You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure (spoilers inside) NEW!! DREAMFALL: CHAPTERS info

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008, 07:16 AM   #1

Default (spoilers inside) NEW!! DREAMFALL: CHAPTERS info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar Tornquist
A lot of you - a lot of you - have been asking about the status of Dreamfall Chapters and the continuation of The Longest Journey saga. So let me try and clear up some of the confusion without, hopefully, making things even more confusing.

Dreamfall Chapters - and, by proxy, The Longest Journey - isn’t Funcom’s highest priority at this point. With Age of Conan live, The Secret World staffing up in every department, and other games in various stages of development, the project is currently on the back burner - but it hasn’t been abandoned.

Dreamfall is currently available for the 360 through Xbox Live and the PC through Steam, The Longest Journey is still selling after all these years, and despite keeping incredibly busy with various other projects, I intend to continue both the story of Dreamfall (and Zoë) as well as the saga itself through other games set in the same universe, possibly between the events of TLJ and Dreamfall…and before. And after.

I have A Few Ideas.

Also, there’s stuff that needs to happen before we close the book on our characters and their collective fates. All of our characters. Including you-know-who.

Fortunately for me, and perhaps unfortunately for you, nothing will happen with either Dreamfall or TLJ unless I’m directly involved, and right now my days are packed from beginning to end with The Secret World (and a few other things that I can’t talk about), but whenever I have a moment I pull up the relevant documents and tinker a bit with What Will Be in the grand TLJ saga.

When will things move forward? I actually don’t know, but when I do you’ll be the first to know. (Well, not quite the first, but you’ll be up there.) It’ll be a while, but we’re not going to ask you to wait forever.

Will Zoë be back?
Spoiler:
Of course. Her story isn’t over, not by a long shot. She’s changed - in more ways than one - but she’ll be back.

What happens to Kian Alvane? He’s an important part of the puzzle, and he’ll be an important part of Dreamfall Chapters. He’s in a Bad Place right now, but he’ll bounce back. He’s that kind of guy.

And is April Ryan really, really dead?

If I answered that one, there’d be no incentive to wait around for the continuation and conclusion. So I’m not telling.

source: Ragnar Tornquist himself (the creator of TLJ series)

Last edited by Melanie68; 06-06-2008 at 11:22 AM. Reason: added spoiler tags and quote tags for clarity of authorship
Old 06-06-2008, 08:00 AM   #2

Oh, come on -
Spoiler:
absolutely no way is April dead. I mean, for heaven's sake, we didn't even see her hit the water. I'm still keen to know what happened to her - in fact, it's the only thing I really care about after playing Dreamfall - but I don't believe for a second that she's actually been killed.

Last edited by Melanie68; 06-06-2008 at 08:23 AM. Reason: added spoiler tags just to be on the safe side. :)
Old 06-06-2008, 09:12 AM   #3

Besides,
Spoiler:
they can't kill April without breaking TLJ. Remember the opening and closing scenes.

Last edited by Melanie68; 06-06-2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: added spoiler tags
Old 06-06-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
tsa
Playing character

Especially the closing scene,
Spoiler:
where Crow talks about the adventures of the warrior princess who single-handedly did something brave which I forgot
Old 06-06-2008, 11:24 AM   #5
Super Moderator

I put a general spoiler warning in the thread title. I think it's difficult to talk about this game without bringing up TLJ and Dreamfall. Although, try to use spoiler tags for big things.

I even added them to the original post and put quote tags. Even though the source is at the bottom, it's still confusing at first who the author is.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #6

ok cool
Old 06-08-2008, 01:18 AM   #7
Dungeon Master

I am surprised, and more than a little annoyed, that Ragnar assumed everybody who is interested in Dreamfall Chapters must have played Dreamfall already. This is the man who labelled AG review as spoilerish because it originally mentioned
Spoiler:
Kian's surname,
which is by far the lighter of the two spoilers he put in the quoted blog post without any warning.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:08 AM   #8
tsa
Playing character

I must say I didn't like that either. Fortunately there are still a lot of questions left. Will Kian survive? What is Brian Westhouses role in the story? Will we see Emma and Charlie back? And what about the woman who killed Peetes (did I spell that right) in Dreamfall?
Old 06-08-2008, 08:00 PM   #9

Is this episodic content? I ask based solely on the name. I don't like episodes. And can they at least tell us what the style of gameplay is? Or is it more run to next cutscene like the last one?
Old 06-08-2008, 08:17 PM   #10
tsa
Playing character

The next installment will most likely be episodic, yes. I must say I'm also not too enthousiastic about that.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:40 PM   #11

To give counterbalance after and before all the whiners that will complain in this thread: Ragnar, episodic is the way to go and I like it, I trust that you will do the right thing.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:38 PM   #12

Quote:
If I answered that one, there’d be no incentive to wait around for the continuation and conclusion. So I’m not telling.
That really sound like "yes" to me. It's like when you tell a child "is there a surprise for you? We'll see...".

About episodes: I guess they are OK if they are like chapters of a book (Dreamfall Chapters, hmmm), so you can eventually play a full-length game. But if they are independent mini-games the end result ends up being repetitive (from my experience with Sam & Max).
Old 06-09-2008, 03:39 AM   #13
Banned User

@Periglo: It will be more of an episodic trend similar to epic television series that have a continuous non-cartoony story line. (Lost, Battlestar Galactica, Dr. Who, and others)
Old 06-09-2008, 11:20 AM   #14
tsa
Playing character

I hope it's possible to wait until all chapters are released and then play the whole game in one go.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:12 AM   #15

I dislike episodic games, and INTENTENSELY HATE those which can only be downloaded and come with all sorts of restrictions... the bottom line being that they're never really "yours" to do whatever you like with !!
Old 06-10-2008, 02:00 AM   #16

I would be able to put up with this episodic idea, it is not so bad after all and maybe the game is going to be longer because of it and explore all the loose ands Dreamfall created.

For me a more disturbing question is, what the control system is going to look like. I hope it is not going to be another adventure game with stealth, fighting etc. Action elements ruin everything for me
Old 06-10-2008, 09:26 AM   #17

Considering how Dreamfall ended, I suspect each of the Dreamfall Chapters would end in a similar way. I can't say I care for that.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple View Post
Considering how Dreamfall ended, I suspect each of the Dreamfall Chapters would end in a similar way. I can't say I care for that.
At least you won't have to wait 4-5 years for each episode.
I'm not a big fun of the idea of episode format for dreamfall but it's better than nothing. I'm guessing the cliffhangers will be infuriating though.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #19

I'm done with Dreamfall. To h*ll with Chapters.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:33 PM   #20
Thats the ticket

I just hope they make the chapters a proper adventure game like TLJ