You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008, 11:26 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Sandman
Default Horror Adventure

I have got long vacation coming up and I plan to waste it on adventure games

I already have few games to finish, or rather start. But I was thinking of playing some horror adventure like Scratches and the Lost Crown. So any recommendations? It should be of this decade (post yr 2000) & really should be scary.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:18 AM   #2

Have you already played Darkness within: in Pursuit of Loath Nolder?
Creeeepy!
Or the two Dark Fall Games by Jonathan Boakes (he made Lost Crown). Loved them both, but mostly people like game one (The Journal) more.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagul View Post
Have you already played Darkness within: in Pursuit of Loath Nolder?
Creeeepy!
Or the two Dark Fall Games by Jonathan Boakes (he made Lost Crown). Loved them both, but mostly people like game one (The Journal) more.
I have heard abt Darkness Within. Will look for it.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:12 AM   #4
Freeware Co-ordinator

If you're happy purchasing games by download then it is in the Adventure Shop.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 05-28-2008, 04:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
If you're happy purchasing games by download then it is in the Adventure Shop.
Just read the review & changed my mind.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:30 AM   #6

Barrow Hill
Black Mirror
Blackstone Chronicles
Dracula games (2)
Faust
Morpheus
Sanitarium
Shivers games (2)

Some are pre-2000 but very much worth playing.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:53 AM   #7
MaStER of DaRkNeSs

Seriously, get Darkness Within, its amazing. I am a massive fan of horror games and I was totally blown away with it. Also check out Barrow Hill and Black Mirror, those both are great as well.

Last edited by TezChi; 05-28-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:32 AM   #8
Caffein Queen

I think you should get Darkness within too.
I'm SO not a horror fan, but thought I would try one out and chose this one as my first.
The story and suspense is great, but just too scary for me, so I don't know if I'll ever finish it

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 05-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #9

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Barrow Hill is a wonderful game, with a very creepy atmosphere and puzzles very well designed. I vividly recommend you to play this game.

Scratches, instead, is a huge disappointment, in my opinion.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 05-29-2008, 08:56 AM   #10
MaStER of DaRkNeSs

I'm actually downloading the Demo for Scratches right now. I have a feeling I'll love it, as I think Darkness Within and Barrow Hill are both fantastic. If its good I'll run out and buy the full version right away.

Reminds me, OP, why dont you try out the demo for Darkness Within? Its only about 200MB if I remember and gives a pretty good feeling of the game.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #11
Awesome!

Let me say this. The best Adventure Horror game you could ever hope to play is the Resident Evil remake for Gamecube. I think most people don't think of it as an adventure game because it involves killing zombies. There is a massive item inventory, doors that you have to find keys to unlock, hidden passageways, puzzles, and many creative areas to explore.

For me, the thing that really sets it apart as one of the best adventure games is the care and effort that the developers took to make it a great experience for the person playing. They really went above and beyond in the design and attention to detail to not only make it difficult, but to also make it interesting. When you finally figure out how to get inside a room you are not only scared of what's on the other side, but you are excited to be going into a new area that you've never encountered before. The story builds slowly by reading journals left from researchers and scientists, but it all starts coming together nicely at the end as you start getting an overall image of what had transpired. I can't recommend it enough.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TezChi View Post
I'm actually downloading the Demo for Scratches right now. I have a feeling I'll love it, as I think Darkness Within and Barrow Hill are both fantastic. If its good I'll run out and buy the full version right away.
Make sure you pick up the director's cut. It's the same price as the original game. It's exactly the same as the original game with some graphical tweaks (that I didn't really notice ), an option if you choose the right thing to get an alternate ending and a small extra game that takes place at the same mansion but at a point in the future.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:44 PM   #13

Question about Barrow Hill - I was thinking of getting it for my gf, who is getting into Adventure games. Would someone with little experience in adventure games be able to play though Barrow Hill or are the puzzles too hard?
Old 05-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #14
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by doron View Post
Question about Barrow Hill - I was thinking of getting it for my gf, who is getting into Adventure games. Would someone with little experience in adventure games be able to play though Barrow Hill or are the puzzles too hard?
It can be pretty hard, but I felt that it was a pretty easy game. Fun nonetheless. Hopefully she likes scary games. ^_^
Old 05-29-2008, 05:17 PM   #15

Am I missing something here? Horror + Adventure Game + Recent = Penumbra, no?

I've played through a lot of Penumbra: Black Plague and it's really great. It's definitely scary. I always feel a little creeped out when running away from things in first-person POV games. Black Plague is the second one in the series. Many adventure gamers didn't like the first part 'cause it featured actual combat. Weird mouse thrashing combat apparently.

Anyway, Penumbra features a small inventory, and lots of physics based problems a la Half Life 2. Instead of "pixel hunts" you scrounged around a 3D environment, open lots of doors and cabinets with the mouse, and move stuff around. I think this style of play may be the future of adventure games myself.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TezChi View Post
Seriously, get Darkness Within, its amazing. I am a massive fan of horror games and I was totally blown away with it. Also check out Barrow Hill and Black Mirror, those both are great as well.
Played the Black Mirror. Wasn't a scary game but nevertheless one of my all time favorites. Can't wait for the sequel.

I'll go for the Darkness Within than. Seems like lot of ppl liked it.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Steeze View Post
Let me say this. The best Adventure Horror game you could ever hope to play is the Resident Evil remake for Gamecube. I think most people don't think of it as an adventure game because it involves killing zombies. There is a massive item inventory, doors that you have to find keys to unlock, hidden passageways, puzzles, and many creative areas to explore.
I call Resident Evil Action-Adventure. & I think if I have to go in that line than Silent Hill more scary than RE.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:45 PM   #18
MaStER of DaRkNeSs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Make sure you pick up the director's cut. It's the same price as the original game. It's exactly the same as the original game with some graphical tweaks (that I didn't really notice ), an option if you choose the right thing to get an alternate ending and a small extra game that takes place at the same mansion but at a point in the future.

Thanks! I'll be sure to pick up that version when I see it. I downloaded the demo and thought it was good. Not as "terrifying" as Darkness Within but a great atmopshere nontheless. I'll be getting next time I'm town most probably.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:32 AM   #19
Lazy Bee

Quote:
I think Barrow Hill would be a great game for someone fairly new to adventure games.
And if it gets too hard, she can do what I do (although not in Barrow Hill): check a hint or two in the UHS hints
Old 06-01-2008, 06:05 AM   #20
Dark fall fan

Send a message via MSN to Big Al

Quote:
Its not to hard, but i would reccomend lost crown more its easyer and the moovement is a lot better. I dont think that the old style of moovement from the 1st peson is for the beginners, hope she doesnt give up and i find barrow hill quite scary wondering in the woods in the dark!