You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Am I the only one defeated by RHEM 2?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
The Major Grubert.

Default Am I the only one defeated by RHEM 2?

I played RHEM 1 and totally enjoyed it, but after 3 tries, I cannot finish RHEM 2 (yes. I know that RHEM 3 is out). It leaves me totally devestated whenever I try to hunker down and resolve it.

Am I the only one?
Old 07-25-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
Stalker of Britain

The FIRST "Rhem" killed me. This is just my humble opinion, but it was puzzle centric, when I like plot/character centric. The graphics looked kind of plain, and it just reminded me of another Myst clone.

No offense meant.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #3

"Myst clone" is a misnomer. Games that are called such are usually woefully unworthy of the name. The Myst series stands alone imo and no offense taken.

I slogged through Rhem and partway through Rhem 2 and decided that taking copius notes was not my idea of having fun in a game. I almost bought Rhem 3 because I admire the crafting by one individual, but bought Culpa Innata insread.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
Stalker of Britain

Yes, the wanna-be games usually are not worthy of being a copy. I didn't think the graphics of Rhem were ANYWHERE near Myst, and I may be wrong, but I heard there isn't much of a story (and DEFINETELY no character interaction), which are the two most important things in a game for me.
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-26-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
Easily amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
I played RHEM 1 and totally enjoyed it, but after 3 tries, I cannot finish RHEM 2 (yes. I know that RHEM 3 is out). It leaves me totally devestated whenever I try to hunker down and resolve it.

Am I the only one?
I guess it depends if you are playing it without any help or not.
I'm playing it right now, and admit that I needed a hint or two in the towers part. But once I got myself nudged in the right direction, many of the previously unconnected bits started to fall into place. That's what I love about these games - the 'ah-ha' moments when you finally get it. Knut always manages to find some other way to make you think outside the box. Sometimes it's as simple as needing to push and hold a button to make something work, other times it's forcing you to make 3D relationships in a 2D game. He's a genius at this type ot thing.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:58 PM   #6

The RHEM games are closer to being pure puzzle games than the Myst games. The RHEM environment doesn't have the beauty of the Myst worlds. As mental challenges the RHEM games have excellent puzzles that can be very satisfying to solve. But if you're playing a RHEM game for any reason other than the joy of solving the puzzles, you're probably playing the wrong game.

For myself, I enjoy all the RHEM games and the second one is my favorite. They are among my favorite games. But I can see why they aren't for everyone.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:31 PM   #7
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post

Am I the only one?

I can't get through these types of games without some help from a walkthrough. I love the puzzle type games, but they are hard for my brain. So I commend you on the fact that you tried it three times without any help apparently. You have more patience then I ever would. Check out a walkthrough. There's nothing wrong with getting a little "help" or "hint" from them sometimes if you are getting frustrated.

I couldn't finish Schizm. That was the one puzzle game I could not finish and it frustrated me to no end so I know how you feel.

I haven't played any of the RHEM games yet. Good luck if you give it another go.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:21 PM   #8
Stalker of Britain

I like puzzles in games, like I went through the Myst games. They are some of my favorite games, but those puzzles are really hard for me, so I had to peek at a walkthrough (most) of the time. *hangs head in shame* But the reason I kept plowing through was that the plot and characters were amazing, and I wanted to know more (which is why I was so happy with the books they made!!!). That's probably why I can't get into Rhem, because it's almost purely puzzle.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:21 PM   #9

^^^^
I agree. "Think" puzzles are my favorites too. I find though that I need a pretty good payoff for the effort or I tend to feel a bit cheated. In Myst and in Schism new and beautiful areas were opened up. Even that annoying Schism bridge puzzle that had to be solved twice was bearable if it advanced the exploration. In Rhem I realized the only satisfaction was in solving the puzzles and yearned for a more "adventure-y" game, but that's just me.

There's no shame in a hint or two and I have been known to blatantly use a walkthrough in mediocre games that I just want to get through, but I like to savor the best ones by working them out myself.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:41 PM   #10
Stalker of Britain

I agree with you totally, Dara. I am kind of not good at doing puzzles, and I'm more interested in the story, so I'd use walkthroughs. But I vowed to play Myst:Uru without one, even though it's just finding pieces, and not like the earlier, harder puzzles. But I really like those games, so I want to savor it, and try to do the puzzles on my own. It gave me a great thrill of accomplishment when I actually completed an Uru puzzle by myself. But some of the games that I'm not crazy about, I use a walkthrough. Or more, look at what I need to do next while stuck somewhere...which is often. lol Bad, BAD adventure game fan...

And I don't suppose any of you can lead me in a direction or know a person I can PM about either "The Forgotten: It Begins" or "The Black Mirror"...?
Old 07-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #11
The Major Grubert.

Oh I have no problem with hints. I couldn't have finished any Myst or RHEM I without one. But for RHEM II, I was totallly ruined by it, even with hints. (I don't want to play a game led by the nose, so hints are all I will take, or at the most, glances at complete walkthrough.)
Old 07-29-2008, 06:12 AM   #12
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Hey, don't give up now, Speck! AGers are great for supplying hints (if you're not already doing so.)

FGM used to refer to RHEM as "Myst for Plumbers", so I'd say RHEM 2 would be "Myst for Electricians"! I loved RHEM 2 as much as the first game, and yes, I too, really want to play RHEM 3.

Again, the interconnectivity of the whole complex in RHEM 2 is staggering. I actually managed to get to the cavern complex with absolutely no hints, but I failed to make certain "correlations" in that second section. Also, the Glass Maze stumped me at first... Would anyone believe I constructed my own map of the Maze out of Legos to help me keep track of all the sliding doors??? (It definitely helped!)
Old 07-29-2008, 09:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkyo View Post
Also, the Glass Maze stumped me at first... Would anyone believe I constructed my own map of the Maze out of Legos to help me keep track of all the sliding doors??? (It definitely helped!)
I wish I'd had Legos to help. I just couldn't do that Glass Maze. After a few hours I threw in the towel and used the walkthrough for it. Maybe I should invest in some Legos.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:47 PM   #14
Flower bower bird

Having played all 3 now, I think Rhem 2 is the toughest. It took me quite a while to get my head wrapped around some of the puzzles, especially that rabafratzen mirror maze, but as Colpet said, the moments of enlightenment were worth it. It may just be that you're just not in the mood for it right now, Speck. I bought it when it first came out, but held off starting it until #3 came out, simply because I knew the timing wasn't right for me.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kestrel View Post
Having played all 3 now, I think Rhem 2 is the toughest.
Really?
I thought RHEM 3 was the toughest.
I thought RHEM 2 was the easiest -- not that any of them are easy.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:05 PM   #16
Flower bower bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple View Post
Really?
I thought RHEM 3 was the toughest.
I thought RHEM 2 was the easiest -- not that any of them are easy.
I guess it just depends on which puzzles seem more intuitive to the player. For me, there was less uncertainty as to what I needed to do in Rhem 3, except for some stuckedness in the bridge area and with a certain tricky elevator. It wasn't easy by any means, but it flowed better for me.

Last edited by Lady Kestrel; 07-30-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kestrel View Post
I guess it just depends on which puzzles seem more intuitive to the player. For me, there was less uncertainty as to what I needed to do in Rhem 3, except for some stuckedness in the bridge area and with a certain tricky elevator. It wasn't easy by any means, but it flowed better for me.
Yes I think it depends on the player. I had a lot of trouble finding my way around in RHEM 3 -- kept finding myself on the wrong side of a door, or a ladder, with no idea how to get where I wanted to go. And that room where you had to
Spoiler:
turn out all the lights in order to open a door
-- that room constantly disoriented me. I didn't get lost so much in RHEM 2.