You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure No sequel for Zack&Wiki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2008, 06:26 AM   #1

Default No sequel for Zack&Wiki

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/200...-is-fruitless/

Nooooooo!!!!

I'm devastated. This was one of the most refreshing games I've played in a long time, and I really had a taste for more when it was finished.

Any one of the not-lazy-as-me people here wanna start one of those hopeless petition thingies?
Old 06-25-2008, 07:14 PM   #2

That doesn't surprise me. Zack and Wiki is currently the only "great" game on the Wii. Naturally Wii owners ignored it in favor of playing a Halo clone, a game about sword wielding cookie, and Happy Feet.

And people wonder why Nintendo and their fans don't get any respect from the hardcore crowd.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
Psychonaut

Unfortunatly Wii hardware is selling like hotcakes, but software uptake is generally poor.

Where are traditional gamers buy 2-3 games a month for game machines the largely casual audience that bought the wii have played Wii-sports and Wii-fit and that's about it. They are not buying loads of other games. That's why there is a lot of those casual minigame packages out there.

Zack and Wiki was too novel and idea for that market to sell in any great numbers.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:30 AM   #4

Being an owner of a Wii I hope you two are wrong and more innovative games can sell. It's my hope that other developers will take their cue from Z&W's way of using the remote.

Oh, and other great games for me were Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda and Okami.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
Treasure Hunter

I haven't played it yet, but that's mostly because of the Zero Punctuation review I saw of it. Didn't sound like anything special. What's so great about it? ( <-- probably doesn't, but that's meant as an honest, non-hostile question. )

Playing: ...
Next up: Syberia 2, Full Throttle, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Old 06-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #6

The concept is pretty unique - as the adventure is divided to "levels" where each level is actually one complex puzzle where you need to get past the various traps of the level to get to the treasure chest.
(Maybe the closest style of game I can think of is the first gobliiins game)

The puzzles are interesting (in an adventure-y way - I don't mean "Professor Layton" style puzzles) and I felt a real sense of accomplishment when I finished each level.

There's also a pretty cool atmosphere of adventure, as you need to get past the traps, and it's usually a close-call, so you have many suspenful, "indiana-jones" style moments.

Many puzzles have many different solutions, and you get a better score for doing the smartest thing (this is another concept that has been abandoned lately in adventures, but it was pretty fun in early adventure games to try to get the maximal score by finding all the different solutions to the puzzles. it also adds to the replay value of the game).

Last but not least, many different movements of the wiimote are used (for example, when you need to saw something, you actually need to hold the wiimote like a saw and do a sawing motion). This sounds gimmicky (and it probably is) but it's also:

1. Pretty fun
2. Adds to the sense of immersion in the game as you feel like you're actively doing all the actions in the game and not just clickling on objects

(By the way, I almost didn't buy the game because of the mediocre review it got on this site, but I'm really glad I did buy it in the end)
Old 06-29-2008, 03:05 PM   #7
Treasure Hunter

Ah. I see. I shall have to try it after all.

Playing: ...
Next up: Syberia 2, Full Throttle, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Old 07-01-2008, 06:47 AM   #8

I kind of describe it as Gobliiins for the Wii. If you like that game, then this is worth checking out.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfrider View Post
That doesn't surprise me. Zack and Wiki is currently the only "great" game on the Wii. Naturally Wii owners ignored it in favor of playing a Halo clone, a game about sword wielding cookie, and Happy Feet.

And people wonder why Nintendo and their fans don't get any respect from the hardcore crowd.
What Halo clone on the Wii is that? And did Ninjabread Man really sell that well?
Also, are you saying that Wii gamers aren't respected by the hardcore gamers because they DIDN'T play a cartoony game about a pirate and a monkey? And does anyone really give a flying fuck if the nerds who play different games respect them?
Old 07-01-2008, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Zack and Wiki was too novel and idea for that market to sell in any great numbers.
Did Zack&Wiki really do so poorly?

According to wikipedia: "Despite its slow start, Zack and Wiki has sold over 300,000 copies worldwide so far."

But I really don't know if that's any good...
Old 07-18-2008, 11:24 AM   #11
Adventure Gamer for Life

That makes me sad. And it means that now I have to go through the game even more slowly than I have been, to make the fun last longer. I'm just savoring this game.