You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure All info on Quantic Dream's Heavy Rain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 02:52 AM   #201
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
No, of course not. But I wasn't expecting - better, I wasn't hoping for a Dragon's Lair revamp either.
Ah, your in luck. its not a Dragon's Lair revamp either. I take it you never played Indigo Prophecy. Otherwise, you would understand how the game would work.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:58 AM   #202

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Actually I played Fahrenheit. And I perfectly understand how it works: Get Ready! - push, push, push - tap, tap, tap

Now, all jokes aside, I have the maximum respect for David Cage, who is an amazing storyteller, and I utterly appreciate his far-seeing approach, but I can't really say that I'm a fan of this particular gameplay, which I usually find kind of detached.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 08-19-2009, 05:27 AM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Actually I played Fahrenheit. And I perfectly understand how it works: Get Ready! - push, push, push - tap, tap, tap

Now, all jokes aside, I have the maximum respect for David Cage, who is an amazing storyteller, and I utterly appreciate his far-seeing approach, but I can't really say that I'm a fan of this particular gameplay, which I usually find kind of detached.
Agreed. I hope it has more simply walking around talking to people than button pressing. Anachronox had a really mediocre-at-best (mostly due to the game shipping at 60% completion) JRPG battle system and the rest was walking around talking to people and solving little puzzles and it's one of the greatest games of all time and should really qualify as an adventure if it didn't try to label itself as an RPG. I really want this game to be fun, but I'm afraid that too much pressing X to not die is just going to ruin it like so many games before it.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #204

Taking in account what I saw of Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit so far I feel that David Cage's definition of mature games would be "serious games devoid of any humor". And that feels a bit unnatural to me.
Otherwise it looks interesting. I surely would buy if I had a PS3.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #205
Staff Member

Send a message via AIM to Citizen Arcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Taking in account what I saw of Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit so far I feel that David Cage's definition of mature games would be "serious games devoid of any humor". And that feels a bit unnatural to me.
Otherwise it looks interesting. I surely would buy if I had a PS3.
Fahrenheit had some humor. I don't remember ever laughing my ass off, but it wasn't entirely grim and foreboding.

My hope with Heavy Rain is that Quantic Dream can avoid the downright stupid turns that the plot took in Fahrenheit. I still feel that Fahrenheit has just about the greatest two opening hours of gameplay ever... and it's all downhill from there as we go from psychological thriller and clever game of cat-and-mouse between killer and cops... to Mayan prophecies and overly Matrix-ized fight scenes.

Also, the quick-time events in Fahrenheit often felt like you were watching a cutscene while playing DDR on your keyboard rather than controlling the action on-screen. I'm not against QTEs... I think they can be fantastic when well-done (God of War, Resident Evil 4), so I hope Cage and co. have been taking notes. It's possible to make QTEs that involve the player in actions that would otherwise be impossible with standard controls, rather than detach the players from the action and make them mediocre interactive cutscenes.

Overall, though, I'm hugely excited for Heavy Rain, and have been for the past... oh my god... four years. I love what Quantic Dream is trying to do, even if they've rarely pulled it off without serious flaws.

Don't look at me, I'm just a writer.

Currently playing: The Witcher, Battlefield 3
Just finished: Mass Effect 3, Corrosion: Cold Winter Waiting
Coming up: Gemini Rue, The Witcher 2, Max Payne 3
Old 08-19-2009, 11:48 AM   #206
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Silent Hill 2 had no humour whatsoever and it's considered one of the finest games of its type. I'm not sure what your point is.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-19-2009, 01:12 PM   #207
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Silent Hill 2 had no humour whatsoever and it's considered one of the finest games of its type. I'm not sure what your point is.
Are you telling me that you didn't laugh when
Spoiler:
the zombies started falling from the sky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Arcane View Post
I'm not against QTEs... I think they can be fantastic when well-done (God of War, Resident Evil 4)
riiiight ...
Old 08-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #208
Staff Member

Send a message via AIM to Citizen Arcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
riiiight ...
I'm serious. I think they're overused, but I don't think they're inherently bad.

God of War (1 + 2) had some thrilling boss fights that made heavy, heavy use of QTEs.

Don't look at me, I'm just a writer.

Currently playing: The Witcher, Battlefield 3
Just finished: Mass Effect 3, Corrosion: Cold Winter Waiting
Coming up: Gemini Rue, The Witcher 2, Max Payne 3
Old 08-20-2009, 02:45 AM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
That's true. I think there's a difference when you're all alone, facing, fighting the supernatural, compared to an investigation game like Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain where you're still under "normal" people, you know?
It's my impression, not an argument, so there may be no point, anyway.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #210

Has anyone got a spare PS3?
Old 08-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #211
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenium View Post
Has anyone got a spare PS3?
I'll be getting one myself later this year. The new Slim model is out at $300 (give or take a few details), should give the 360 a run for its money (which I already have along with a Wii). Looking forward to Heavy Rain as well as L.A. Noir and other titles.

More high production caliber adventures should be made for consoles. This is anecdotal but it does show how many of gamers are responding - tons of us over at sites like Joystiq, Gay Gamers, and Gametrailers are falling over ourselves with excitement over Heavy Rain. And yeah, tons of us are non-hardcore adventure game players. We love games that take you on an emotional journey and offer new experiences that conventional games don't.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #212
merely human

Heavy Rain's David Cage wants to set the record straight on QTEs | Joystiq, 8/20/09

Quote:
"No! We don't make Dragon's Lair! This is not Dragon's Lair – do you think I'm crazy? I'm not stupid. Do you think I develop on PlayStation 3 to do Dragon's Lair again? It would be absurd. Of course it's not." We typically lead into quotes with a bit more background than that, but those who've read message board diatribes dismissing the upcoming Heavy Rain as nothing more than a series of Quick Time Events surely understand the frustration of Quantic Dream founder David Cage -- who owns the mouth from which the above quote was uttered during a press demonstration at GamesCom 2009.

Cage went on to explain "when there is an action sequence, yes we integrate [these] QTE sequences," but the rest of the time, the player will have full control as they navigate the game's four characters through a deep, choice-riddled story.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #213

hehe he feels pissed and also demos new scene

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/...ur-heavy-rain/
Old 08-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #214
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadsoul View Post
Thanks! Oh, and to those of you about to click that link, it's a moderate spoiler. I love the multiple camera angles, very Brian de Palma.

This game (among a few others) proves that moronic slider and inventory puzzles ARE NOT THE ONLY THINGS that an adventure game must be about.

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 08-20-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #215
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadsoul View Post
So.. its not Dragon's Lair, its KINDA like Dragon's Lair.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #216

Preview of another demo(of ethan)

sounds very promising and emotional, must read

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/101/1016656p1.html

(i like the subtle music thing^^)

same scene of shelby with different ending

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/heav...eplay?size=med

What is best about the game is main character death, i am going to make shelby and jayden die in my fisrt playthrough asap.
Good to have 4 characters so that you can select the ones you prefer more, i like both madison and ethan, but i have feeling that jayden will be cool too.

There are 60 scenarios, plenty of different scenes.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #217
Homer of Kittens

This game is looking more awesome every time I see it. I don't understand the hate that it is a bunch of quick time events. There is an intriguing story here, very complex characters, and emotional story telling rarely seen in the video gaming medium. So what if it involves a different mechanic than what we are used to. We have already seen it in Indigo Prophecy and it worked wonderfully there.

Firefox rules
Old 08-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #218

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
There is an intriguing story here, very complex characters, and emotional story telling rarely seen in the video gaming medium.
Is there? I hope so, and once I played the game I'll know for sure

As for the QTE, I don't mind them if they are done well. And the ones in Fahrenheit weren't. Judging from what I've seen so far of HR, at least they got rid of the coloured rings.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 08-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #219

Sony just revealed that they are going to employ several Dutch top actors to do the Dutch voices. It also means that they're very serious about releasing it.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
This game is looking more awesome every time I see it. I don't understand the hate that it is a bunch of quick time events. There is an intriguing story here, very complex characters, and emotional story telling rarely seen in the video gaming medium. So what if it involves a different mechanic than what we are used to. We have already seen it in Indigo Prophecy and it worked wonderfully there.

Whats interesting is that these same people are very comfortable with AUTOPILOT ACTION adventure games like recent PoP and Batman, just because they have pedigree. There are more games with worse/streamlined gameplay like ac, prototype, with challenge/gameplay totally laughable specially for ACTION/adv., and these same people complaining about no gameplay/onrails/QTE runs from demonsouls type games too.

Anyways
New interview

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/...ellin-stories/