You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Quit "buggin out" on Insecticide....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2008, 08:09 PM   #1

Default Quit "buggin out" on Insecticide....

Ok, I realize that was a terrible pun,

I just dl'ed this little gem from Steam, and I'm having a blast with it. The game shows a lot of heart, and for gods sake it comes from the writers that gave us Grim Fandango! Granted, the 70% avg review is pretty spot on, I still wouldn't miss this one.

The game bleeds noir, and has some really solid adventure bits, The game is broken up into sections, kind of half action/adventure, and half adventure/mystery. While the action sections are a tad fleeting and unfullfilling, the adventure parts are fun and the voice acting is great.

The $15 price tag seems a little steep, but you have to remember its a 2 part game, and this is the 1st half. It's one of those games that just shouldn't be missed, and I'm very interested to see what the second half of the story holds.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:05 PM   #2

I would definitely be willing to try this game but by not releasing a demo, they shot themselves in the leg as so many other developers do for some reason. I'd probably like it but I'll not blindly spend any money on a low rated game if I can't try it myself first.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
Banned User

I have to agree with Tastebud. Demos for me should exist for these types of games. Unlike Adventure games, you play demos to get a feel of the gameplay, the environment and the story.

Ill still buy it since its not really that expensive anyways. I would like to see a review done by the AG staff though before I buy it.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:33 PM   #4
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

A fair demo for Insecticide would have to showcase both types of gameplay. The problem is that including two complete chapters would reveal quite a big chunk of a single episode.

The so for mixed reactions in the reviews are definitely unsettling for potential buyers (personally I find those reviews surprising). If someone is not sure about buying it, I'd recommend waiting for coverage from adventure gaming websites. I heard The International House of Mojo is prepering a podcast about Insecticide that should be ready soon.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
I have to agree with Tastebud. Demos for me should exist for these types of games. Unlike Adventure games, you play demos to get a feel of the gameplay, the environment and the story.

Ill still buy it since its not really that expensive anyways. I would like to see a review done by the AG staff though before I buy it.
Sorry, unlike Portal, it's not a pure adventure game.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youfightlikeadairyfarmer View Post
Sorry, unlike Portal, it's not a pure adventure game.
You must consider Peggle Deluxe and Tetris adventure games too.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Insecticide isn't a pure adventure game though. There are chapters that are clearly pure adventure game material, but the platforming/shooting chapters definitely are not - it's not debatable like Portal.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 07-10-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post
You must consider Peggle Deluxe and Tetris adventure games too.
I was being sarcastic, I'd think even a half-adventure game is more of an adventure game than an FPS.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #9

FPS - First Person Shooter

Lots of shooting in Portal...
Old 07-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Let's not go down that road here. We already had this discussion, funnily enough in another Insecticide thread. So let's keep the discussion to Insecticide.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:19 PM   #11
Hopeful skeptic

We will be covering Insecticide in one form or another in the coming weeks. How and when still to be determined (mainly because my PC flamed out spectacularly this week before I could even check the game out. )
Old 07-12-2008, 09:14 AM   #12

Sorry farmer I didn't catch your sarcasm there However, all this talk of Insecticide really makes me wanna look further into it. Maybe I'll wait on the coverage here. Anyone else played it? Any impressions?
Old 07-12-2008, 07:23 PM   #13
Club a seal or two

I only played it for a couple hours...
Gameplay, for both adventure and platforming chapters, isn't revolting. I dig the art, the story and the acting. The lack of polish really ruins it though.
There's no widescreen support (which is really peculiar for a PC only title that's released in 2008 - way to alienate 30% of the market), no control customization, no lip syncing (really bothersome), and no way to save mid-chapter (which is really frustrating since it crashed on me a few times).

I wouldn't say it's completely worthless, but I'd definitely wait for a patch or a discount.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:13 AM   #14

I played it for about an hour but the terrible controls and the serious lack of polish killed it for me..
The cut scenes look great but as soon as you get into actual gameplay it looks and feels hideous, it's like a game I should have been playing 10 years ago.

I seriously couldn't recommend it to anyone.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftweed View Post
The cut scenes look great but as soon as you get into actual gameplay it looks and feels hideous, it's like a game I should have been playing 10 years ago.
This is what I feared with Insecticide. Pretty much all of the trailers since the game was first announced have been just FMVs, and little to no gameplay. I'm always skeptical of games where the trailers or box art feature nothing but FMVs or artwork.

Can anyone care to mention how many hours of gameplay there is on this game?
Old 07-13-2008, 02:00 PM   #16
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftweed View Post
I played it for about an hour but the terrible controls and the serious lack of polish killed it for me..

I seriously couldn't recommend it to anyone.
You mean it feels just like a DS game. haha

Well honestly, console devs think that PC are worse than consoles meaning that the PS3 is more capable than a PC........its the stupid little logic console developers have which I don't understand. That's why so many console games have received such crappy ports to the PC.

One of the reasons why I love adventure games. They have and always will feel like a computer game than a crappy degrading console game.

Especially when its been said that the PC game market is dying (even though they never calculated online distribution sales from Steam, EA, Blizzard WoW, etc)
Old 07-13-2008, 06:47 PM   #17
Third Guy from Andromeda

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
You mean it feels just like a DS game. haha

Well honestly, console devs think that PC are worse than consoles meaning that the PS3 is more capable than a PC........its the stupid little logic console developers have which I don't understand. That's why so many console games have received such crappy ports to the PC.
Crackpot is not primarily a console developer. Most of what Crackpot does is on the PC, and Insecticide DS is, as far as I know, their only console game.

--Josh
Old 07-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
This is what I feared with Insecticide. Pretty much all of the trailers since the game was first announced have been just FMVs, and little to no gameplay. I'm always skeptical of games where the trailers or box art feature nothing but FMVs or artwork.

Can anyone care to mention how many hours of gameplay there is on this game?

There is like a solid 5 hours of play if you take your time. I didn't really have any trouble with the adventure parts, I found myself playing the action parts a couple times once in a while.

After finishing it I'd have to say it really isn't quite worth $15, should be more like $10, but after part 2 you'll be getting a full(ish) decent adv game for $30, so it definently isn't a rip-off.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho View Post
Crackpot is not primarily a console developer. Most of what Crackpot does is on the PC, and Insecticide DS is, as far as I know, their only console game.

--Josh
Insecticide is Crackpot's first game period, so they're not anymore a PC developer than they are a console developer.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:59 PM   #20
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post
I would definitely be willing to try this game but by not releasing a demo, they shot themselves in the leg as so many other developers do for some reason. I'd probably like it but I'll not blindly spend any money on a low rated game if I can't try it myself first.
There's no official demo, but I've learned of a website where you can play Insecticide for an hour for free to try it. Here's a direct link: http://www.trygames.com/search_resul...rygames/page=1