You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure (spoilers) Lost Crown ending and story discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008, 12:22 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Sandman
Default (spoilers) Lost Crown ending and story discussion

Finally laid the game to the rest tonight. And I feel depressed for ending it, although I have several others to play. But the Lost Crown goes into my all time favorites.

I went through the screenshots on this site and found some of the things never happened with me.

This wheelchair part did not take place:

Luci and Danvers did not go through the books together

Did not get an option to see things from the memorial

This did not happen

Vicar did not meet me outside the Church entrance

Did not come across this as well. Plus the gadgets I had look different, especially the EMF meter.

Just a question. I lost the story in the middle (perhaps because I started playing it after sometime). What was the connection between Agers and the Ganwulf's crown? Seems like Ganwulf was already burried there, than what did Agars hid in Saxton? I am confused!!!

Last edited by Sandman; 06-16-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Sandman, I moved your post to a new thread. It had some spoilers (some of the screens could be considered spoilers). It's just easier to have it in a general spoiler thread so people don't have to worry.

Also that last screen of yours was an early screenshot, I believe. I never saw that one in game. It was probably from a early build of the game.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
nothing ventured...

I well know your feeling of depression upon ending The Lost Crown!

My son and I went around quoting the game for days afterward.

"Nothing ventured."
"Symbolic images? Ancient Graffiti?"

I don't know what Jonathan Boakes put into that game but whatever it was it was an addictive substance.

Now the question is...what did it all mean? Was Nigey alive...dead...a computer simulation created by Haddon? Did Haddon create a clone of the original Nigel Danvers, and did the clone discover the truth?
Old 06-16-2008, 05:20 PM   #4

I also finished the game just the other day, and was left more than puzzled by the ending.
Was everyone in Saxton a ghost inhabiting the same spatial location but "caught out" of different times?
What was the deal with some scenes appearing as old photographs, with torn edges that Nigel walks behind?
How does the sea monster (as depicted in ancient graffiti) fit into anything?
What year is it?
Is it 9 o'clock or noon?
These are off the top of my head, but I'll post some more later when they occur to me.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmajik View Post
I also finished the game just the other day, and was left more than puzzled by the ending.
Was everyone in Saxton a ghost inhabiting the same spatial location but "caught out" of different times?
What was the deal with some scenes appearing as old photographs, with torn edges that Nigel walks behind?
How does the sea monster (as depicted in ancient graffiti) fit into anything?
What year is it?
Is it 9 o'clock or noon?
These are off the top of my head, but I'll post some more later when they occur to me.
I believe there is a sequel in the making. Otherwise the game should be considered incomplete.

I don't think people we came across were dead. Their gathering at the Ganwulf's tomb symbolizes the town's connection with the Crown. See how everyone reacted when Nigel Danvers took the crown and lost it again?

The whole town's prosperity was dependent on the treasure. People come for the treasure and town gets its tourism - its May Day ceremony. Once it was out the town's people not only lost their May Day but they also suffered Ganwulf's curse (which could be life time supply of depression and no reason to live). --- At least this is my theory.

But what treasure were Agers hiding. They knew the location thats for sure. But their journals say they hid their treasure there. What was their treasure when Ganwulf was already burried there for over 1000 years? And why would Agers protect it when they themselves were evil? One of the Agers appeared in the room with the dead cats, what about him?
Old 06-17-2008, 06:04 AM   #6

and why did Nigel appear in that picture of the Agers?
The part about using hair and oil to paint that picture of the crows and the tree didn't come to anything, did it?
Was Hardacre sometimes a ghost and sometimes not? On the first night, when we meet him at the end of that pier and have that discussion where he tells Nigel basically to piss off, he walks away and fades out. It wasn't the fog overtaking him, he became invisible.
Any significance to the dragonflies?
Was the ghost of the little girl in the museum connected to anything?
Old 06-17-2008, 06:39 AM   #7

Quote:
The part about using hair and oil to paint that picture of the crows and the tree didn't come to anything, did it?
Was Hardacre sometimes a ghost and sometimes not? On the first night, when we meet him at the end of that pier and have that discussion where he tells Nigel basically to piss off, he walks away and fades out. It wasn't the fog overtaking him, he became invisible.
Was the ghost of the little girl in the museum connected to anything?
Good points raised. Guess they developed story along with the game and not before the game. May be a scene to scene conception - thats why the story broke up.

Hardacre's ghost is a huge question. I even forgot who Hardacre was/is when the ghost appeared? Was there any mention of him before he appeared?

About the ghost of the little girl. She was the scariest but turned out to be the most friendly of all the ghosts. And the poor girl did not even get released like others did.

When Nigel appeared in the Agers picture I started to assume that this game tis heading to the same ending as Black Mirror - main playable character himself turns out to be the killer and I was willing to bet 100 bucks on Nigel killing Hardacre.

Gruel may have killed the cats but Hardacre's killer was not Gruel as far as I think. Plus no proof of Gruel being the psycho behind cat killings.

There are lots of questions to be answered and the game must have a sequel. Jonathan must make a second part at any cost
Old 06-17-2008, 06:44 AM   #8

Quote:
It may symbolize that Nigel is no less evil than Agers. He is willing to find the crown at the expense of the town (with least regard to people's warnings).

Quote:
We got a symbol from it. Thats all I know of.

Quote:
Nops ... none. And thank God for that or else we would have even more questions.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #9
Stalker of Britain

Hey guys. I really loved "The Lost Crown", too, and I thought I'd try to answer some of the questions you had. If I may give two links, other fans have discussed the ending and questions about the game; http://fourfatchicks.com/forums/inde...ic=88357&st=40 (I'm sorry for the long link, but I put it to the page where they start discussing their theories for your convienience) and Gameboomers had really good ideas at http://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubb...565#Post301565. I hope you read those and get your own understanding. I'm sorry if posting is against the rules.

I believe the scenes look like old photographs because Mr. Hadden made the town of "Saxton" by putting together old photographs, with the original rips and tears, into a computer simulation. Nigel was working for him, and got himself in that, err, I think it was called a "hole", where the dead were breaching through. I think he is in that hole, in a computer simulation of a town by Mr. Hadden, where ghosts are inhabiting the town in their own timeframe. I hope that makes sense. Do many of the town inhabitants refer to each other? I'm not sure, that's just my theory.

And I think Hardacre's ghost was from the future, since there are different timelines in Saxton. We see him get killed later, but maybe his ghost after he's been killed is wandering around, and tried to warn Nigle. That's kinda weird, though, if you go with all of the town are ghosts. They don't know they are dead except for the ones we can't see, and then Hardacre's ghost of an already dead man. lol Unless Hardacre, Nigel, and maybe Lucy are alive people trapped in the computer simulation, with the ghosts.

That's just my theory. I hope, if nothing else, you enjoyed hearing another person's view. lol

Really, do read those posts at the two links-they cleared up a lot of things for me, and made me come to my own conclusion that kind of helped me decide what had happened in the game.

And I agree with you totally, Sandman, about he would do anything to get the crown, just like the Agers.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #10

This was such a great game. I can't wait for a sequel. I really liked finding out that the Karswells were ghosts and would have loved to have that storyline played out more. It would have been fun to go back to the house and explore it burned down and derelict. I know a lot of people are Dark Fall fans but this was Boakes' best work in my opinion.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:34 PM   #11
Stalker of Britain

Hey all. I started replaying this wonderful game, and three things occured to me. First, at the beginning, you can see Cole Tawney's gravestone, which we learn about later. That was such a nice touch, and I had missed it the 1st time, because of course I had no idea what that was all about.

If you take no shots for the "Saxton Snappers", does Nigel still win?! I really want to know.

And wouldn't Edward have gotten poisened by the water like Christina did?
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 08-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #12

Hmm. If the town of Saxton is really a computer simulation made up of photographs, then the photographs must be of real places. How is it that Mr. Hadden was able to appropriate photos of real places (and is there a real Saxton that he took them from?) and use them to create this simulated place?
Old 08-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
And wouldn't Edward have gotten poisened by the water like Christina did?
I guess he wasn't exposed to the water as much as Christina. She was home all day. Edward left the house often and went away on business trips quite a bit.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #14
Stalker of Britain

Ah, that's right. Thank you! Now, if only someone can play through without taking any (unneccessary) pictures, I can figure out the other one.
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 08-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #15
Stalker of Britain

Okay, so to support the idea that the inhabitants of Saxton are in fact ghosts that regular people can see, and that they are each living in their own time, I've been replaying the game.

It seems Lucy (since the date on her wallet ID is like to 2010) and her brother are in the present, since they talk to each other and everything. And Lucy knows Morgan Mankle, so she is in the present. And since she seems to know Professor Hardachre and they are both mentioned in one article newspaper, I think all four are in the present.

The others, like Bob Tawney and Nanny Noah are more in the past, since they are more old fashioned, and Bob was mentioned in a totally separate article along with the crabs being polluted. So I believe there are sets of people living in the same time frams, with other sets living in other timeframes, and parts of Saxton reflect different time frames.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #16

I'm wondering if anyone knows if the scythe that killed Hardacre showed up in the game ... other than at the intro. I'm trying to remember.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 08-17-2008, 10:14 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilLives View Post
I'm wondering if anyone knows if the scythe that killed Hardacre showed up in the game ... other than at the intro. I'm trying to remember.
I think you see it when you finally get to go inside the net house (where the cats have been killed).
Old 08-18-2008, 06:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
I think you see it when you finally get to go inside the net house (where the cats have been killed).
Thank you, Melanie.

This suggests the killer of the cats and Hardacre are the same entity. So maybe they’ve arrested the wrong man … although an evil spirit might have possessed the mentally ill man and also killed Hardacre for taking the Crown.

Maybe this spirit flew from the future (as in the start of the game) where Hadden was in possession of the scythe and the ancient mask.

I’m clear as mud about the story line but here is a possible theory … bits and pieces of which are already mentioned.

I don’t think Nigel or any of the people of Saxton are avatars or in a computer program. I think Nigel worked for Hadden who discovered the ability to go back and forth in time over Saxton and its surrounding areas. The chasm is located down the hall where the safe was once hidden. Harbor Cottage is actually where the future Hadden Industries set up shop and devised ways to monitor events and play with time with some limitations. The wheelchair slipped through the cracks in time suggesting Hadden’s office was once the kitchen. This type of layering is similar to Lighthouse by the same author.

It’s possible Hadden was using his freakish knowledge to rob ancient antiquities. That’s why some objects, i.e. the mask were in his office, upsetting the original owner. Maybe it wasn’t just the telescope being taken from the museum that Bob spoke of to Nigel at the Fayre … although Nigel’s guilt made him think that it was all about him and the telescope.

The moment Nigel boarded the modern train Hadden transformed time in hopes that Nigel would find the Crown and bring it back to him. That’s why he called Lucy at the end and told her to pull Nigel back from the chasm … before Nigel could take the Crown back to the tomb.

Luckily Lucy wasn’t able to stop Nigel. He is a good guy who throughout the game was able to release several ghosts locked in time. Not all people Nigel came upon in Saxton were ghosts, however … although Nigel saw them at different times from one another. Bob roasting the pig, for example, mentioned “feeding this lot” because he saw lots of people at the Fayre while Nigel (and the game player) only saw people working the stalls.

Crystal clear, isn’t it?

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 08-31-2008, 05:55 PM   #19
Stalker of Britain

You bring up a good point, April. Nigel is the only one wandering around the fayre. Strange; I never thought of that before...Why all the festivities when no one else is there?!

I don't think "Lighthouse" was made by Jonathan Boakes. In fact it wasn't, although he did write a game *about* a lighthouse.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
You bring up a good point, April. Nigel is the only one wandering around the fayre. Strange; I never thought of that before...Why all the festivities when no one else is there?!
I don't think there is anything big behind it other then the art of the game. 1st it keeps & the game focused on the main characters. There were of course other people in the town with all those houses. We even see a few handful of people here & there in the town, i.e.

i. The guy looking for treasure right outside the Cottage.

ii. The guy walking buy in the street near where we see the the above guy.

iii. A guy walking in the street we can see from other side of the cottage (where we met Hardacre for the 1st time & Luci loves have coffee/tea at).

iv. The Kid with the camera, whom we really come close to but never speak to.

v. The voices of people from the bakery when Denvers goes in.

These people might be at the festival, only that the game makers preferred not to show them, which I believe was a very good idea. Too many people around together would have killed the creepiness of the game.

A sequal clearing up our questions is a must. A wouldn't mind a game where Denvers goes back & forth in flash backs. May be he is found in a mental asylum talking about Saxton & its people who are found to be non-existent or dead since WW-I or WW-II. Town bombed to to ruins. But Mr. Hayden found some way of bringing human mental state to seeing the dead or past & even interact with & Denvers became a test subject for him. Result; Denvers gone mad. Of course in this condition we should not have Denvers as the lead character or the only lead character. May be a new investigating officer or a young curious doctor whom Hayden plunges into Denvers mind (into Sexton memories) to bring him back to sanity so Hayden can have what he sent Denvers to Saxton for. ... The Crown! Denvers put the crown back, lets say in the past or the dead Saxton but since his body is in (or now is in) present he can retrieve the crown from its original place in the present-time. But only if his mind is brought back which is still in Saxton.

lol , just an idea.

Last edited by Sandman; 09-01-2008 at 11:41 AM.