #48

Watched the trailer.

Cage's misguided obsession with mocap shows in the complete lack of facial expression. The face looks dead. Game needs animation.

Also: Quick Time Events are NOT gameplay.

However, some of what VictimOfScience describes sounds interesting so I'll reserve final judgement until I get a chance to play this myself.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:05 AM   #49
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

This sounds really cool. I wish it were coming to Wii instead of PS3, so that I might get to play it someday. But it seems he's too attached to his pretty graphics.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:51 AM   #50
gin soaked boy

So I suppose nobody noticed that Heavy Rain's implementation of QTE seems to be a step backwards from Fahrenheit? Most action sequences in that game required you to move analog sticks in set directions. The idea was to imitate movements of on-screen characters and thus create a tactile bond between the player and the character.

Now that's gone and replaced with the usual (and quite annoying) press-this-face-button-to-avoid-failure routine. Not only is the bond broken, it also makes the game harder for people not adept to playing with a PS controller (and Heavy Rain is allegedly trying to attract people who traditionally don't play video games). What I mean is, pretty much anyone can quickly react to the "push the left stick forward" or "push the right stick to the left" command, but to be as efficient with "push the X button" or "push the O button", one first has to know where the said button lies on the controller and then quickly move his/her thumb from one button to the next. I'm surprised they decided to go with that fiddly and frankly awful control scheme. I'm also skeptical about the new movement interface, but perhaps in practice it won't be as strange and restrictive as it sound on paper.

Other than that, I'm intrigued.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:37 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
Other than that, I'm intrigued.
This might help all of you here in your dismissal of the so-called QTEs that many of you are hung-up on:

Posted by Byoushinn on the PS3Forum:
People are assuming that QTE = press a load of buttons that it tells you to do to make the cutscene playthrough properly, which is wrong in this instance. A quick time event is when you have to follow a series of button presses to achieve a goal, what is shown here is a number of options, which are selected via QTE-like buttons appearing on screen. So for instance, in a particular event, Madison will be pushed on her back, and Triangle might flash above a knife that's lay on the floor, Square might flash above a bucket, and X might prompt her to kick the attacker in the foot so he stumbles allowing her to get away, it's much more than just pressing what it tells you to press. That particular scenario allows the player to do stuff like, hide somewhere in the house, and ring the police who will come and arrest the man, or you could attempt to sneak out of the house without being seen, or as shown in the trailer, madison is seen and has to fight her attacker off so she can escape through the garage, she can actually be murdered and the story will continue, and Madison herself will be able to kill the attacker if you decide to play it that way - so QTEs doesn't mean like 'on the rails' cutscenes here, it means a hell of a lot more.

Other control info:

--First Cage has told us that you only control the head and shoulders on the character, you just press a button to move forwards. (This sounds like one of the most intuitive and engrossing controls schemes around.)

--Everything in the game is context sensitive, we are told.

--“Everything in the interface is design for emotion, to make you feel what your character feels,” said Cage.

--You can use the Sixaxis to open windows and look through keyholes. In fact, everything you see “in the set” is interactive. You can sit anywhere, turn on the TV, open all the doors in the house - which incidentally was created by an architect who is part of the development team.

--Cage tells us you can use chainsaws and screwdriver to kill [the taxidermist]. He could get arrested etc. Loads of possibilities. There are over 60 scenes like this, he says.

So as you can gather, you control the story more than you control the character directly, though there is HUGE amount of that as well. This sounds to me like everything they originally wanted Fahrenheit to be, but perfected to a level that is leagues beyond what most game designers are imagining currently. At least a demo is confirmed so you nay-sayers will finally have your say as to whether or not you actually like it based on first-hand evidence as opposed to simply watching a trailer and reading posts about a game based around QTEs on the internet.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:57 AM   #52
gin soaked boy

Um, that's still exactly what I said it was.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #53
Banned User

Awesome, an interactive movie. (Don't take that the wrong way. Its a compliment)
Old 08-22-2008, 09:28 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
Um, that's still exactly what I said it was.
Terrific.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #55

While that's less bad than God of War in that it involves actual decisions it's still an oddly artificial form of interaction.

Also, how can you decide where to go if there's only a button for "move forward"?
Old 08-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #56
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post
Also, how can you decide where to go if there's only a button for "move forward"?
Moving the left stick turns the character's head, then pressing the left trigger moves the character in that direction. Yes, sounds a bit clunky (reminds me of early Resident Evil games), but it might work. I'll reserve my judgment about that one until I play it myself.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:02 AM   #57
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictimOfScience View Post
So for instance, in a particular event, Madison will be pushed on her back, and Triangle might flash above a knife that's lay on the floor, Square might flash above a bucket, and X might prompt her to kick the attacker in the foot so he stumbles allowing her to get away, it's much more than just pressing what it tells you to press.
This doesn't address the problem of finding the buttons on the controller. In fact, this makes it a lot worse because the player not only has to find the button they need to decide which button they want to find. Presumably the situation will be played out in real-time so whilst it isn't "press THIS button to avoid failure" it''s still "press A button to avoid failure". I'd also worry that the options could be ambiguous. Does X on her leg mean try to stand up or kick? Does Triangle on the knife mean using it immediately or waving it to try to get the attacker to back off? I'd need to see a specific scenario in action to judge but I can see this producing a lot of "That wasn't what I wanted to do" moments.

However, I think the real problem with QTE for most adventure players is that they involve hand-eye co-ordination in a similar way to more action-oriented genres. Maybe the reason some people play adventures is because they don't have such skills or want a change of pace that doesn't require them.

As for the rest of the info, some of it seems to be making over-ambitious claims that I'm concerned the final game won't be able to deliver on. For example saying everything you see is interactive feels like a wild claim. If I can "sit anywhere" can I sit on a table or on the TV? Can I interact with all the furniture to move it to the centre of a room, grab paint and a brush from the garage, and redecorate? Claims of ultimate interactivity always risk falling flat simply, because the amount of programming necessary for each new action means there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

Not quite sure you can really say this is "perfected to a level that is leagues beyond what most game designers are imagining currently." The aims are certainly ambitious but I'd at least need a demo to be sure they aren't more than wishful thinking. It's easy to say that you're creating something revolutionary but it's quite another to actually do it.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree

Last edited by stepurhan; 08-23-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:23 PM   #58

Atleast turning head and prerssing to move forward + exploring environements is enough against your typical point and click adventure game, seriosuly how hard it is to click on screen, is it any better than QTE , a person who can get stimulated by clicking on images(pixel hunting) can easily enjoy this game.

anyways

best menu ever

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39066.html

and new outstanding pics

http://www.play3-live.com/screens/he...19434950_1.jpg
http://www.play3-live.com/screens/he...19434954_3.jpg
http://www.play3-live.com/screens/he...19434955_4.jpg
http://www.play3-live.com/screens/he...19434957_5.jpg

can't wait for actual demo video
Old 08-23-2008, 10:58 PM   #59

I've got to add because I'm seeing this all over the net-people complaining/minimizing this game because it has "QTE." Well first, for the people that don't follow the industry closely, Quantic Dream has clearly stated that these are NOT QTE in the traditional sense, but context-sensitive choices you can make. You don't have to press any of the buttons if you don't, and each time the outcome will be different and affect the storyline. And for the people that do follow, read more carefully because there's a HUGE different between QTE and what Quantic Dream is doing with this game. In a year the adventure genre will finally be reborn...Thank you Quantic Dream.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:13 AM   #60

The best game in 21st century yet anyone ?