Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Finding replay value (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/22738-finding-replay-value.html)

Kazmajik 06-22-2008 07:32 AM

There's also something to be said for re-reading a good book or replaying a good game: You already know it's going to be good!

When playing a game for the first time, you don't know that.

buddi 06-22-2008 08:47 AM

I re-read books over and over again, even mysteries, but I've tried to replay my favourite games and I just can't, it just feels like so much walking and clicking. It's like constant deja vu, even if I think I have forgotten a lot, it comes back to me just before it happens.

Pavel4444 06-22-2008 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misslilo (Post 472401)
When I was younger - ahem - I had this series of books called Angelique with 22 volumes.
And I think I've read the whole thing minimum 8 times.
The printing was very tiny and the pages were all yellow and aged, but I loved it. :)

If I were you I would go see a doctor. I can understand re-reading a book you read as a kid 15 or more years ago, but rereading same stuff multiple times is not normal, it sounds like some kind of closemindedness or fear of reading something new, fear of not liking a new book, or something. I love trying new books, and yes many end up not to my liking and I stop reading them. I do plan to reread 3 of my favorite books (Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords) when the entire Song of Ice and Fire series is finished because there are so many details and characters in them, but that is definitely the last time I start reading a series that isn't finished.

kuze 06-22-2008 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavel4444 (Post 472442)
If I were you I would go see a doctor.

If I were you I'd tone it down. There clearly are a lot of folks who like rereading books, and you are obviously in the minority. So let us enjoy our favorite books without you implying anything about our mental health.

mszv 06-22-2008 01:33 PM

I can't see how it's bad to reread a book, however many times you want to do it! I don't see how rereading a book (no matter how many times) means you don't read new books. And you reread, rather than read new, mostly, who cares?

I don't reread books a lot, though of course I have reread some books. There are several I want to reread - just have to find them! I have rewatched some favorites movies and TV shows. some a bunch of times. You really do see something new each time you reexperience something, if that makes sense. And of course, you are different, each time you rewatch/replay something, so it makes for a slightly different experience. Memory also contributes to the experience. When you rewatch/reread/replay something, you pay attention to the work, and you also remember your experiences and your reaction from the other times you experienced the work.

I don't tend to replay adventure games, since I'm such a slow and intermittent gamer. I have replayed Myst and Syberia and enjoyed the experience. As others have said, when you replay, you tend to focus on different things - for me it's environment and story.

skeeter_93 06-22-2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavel4444 (Post 472442)
If I were you I would go see a doctor. I can understand re-reading a book you read as a kid 15 or more years ago, but rereading same stuff multiple times is not normal, it sounds like some kind of closemindedness or fear of reading something new, fear of not liking a new book, or something.

I really don't appreciate this remark, even if it wasn't directed at me.

ozzie 06-22-2008 05:16 PM

Yep, a very arrogant remark.....

Whatever, there aren't many adventure games I replay. Just shortly I replayed through many of the LucasArts games, but mostly for a reason, either in a different language, with speech or because I didn't get through them the whole way the first time around.
The only adventure game I replay a lot is Indiana Jones 4, and this may be because there are so many ways to solve a problem, there's so much to see and explore.
A game I also loved to replay was Outcast, because you could miss many quests the first time around.
But apart from those.....can't think of any games I replayed.
Well, there are those games, which I start over and over again.....and never finish!
Fallout 2, I invested three tries in it.
Gene Machine, the same amount.

I started Gene Machine again just a week ago, so I may continue it. I just got thrown back so much because I forgot to save and accidently quit...

And Fallout 2......well, it's just long.

Jelena 06-23-2008 01:58 AM

I re-read books and also re-play games. Lately I've been re-playing the Myst games just to go back to those wonderful environments and enjoy the games without having to get stuck in puzzles. Well, in Riven I had to check hints again for a couple of puzzles I had totally forgotten.

There's definitely a value in going back to a book or a game I once enjoyed. Atmospheres and events that I want to experience again. Probably somewhat different but that only adds to the overall experience.

Perhaps you'll know what we're talking about once you've re-read those three favourite books of yours Pavel. If not, you'll just have to accept that not everyone work and think like you do.

Thesaya 06-23-2008 02:07 AM

Ialmost never reread books. I DO however replay games.

KasiaD 06-23-2008 05:30 AM

If the experience is pleasant the first time, it will be pleasant for the second.

It does not refer to adventure games only;)

There are exceptions to this rule: when the graphics is too crude, stuff like that.

Pavel4444 06-23-2008 06:55 AM

here is a nice article reread till you get it :devil:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/books/20...s_a_crime.html

Dale Baldwin 06-23-2008 06:58 AM

Then read the comments that it provoked. The same inflammatory reaction you're getting here.

I can't say I appreciated your earlier post calling people who re-read books closeminded etc, and I'd rather you didn't imply such again.

Pavel4444 06-23-2008 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin (Post 472552)
Then read the comments that it provoked. The same inflammatory reaction you're getting here.

I can't say I appreciated your earlier post calling people who re-read books closeminded etc, and I'd rather you didn't imply such again.

what should I call people that re-read same books over and over again?

Melanie68 06-23-2008 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavel4444 (Post 472554)

Maybe you can do the smart thing and say nothing. :shifty:

Matan 06-23-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavel4444 (Post 472554)

What about relistening to a song you like, visiting a city you like although you've already taken a tour there, or taking a walk through the same park you walked through the week before?

I really don't get how it's any different.

misslilo 06-23-2008 09:06 AM

Aaaaaaanyway :D
The world and people in the books I mentioned is just so big and detailed, that it's impossible to take it all in first time around.
Also the first time I was more interested in finding out what happens to this girl, than to really notice the wonderful writing. :)
And shall we leave it at that?

I guess that's also one of the reasons, why I replay games.
First time around it's to see what happens - next to more enjoy all the graphics/dialogs etc.

Although, with Perry Rhodan I took my time to really explore it all.
Usually I go through a game in one go - with this one it stretched over 4 days :)

Pavel4444 06-23-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matan (Post 472561)
What about relistening to a song you like, visiting a city you like although you've already taken a tour there, or taking a walk through the same park you walked through the week before?

I really don't get how it's any different.

completely different IMO.

1. Re-reading a book could take over a month. Re-listening song takes about 5 minutes. Also you can listen to a song while doing something else, like surfing the web.

2. people read books for different reason than listening to a song. People listen to songs for music, but they read books for information/plot/story. I can listen to same song many times without getting too sick of it if I like it, but why would I read same story/plot many times? I often stop reading new books when I see that the plot is just too cliche.

3. a city is always changing and has new things and is usually too large to be completely explored at 1 time.

Pavel4444 06-23-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68 (Post 472555)
Maybe you can do the smart thing and say nothing. :shifty:

maybe I want to express my opinion. I am not a psych major, but I am guessing that it is not really normal to be so attached to a book that you feel compulsed to re-read it many times. I would definitely like to know what psychiatrists/psychologists think about this. And I don't care if majority have it, it still doesn't mean it is normal, just like majority believing in god doesn't make god real. Majority can be and often is wrong.

Matan 06-23-2008 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavel4444 (Post 472573)
completely different IMO.

1. Re-reading a book could take over a month. Re-listening song takes about 5 minutes. Also you can listen to a song while doing something else, like surfing the web.

For me, re-reading a book usually takes 2-3 nights (as I only read books at night, before going to sleep). re-playing an adveture game takes even less than that.

Quote:

2. people read books for different reason than listening to a song. People listen to songs for music, but they read books for information/plot/story. I can listen to same song many times without getting too sick of it if I like it, but why would I read same story/plot many times? I often stop reading new books when I see that the plot is just too cliche.
I guess this is probably the difference between you and the people (like me) who like to reread books (or rewatch movies / replay adventure games).

When I read a book, I do not regard it as just a stream of information. I like the atmosphere it gives me, and the sound of the words in my head. It's actually a pretty similar feeling to listening to music.
I can really like a book even if it has a very bad plot or no plot at all.

Quote:

3. a city is always changing and has new things and is usually too large to be completely explored at 1 time.
I think that's definitely the case with most books/movies and some of the good adventure games. It's too large to be able to get every nuance, or to appreciate everything on the first go. For example, when I first saw Requiem for a Dream I was too shocked to be able to notice just how beautiful it looks.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can finish Quest for Glory 4 for the first time without even meeting all of the game's characters.

Squinky 06-23-2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavel4444 (Post 472574)
maybe I want to express my opinion. I am not a psych major, but I am guessing that it is not really normal to be so attached to a book that you feel compulsed to re-read it many times. I would definitely like to know what psychiatrists/psychologists think about this.

Freud says it stems from one's attachment to books in early childhood. A secure attachment indicates a healthy relationship with books, and leads to an adult rereading books once every few years. An anxious-ambivalent attachment leads to compulsive rereading, and an anxious-avoidant attachment leads to a complete refusal to reread at all. A disoriented attachment leads to eating the pages out of books.

Or something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavel4444 (Post 472574)
And I don't care if majority have it, it still doesn't mean it is normal, just like majority believing in god doesn't make god real. Majority can be and often is wrong.

*gasp* Oh no you didn't!