Finding replay value - Page 3 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Finding replay value


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #41
Member
 
Thom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Plymouth, England
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
Experiencing a story again with a friend/ family is another reason. I can't wait for my best friend to return from a long trip so I can show him Sanitarium. He's going to love that game.
That's a great answer, it reminded me that some of my first experiences with adventure games were playing DOTT with a good friend (on his oooold Windows 95 PC) and laughing like mad at it. Aah, those were the days!

Pavel4444, if you're going to input something into this thread ATLEAST take into consideration that people have their own opinions which differ to your's. Your opinion is not right, and neither is anyone else's, they are just merely opinions. Thus you have no right whatsoever to insult people. Cheers.
Thom_ is offline  
Old 06-23-2008, 01:01 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Kazmajik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 418
Default

Didn't Freud also say that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar?

I've read one of my favorite books, Watership Down, about 5 times since I first discovered it 20 years ago. Why? Because I like it, and I think it merits more than one read. Each time I've read it I picked up on nuances I missed the previous time.

Similarly, I've played all the Gabriel Knight games several times, as much as 5 or 6 times. Why? Because each time I've played them I discovered something new, tried different things, and just plain enjoy the story and how it unfolds.

There are few books and few games that I've enjoyed so much I had to read them or play them more than once. Usually, once is enough, and then I'm ready for something new. But once in a great while, a book or movie or game will come along that really transcends everything else around. Isn't that what we're all hoping for? I say there's nothing wrong with that at all, and it's perfectly normal.

What a weird thread this has become.
Kazmajik is offline  
Old 06-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #43
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!
 
Ascovel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Poland
Posts: 1,053
Default

Right and normal aren't synonyms.

Freud says everything stems from sex obsessions. There are no truly sane people to him.

If someone has the time and passion to go back to their favorite things, I'd say that's an indicator of a happy person. Nothing more and nothing less.
Ascovel is offline  
Old 06-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #44
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 62
Default

So the small % of finding something new that you somehow missed the first time you read a book or played a game justifies redoing the whole thing? I don't think so.

When I play my room is locked and I concentrate and don't get distracted so I don't think I ever need to replay an adventure game that has 1 ending and is linear.
Pavel4444 is offline  
Old 06-23-2008, 03:39 PM   #45
QFG
Senior Member
 
QFG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Damascus, MD
Posts: 515
Default

It sounds like you're actually experiencing the opposite of your argument; since you find so little to enjoy the second time around, you may not be fully comprehending or appreciating everything the first time.

I also suspect perhaps you're not emotionally connecting with these games/books/etc... and thus any concept like "nostalgia" has no value for you.
QFG is offline  
Old 06-23-2008, 04:24 PM   #46
Member
 
Thom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Plymouth, England
Posts: 30
Default

Psychology...
Thom_ is offline  
Old 06-23-2008, 05:33 PM   #47
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 62
Default

if I get too nostalgic I can always watch videos on youtube or play an old school game I haven't played yet. And besides I got over 50 games installed on my computer at the moment so I got plenty of things to play.

Quote:
It sounds like you're actually experiencing the opposite of your argument; since you find so little to enjoy the second time around, you may not be fully comprehending or appreciating everything the first time.
that doesn't make sense. I comprehended everything explored everything, finished it and uninstalled it. And no real reason to go back and play it again no matter how much I loved it.
Pavel4444 is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 12:10 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
KasiaD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Warsaw
Posts: 178
Default

"When I play my room is locked and I concentrate and don't get distracted so I don't think I ever need to replay an adventure game that has 1 ending and is linear. "

Sounds like compulsive non-replaying games at any price.
KasiaD is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 02:27 AM   #49
Backsliding Pagan
 
Merricat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New York state of mind
Posts: 528
Default

This would be laughable if it weren't so sad. Gamers, take a moment to pity poor Pavel.

Awwwww.
Merricat is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 04:20 AM   #50
Freeware Co-ordinator
 
stepurhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: South East England.
Posts: 7,309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel4444 View Post
maybe I want to express my opinion. I am not a psych major, but I am guessing that it is not really normal to be so attached to a book that you feel compulsed to re-read it many times.
Expressing your opinion is fine. Insulting other members is not. You admit to not having formal psychological training and therefore you are not in a position to make judgements on mental health. You have been asked not to do this already. Continuing to follow this line may result in more than a warning next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel4444 View Post
I comprehended everything explored everything, finished it and uninstalled it. And no real reason to go back and play it again no matter how much I loved it.
Actually, without replaying a game, there is no way you can know that you have comprehended and explored everything. You would have to replay a game at least once without finding anything new to be able to justify this statement, and even then it might only be because you took exactly the same actions second time around. With many games it will be impossible to see everything first time because taking certain actions and dialogues will close off other possibilities.

Whether a lot of games have sufficient variation to make an immediate replay worthwhile is another matter.
__________________
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
stepurhan is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 05:01 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 110
Default

I don't replay adventure games either.
darthmaul is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 06:17 AM   #52
Backsliding Pagan
 
Merricat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New York state of mind
Posts: 528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthmaul View Post
I don't replay adventure games either.
Well, you know, no one is really objecting to that; the objection is to the ridiculously acrimonious judgements passed on those who do replay, reread, etc.

In order for people to care about someone's opinion, that person must be deserving of respect, and no one respects an attack dog who shows no respect to others.
Merricat is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 07:34 AM   #53
It's Hard To Be Humble
 
Lee in Limbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,557
Default

I usually put a game away for a few years, and when I'm pretty sure I've forgotten most of it, I'll reinstall it and see if it lives up to my memory of it. I only do this with games that really affected me though. I've replayed games like Myst, Last Express, Shivers, Buried in Time, Black Dahlia, the Smoking Mirror and Temujiin. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, and there are some newer games I intend on replaying in the next few months, like TLJ, Still Life and Syberia... I've almost forgotten how they went. I rather enjoy revisiting old places, and it's actually fun for me to start remembering things I'd forgotten. The challenge becomes trying to remember things in the correct order, or finding I've misremembered things and having to fix my mistakes.

I don't do it often, but I also reread certain books that had a lot of information in them. I find that I take new things away with every rereading. I'm not the same person I was last time I read a given book, and my insights are different. It's almost like reading a new book, only better, because I get to think about how much I've changed and how differently I see the same story. It's almost a game in itself. Plus, some books are just so good, rereading them is never boring.
__________________
Lee Edward McImoyle,
Author
Smashwords eBooks
Lee in Limbo is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 07:36 AM   #54
Member
 
Thom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Plymouth, England
Posts: 30
Default

Thanks for all the replies to the thread by the way. There's been some really interesting answers.
Thom_ is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 08:13 PM   #55
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 62
Default

First of all I didn't intend to insult anyone. When I say I would go see a doctor, I meant it as an advice to see what the doctor says/suggests. Nothing wrong with making sure, it is in your best interest to change your approach to books/games/etc. so that 1 or at most 2 times are enough, it is in your best interest to save your time for other exciting things, because life is too short to be deja vuing same things all over. I think rereading same books multiple times is a disorder, certainly not harmful to anyone but you, bt also not sothing to be proud about and announce that you reread something 10 times as if it is some accomplishment. Keep it to yourself and don't try to influence young ones to follow the same route.

Quote:
Actually, without replaying a game, there is no way you can know that you have comprehended and explored everything. You would have to replay a game at least once without finding anything new to be able to justify this statement, and even then it might only be because you took exactly the same actions second time around. With many games it will be impossible to see everything first time because taking certain actions and dialogues will close off other possibilities.
There is a way--look at the walkthroughs. When a game has multiple paths it will mention it.W

Last edited by Pavel4444; 06-24-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Pavel4444 is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 08:17 PM   #56
Super Moderator
 
Melanie68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel4444 View Post
First of all I didn't insult anyone. When I say I would go see a doctor, I meant it as an advice to see what the doctor says/suggests. Nothing wrong with making sure, it is in your best interest to change your approach to books/games/etc. so that 1 or at most 2 times are enough, it is in your best interest to save your time for other exciting things, because life is too short to be deja vuing same things all over.
*sigh* I could honestly care less if you choose to never replay anything. Why do care so much about why we do?

Quite frankly, life is too short for this silly argument, so let it go.
Melanie68 is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 08:27 PM   #57
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
*sigh* I could honestly care less if you choose to never replay anything. Why do care so much about why we do?

Quite frankly, life is too short for this silly argument, so let it go.
Because I care about world and other people and because that time could be invested in other books and games helping raise economy and hopefully quality of the books and games.
Pavel4444 is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 10:39 PM   #58
Unreliable Narrator
 
Squinky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Le Canada
Posts: 9,873
Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky
Default

Today, I asked my doctor about my rereading problem, and she looked at me funny and laughed. I don't get it. Should I have seen a specialist or something? HELP!
__________________
Squinky is always right, but only for certain values of "always" and "right".
Squinky is offline  
Old 06-25-2008, 12:31 AM   #59
Sik
Senior Member
 
Sik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 196
Default

I re-play games, re-read books, re-watch movies, and listen to songs I've heard tens, or hundreds of times before. Sometimes I know exactly what I want to experience, and that's only really possible if it is something you have done before. Life is not a race. Noone is going to count how many unique thigns I managed to experience before I die, so I see nothing wrong in spending time doing things I know I will enjoy, over again. Life is too short to let others tell you how best to spend your time.

Anyway, there are three reasons I can think of that lead to me replaying adventure games:

1. A feeling of having missed out on something while playing. This can be due to a branching storyline, a complex story that didn't sink in completely, or a twist at the end that I feel I missed out on the setup for. I'll usually play the game again while it's still fresh in memory if this is the case. Knowing exactly what I need to do next, means I can try everything else first and not miss out on anything.

2. A great story. The most common reason I'll replay a game. This is exactly like watching a movie, or reading a book again for me. Discovering something I haven't done before, or nuances to the story would be a bonus, but mostly I'm just after a familiar and pleasant experience with enough interactivity that I feel like I'm actually doing something. There's no pattern to when I'll play something again for the story. It's "whenever I feel like it", but there would normally be long enough between playthroughs that I'll have to stop and think about what to do next, even if the solutions are lodged in my memory somewhere.

3. Nostalgia. Sometimes I recall a game I enjoyed immensely in the past. Playing them again usually won't recreate the experience, but I'll remember why I enjoyed them so much. Triggering good memories, can't be a bad thing? I often play a game for nostalgic reasons after I get disappointed with a new game, and get reminded of something I played a long, long time ago that, according to my memory, did the same thing better. ;p
Sik is offline  
Old 06-25-2008, 01:29 AM   #60
Not like them!
 
MoriartyL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Israel
Posts: 2,570
Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL
Default

I've observed that games aren't worth replaying unless they evoke strong emotions from moment to moment. The second time through, getting from point A to point B is no longer any motivator at all. But if I'm really enjoying where I am at the moment, I'm going to want to keep going. Gameplay gets old and stale, but a good emotion will always be worth going back to.
MoriartyL is offline  
 



Thread Tools

 


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.