You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What is the longest Adventure game in the last 3-4 years?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2008, 06:36 AM   #1

Default What is the longest Adventure game in the last 3-4 years?

I was wondering about this! How long is that game?

Also maybe someone could say how long these are

Dreamfall

Broken Sword 4: Angel Of Death

Dracula: Origin

Jack Keane

Well

Last edited by Ziggy Stardust; 07-28-2008 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:11 AM   #2

Maybe I haven't played all the major titles out there in the last few years, but I definitely invested more time into The Lost Crown than any adventure since The Longest Journey, back in late '00.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:24 AM   #3
Sik

How do you measure how long an adventure game is?

1. Shortest possible path through using a walkthrough
2. Longest path through, using a walkthrough, but making sure to listen to all dialogue, see everything while playing.
3. Assume no walkthrough, and take difficulty into account.

For both 1 and 2 I'd say Dreamfall. It took me about 16 hours to play through it the second time, making sure I didn't miss out on anything. It's not a particularly difficult game, though, so it didn't take much more than that the first time through either.

16 hours may not sound like much, but in my experience most adventure games take 5-8 hours to play through the second time around. Then again 3D games take longer to navigate through than point and click ones. Almost all adventure games have more "puzzle solving time" than Dreamfall.

Anyway, taking diffculty into account, I can't really think of any games in the past 3-4 years I got stuck in for a significant amount of time, except Tony Tough, but that's probably older. From your list, all games except Dracula: Origin are games I'd consider long in the sense that you'll get 10+ hours out of them even if playing with a walkthrough.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:39 AM   #4
Stalker of Britain

For me, "The Lost Crown" and "Dreamfall" were the longest games; longest since "The Longest Journey" and "Black Mirror". "Lost Crow" and "Dreamfall" had a lot of depth, and even trying to "zoom" through it with a walkthrough, it took awhile. But I didn't zoom through it, I tried to do it on my own with some hints. Not to be finished in one day!
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-24-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
Caffein Queen

Well, Jack Keane has 13 chapters I think and is not a game you finish in 7-8 hours. At least not for me

Perry Rhodan took me quite a while too, but maybe that was because I looked/touched/talked with everything and everybody.
Same goes for Dreamfall.

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 07-26-2008, 11:08 AM   #6

Next Life was one of the longest in recent times.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:34 PM   #7

Culpa Innata
Old 07-26-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
Irritant F0rum Beasty

The first Phoenix Wright is really long for an adventure game, I'm sure it kept me going for a couple of months.

I don't recall Dreamfall being particularly long, I think I finished it in the space of about a week, although granted that was with pretty extensive play as I was on holiday that week.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 07-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #9
Sik

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesIAmNot View Post
it took me about 20-25 hours
Dracula Origin is a good example of a game where the difficulty of the puzzles is the determining factor in how long it takes to play through. I spent about 10 hours on it. It might easily have been 10 more if I hadn't used a walkthrough for one puzzle where I lacked the knowledge needed to complete it and would have resorted to trying a huge amount of different combinations (slightly less if I had read up on piano basics on the internet).

I'd say Dracula Origin would take about 5 hours to play through a second time, but I doubt many would manage to play through in less than 15-20 hours the first time around without hints.