You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Living in an adventure game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Living in an adventure game

This family of 4 (with one dog) live in an $8.5 million 4,200 sq. ft. apartment on Fifth Ave. in Manhatten, NY. The apartment was renovated and the architect put in a series of hidden puzzles that the family would find by surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
They are living in a typical habitat for the sort of New Yorkers they appear to be: an enormous ’20s-era co-op with Central Park views (once part of a triplex built for the philanthropist Marjorie Merriweather Post), gutted to its steel beams and refitted with luxurious flourishes like 16th-century Belgian mantelpieces and custom furniture made from exotic woods with unpronounceable names.

But some of that furniture and some of those walls conceal secrets — messages, games and treasures — that make up a Rube Goldberg maze of systems and contraptions conceived by a young architectural designer named Eric Clough, whose ideas about space and domestic living derive more from Buckminster Fuller than Peter Marino.
A slide show of the apartment

Although, they kind of blew it. The article and slideshow are full of spoilers.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
Adventurer

That is so cool.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:27 PM   #3
tsa
Playing character

The people who live there know all the clues. I wonder what the point is then. I wouldn't want people, even my friends, to examine every nook and cranny of my house in search for clues. Luckily I don't have many friends who like adventure games
Old 06-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #4

Well there's a clue in the 1st sentence. $8.4 million. Looking at the photos on the slideshow I was able to deduce it down to a select number of letters:

Y.O.U.V.E.B.E.E.N.C.O.N.N.E.D

It's a really nice house though and a lovely idea. I'm sure when the family leave or pass away there will be rumours of hidden treasure and stories of people visiting there for a night's sleep and coming back claiming there to be zombies roaming around in it.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #5

Wow, that is awesome. The hallway piece with the da vinci designs looks especially interesting.

My only question is the house compatible with SCUMMVM?
Old 05-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I'm bumping this to show a cool picture. I'm not sure where it's from and it's nothing to do with the apartment mentioned in the original post. But it's a real-life adventure puzzle!! Ha!

Old 05-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
Ace Attorney

Send a message via AIM to shezcrafti

I guess rich people don't need to play adventure games, they can just freaking hire a team of people to turn their life into one.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:03 PM   #8

Ha, that's awesome, yet odd. If I had that kind of money, I'd much rather make a game
Old 05-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #9

Hah, that's awesome.

Perhaps the husband is planning on committing a grisly murder inside the house, then the police department will send a single detective inside the house to try and solve the mystery, who will then have to get passed each puzzle to gain further entry into the house, picking up random objects along the way and combining them into his inventory, figuring out when and here he needs to use them, which he will at some point...

Hey, it could happen!

Puzzler (who had not read the above comment before writing his post. The fact that we both started with "Hah, that's awesome" was completely coincidental.)
Old 05-03-2009, 05:40 AM   #10

Is there a slider puzzle to open the safe...?
Old 05-04-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
Game Creator Hobbyist

Pretty cool, but I suspect it's a computer generated image and not a real photo, and thus not a real-life adventure puzzle either.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #12

This is so awesome. I wish I was talented enough to build a hidden puzzle within my own house.

Makes me wish I was rich enough to afford to have architects make stuff like this.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #13

Cool, but a waste of money!

Oh wells.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:48 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
Pretty cool, but I suspect it's a computer generated image and not a real photo, and thus not a real-life adventure puzzle either.
Are you dashing my hopes? *sniff*