Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Finding replay value (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/22738-finding-replay-value.html)

Thom_ 06-19-2008 07:01 PM

Finding replay value

A question that just wandered into my mind whilst browsing these forums was: How do people find replay value in their adventure games? Obviously once you've finished a game you know all the answers to the puzzles - so is there really any need to replay each game?

Myself, I rarely ever replay games as it just isn't a challenge and it seems less like a game as such, and it feels more like clicking through an interactive story. Though saying that, I recently replayed through the original two Monkey Island games - mainly because I played them so long ago, as a child, that I couldn't remember a lot of the puzzles.

So, do any of you often replay games? And why? And how does the game bring you back to it? - Even though you know the answers to the puzzles.

Pavel4444 06-19-2008 07:10 PM

there is no need, I never replay adventure games. But some strange people like to replay same games, reread same books dozens of times.

How did you like Monkey Islands the second time around?

Thom_ 06-19-2008 07:14 PM

I liked them a lot more, replaying them brought a warm fuzzy feeling over me... since I last played them when I was around 8/9 :) So about 10 years ago.

I've only just recently became interested in adventure games again - mainly as I'm inbetween school and university with absolutely nothing to do :9 Just discovered the Discworld games - enjoying them a lot!

Melanie68 06-19-2008 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavel4444 (Post 472121)
there is no need, I never replay adventure games. But some strange people like to replay same games, reread same books dozens of times.

How did you like Monkey Islands the second time around?

I'm strange and damn proud of it. Thankyouverymuch. :)

skeeter_93 06-19-2008 08:05 PM

I replay adventure games....usually years afterwards when I've forgotten puzzle solutions, but sometimes sooner. It's like rereading a favourite book, or rewatching a favourite movie. People watch their favourite movies all the time. Well, I do anyway.

QFG 06-19-2008 09:41 PM

I also generally wait until I don't remember puzzle solutions until I replay a game. Some games I have replayed many, many, many times - even if I remember the puzzles, the sheer joy of playing the game inspires me to go through the motions, just to watch the beautiful flow of the game unfold before me. It's like meeting an old friend : )

Ascovel 06-20-2008 01:04 AM

I've replayed dozens of adventure games for dozens of reasons :) . When I was starting with games it was because for a very long time I only owned a handful of them and didn't have anything new to play instead. Later on, as my English got better and better, I replayed many because I wanted to finally understand the dialogues and what was going on in the story ;) . Of course, I also replayed some games just for their atmosphere and the pure pleasure of playing them. Finally, I replay some titles nowadays to write reviews for them, which I don't want to base solely on memories. At this point in life, however, I have too many different interests to allow myself to spend time this way only for the pleasure of reliving my favorite titles.

kuze 06-20-2008 01:28 AM

Rereading books is strange? I've read my favorite ones dozens of times. Replaying games however is usually much less satisfying, I've tried it with a few and almost never finished a game in the second run. The strong feeling of immersion that makes me pick up the game for the second time in the first place usually just isn't there any longer.

Kazmajik 06-20-2008 06:36 AM

I don't think playing a game more than once is any stranger than watching a movie more than once, or reading the same book again.

Granted, with most adventure games, it's all about exploration and once you solve the puzzles, much of the incentive to play is gone. That is, unless you have a powerful story behind the whole thing that you might enjoy reliving more than once. Some of the better games give you different paths you can explore, with different endings, such as King's Quest VI.

There aren't too many adventure games coming out these days that have compelling reasons to play them again, unfortunately.

QFG 06-20-2008 09:01 AM

Given the responses so far, I think it's safe to say that NOT reading/playing/listening/etc. to your favorite things is strange.

bleaksand 06-20-2008 09:41 AM

I have not yet replayed an adventure game … but I am excitedly looking forward to vicariously replaying some favourites through my Mum who only last week asked me how she could get a computer for games and internet stuff!

Apparently, all the other seniors at her Tai-Chi class are doing it … :D

(Of course she getting my old rig for free! I just need to find another monitor.)

misslilo 06-20-2008 09:51 AM

I've been trying for a year now to get my mother to play some AG's :)

But she's afraid because she's not that good at english and doesn't like to use the keyboard at all.
I've told her about pure point-and-click, but she still hesitates...

I would love to play one with her, just have to find the right one.
Has to be 3rd person, not too difficult with lots of english to understand and a story that will suck her in :D

To come back to the subject - only a year ago, I replayed most of my games and had a lot of fun doing it.
I actually found some real old classics I didn't think I had :D

Pavel4444 06-20-2008 10:14 AM

I never understand what is going on in the heads of those that reread a book several times.

Life is too short and there are way too many good books for me to reread them, besides my memory is pretty good.

And after things like Netflix I will almost never rewatch same movies for the same reasons.

Terramax 06-20-2008 05:25 PM

90% of the time, I enjoy adventures for their storytelling rather than puzzles. There are some games where I've simply used a walkthrough for many of the puzzles because I'm simply too impatient to go through them.

The second time round gives me the opportunity to relax and think about how to solve a riddle rather than embrace myself for what happens in the story next.

Also, I like exploring the locations in many adventure game. Just looking at the lively scenery gives me something to do if nothing else.

Experiencing a story again with a friend/ family is another reason. I can't wait for my best friend to return from a long trip so I can show him Sanitarium. He's going to love that game.

DustyShinigami 06-21-2008 03:46 AM

I replay my adventure games. Not all of them, but some. Some of them i've only done once but i'll gladly go through them again in the future. And yeah, i replay/re-read my favourite non-adventure games, books, music and movies. I could never bring myself to not play/read them again or get rid of them like a lot of people do. I would've thought, if anyone has a favourite something, like a ride at a theme park for example, you'll more than likely want to experience it again.

I seem to find certain adventure games more fun the second time through. Usually the first time i end up cheating through it, miss out dialogue or other information, my mind wanders off during certain parts of the story, or parts of the story are confusing or some puzzles don't make sense right away. Going through the second time, i end up solving the puzzles myself and things become more clearer.

Broken Sword 1-3 (esp. 1) are my most replayed adventure games. Followed by Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2 and in due time - Monkey Island and Gabriel Knight. With some games, i do try and leave them for a long time, hoping i forget the puzzle solutions, characters, stories etc. But with Broken Sword especially, i find it very difficult to leave it alone lol. Alundra, on the PSOne, is a game i've managed to leave for quite a long time. But i can't remember how many years ago i last played it. It certainly brings back memories and going through it a stage at a time is re-jogging my memory.

cwapitm 06-21-2008 09:48 AM

I often replay adventure games because it's a return to the stories and characters I love rather than for the puzzles themselves. It's like visiting old friends again. There are certain games I get never tired of playing so I play them a lot.

PloKoon 06-21-2008 11:46 AM

It all depends on whether or not the creator intended replay value. If an adventure is online, there is no need for replay value.

Pavel4444 06-21-2008 12:19 PM

I guess when I watch a movie, read a book or play a game I do it more carefully and slower and pretty much take it all in so I almost never have a need to do it over again. I am a pretty slow reader, and probably those who are fast readers miss a lot of stuff or just read through without thinking. And when I watch movies I like subtitles to be on and if I miss something I rewind right away.

Davies 06-22-2008 02:37 AM

Any book worth reading is worth re-reading. There's always something new to savour, like seeing how the author uses foreshadowing to set up events that will happen later in the story.

It may just be the Asperger's talking, but I'll choose re-reading an old favourite over starting a new book every time. It's always an effort to get into a new piece of fiction, and I have to be in the right mood to do it.

And games are much the same. A good game with a solid story is worth replaying. Again, if it's well written, the early parts will have a lot of foreshadowing and scene-setting that you can only appreciate once you know what's coming up.

Sanitarium (which I'm replaying now) is a good example. Yes, the first time around it was unsettling to wander through the asylum and talk to the inmates. Now that I can link their apparent babblings to later events, it's a deeper experience.

I've also wanted to write out my favourite game storylines in story form, so I can go back and enjoy them without having to play them through. Am doing this now with Sanitarium.

misslilo 06-22-2008 03:58 AM

When I was younger - ahem - I had this series of books called Angelique with 22 volumes.
And I think I've read the whole thing minimum 8 times.
The printing was very tiny and the pages were all yellow and aged, but I loved it. :)

I would put my feet up under me in the recliner and have a cup of coffee next to me and start reading - one after the other.
The story about this young girl growing up in France, when Ludvig the 14th was king, was told so vividly, that it sucked me in for days.

Of course with a game it's different.
But some just have this "Je n'est-ce pas" over them, that keeps you coming back - over and over.
For me it's games like Broken Sword, Syberia 1 and the new Perry Rhodan. :)

Kazmajik 06-22-2008 07:32 AM

There's also something to be said for re-reading a good book or replaying a good game: You already know it's going to be good!

When playing a game for the first time, you don't know that.

buddi 06-22-2008 08:47 AM

I re-read books over and over again, even mysteries, but I've tried to replay my favourite games and I just can't, it just feels like so much walking and clicking. It's like constant deja vu, even if I think I have forgotten a lot, it comes back to me just before it happens.

Pavel4444 06-22-2008 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misslilo (Post 472401)
When I was younger - ahem - I had this series of books called Angelique with 22 volumes.
And I think I've read the whole thing minimum 8 times.
The printing was very tiny and the pages were all yellow and aged, but I loved it. :)

If I were you I would go see a doctor. I can understand re-reading a book you read as a kid 15 or more years ago, but rereading same stuff multiple times is not normal, it sounds like some kind of closemindedness or fear of reading something new, fear of not liking a new book, or something. I love trying new books, and yes many end up not to my liking and I stop reading them. I do plan to reread 3 of my favorite books (Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords) when the entire Song of Ice and Fire series is finished because there are so many details and characters in them, but that is definitely the last time I start reading a series that isn't finished.

kuze 06-22-2008 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavel4444 (Post 472442)
If I were you I would go see a doctor.

If I were you I'd tone it down. There clearly are a lot of folks who like rereading books, and you are obviously in the minority. So let us enjoy our favorite books without you implying anything about our mental health.

mszv 06-22-2008 01:33 PM

I can't see how it's bad to reread a book, however many times you want to do it! I don't see how rereading a book (no matter how many times) means you don't read new books. And you reread, rather than read new, mostly, who cares?

I don't reread books a lot, though of course I have reread some books. There are several I want to reread - just have to find them! I have rewatched some favorites movies and TV shows. some a bunch of times. You really do see something new each time you reexperience something, if that makes sense. And of course, you are different, each time you rewatch/replay something, so it makes for a slightly different experience. Memory also contributes to the experience. When you rewatch/reread/replay something, you pay attention to the work, and you also remember your experiences and your reaction from the other times you experienced the work.

I don't tend to replay adventure games, since I'm such a slow and intermittent gamer. I have replayed Myst and Syberia and enjoyed the experience. As others have said, when you replay, you tend to focus on different things - for me it's environment and story.

skeeter_93 06-22-2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavel4444 (Post 472442)
If I were you I would go see a doctor. I can understand re-reading a book you read as a kid 15 or more years ago, but rereading same stuff multiple times is not normal, it sounds like some kind of closemindedness or fear of reading something new, fear of not liking a new book, or something.

I really don't appreciate this remark, even if it wasn't directed at me.

ozzie 06-22-2008 05:16 PM

Yep, a very arrogant remark.....

Whatever, there aren't many adventure games I replay. Just shortly I replayed through many of the LucasArts games, but mostly for a reason, either in a different language, with speech or because I didn't get through them the whole way the first time around.
The only adventure game I replay a lot is Indiana Jones 4, and this may be because there are so many ways to solve a problem, there's so much to see and explore.
A game I also loved to replay was Outcast, because you could miss many quests the first time around.
But apart from those.....can't think of any games I replayed.
Well, there are those games, which I start over and over again.....and never finish!
Fallout 2, I invested three tries in it.
Gene Machine, the same amount.

I started Gene Machine again just a week ago, so I may continue it. I just got thrown back so much because I forgot to save and accidently quit...

And Fallout 2......well, it's just long.

Jelena 06-23-2008 01:58 AM

I re-read books and also re-play games. Lately I've been re-playing the Myst games just to go back to those wonderful environments and enjoy the games without having to get stuck in puzzles. Well, in Riven I had to check hints again for a couple of puzzles I had totally forgotten.

There's definitely a value in going back to a book or a game I once enjoyed. Atmospheres and events that I want to experience again. Probably somewhat different but that only adds to the overall experience.

Perhaps you'll know what we're talking about once you've re-read those three favourite books of yours Pavel. If not, you'll just have to accept that not everyone work and think like you do.

Thesaya 06-23-2008 02:07 AM

Ialmost never reread books. I DO however replay games.

KasiaD 06-23-2008 05:30 AM

If the experience is pleasant the first time, it will be pleasant for the second.

It does not refer to adventure games only;)

There are exceptions to this rule: when the graphics is too crude, stuff like that.

Pavel4444 06-23-2008 06:55 AM

here is a nice article reread till you get it :devil:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/books/20...s_a_crime.html

Dale Baldwin 06-23-2008 06:58 AM

Then read the comments that it provoked. The same inflammatory reaction you're getting here.

I can't say I appreciated your earlier post calling people who re-read books closeminded etc, and I'd rather you didn't imply such again.

Pavel4444 06-23-2008 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin (Post 472552)
Then read the comments that it provoked. The same inflammatory reaction you're getting here.

I can't say I appreciated your earlier post calling people who re-read books closeminded etc, and I'd rather you didn't imply such again.

what should I call people that re-read same books over and over again?

Melanie68 06-23-2008 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavel4444 (Post 472554)

Maybe you can do the smart thing and say nothing. :shifty:

Matan 06-23-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavel4444 (Post 472554)

What about relistening to a song you like, visiting a city you like although you've already taken a tour there, or taking a walk through the same park you walked through the week before?

I really don't get how it's any different.

misslilo 06-23-2008 09:06 AM

Aaaaaaanyway :D
The world and people in the books I mentioned is just so big and detailed, that it's impossible to take it all in first time around.
Also the first time I was more interested in finding out what happens to this girl, than to really notice the wonderful writing. :)
And shall we leave it at that?

I guess that's also one of the reasons, why I replay games.
First time around it's to see what happens - next to more enjoy all the graphics/dialogs etc.

Although, with Perry Rhodan I took my time to really explore it all.
Usually I go through a game in one go - with this one it stretched over 4 days :)

Pavel4444 06-23-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matan (Post 472561)
What about relistening to a song you like, visiting a city you like although you've already taken a tour there, or taking a walk through the same park you walked through the week before?

I really don't get how it's any different.

completely different IMO.

1. Re-reading a book could take over a month. Re-listening song takes about 5 minutes. Also you can listen to a song while doing something else, like surfing the web.

2. people read books for different reason than listening to a song. People listen to songs for music, but they read books for information/plot/story. I can listen to same song many times without getting too sick of it if I like it, but why would I read same story/plot many times? I often stop reading new books when I see that the plot is just too cliche.

3. a city is always changing and has new things and is usually too large to be completely explored at 1 time.

Pavel4444 06-23-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68 (Post 472555)
Maybe you can do the smart thing and say nothing. :shifty:

maybe I want to express my opinion. I am not a psych major, but I am guessing that it is not really normal to be so attached to a book that you feel compulsed to re-read it many times. I would definitely like to know what psychiatrists/psychologists think about this. And I don't care if majority have it, it still doesn't mean it is normal, just like majority believing in god doesn't make god real. Majority can be and often is wrong.

Matan 06-23-2008 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavel4444 (Post 472573)
completely different IMO.

1. Re-reading a book could take over a month. Re-listening song takes about 5 minutes. Also you can listen to a song while doing something else, like surfing the web.

For me, re-reading a book usually takes 2-3 nights (as I only read books at night, before going to sleep). re-playing an adveture game takes even less than that.

Quote:

2. people read books for different reason than listening to a song. People listen to songs for music, but they read books for information/plot/story. I can listen to same song many times without getting too sick of it if I like it, but why would I read same story/plot many times? I often stop reading new books when I see that the plot is just too cliche.
I guess this is probably the difference between you and the people (like me) who like to reread books (or rewatch movies / replay adventure games).

When I read a book, I do not regard it as just a stream of information. I like the atmosphere it gives me, and the sound of the words in my head. It's actually a pretty similar feeling to listening to music.
I can really like a book even if it has a very bad plot or no plot at all.

Quote:

3. a city is always changing and has new things and is usually too large to be completely explored at 1 time.
I think that's definitely the case with most books/movies and some of the good adventure games. It's too large to be able to get every nuance, or to appreciate everything on the first go. For example, when I first saw Requiem for a Dream I was too shocked to be able to notice just how beautiful it looks.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can finish Quest for Glory 4 for the first time without even meeting all of the game's characters.

Squinky 06-23-2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavel4444 (Post 472574)
maybe I want to express my opinion. I am not a psych major, but I am guessing that it is not really normal to be so attached to a book that you feel compulsed to re-read it many times. I would definitely like to know what psychiatrists/psychologists think about this.

Freud says it stems from one's attachment to books in early childhood. A secure attachment indicates a healthy relationship with books, and leads to an adult rereading books once every few years. An anxious-ambivalent attachment leads to compulsive rereading, and an anxious-avoidant attachment leads to a complete refusal to reread at all. A disoriented attachment leads to eating the pages out of books.

Or something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavel4444 (Post 472574)
And I don't care if majority have it, it still doesn't mean it is normal, just like majority believing in god doesn't make god real. Majority can be and often is wrong.

*gasp* Oh no you didn't!