You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure games where you CAN die!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008, 09:38 AM   #1

Default Adventure games where you CAN die!

First post

I saw a thread below titled "Adventure Games where you can't die", and couldn't help but post this. I think that person simply wanted to avoid violence, but I would really like to play a game made in the last 5 years that had lots of fun death scenes like King's Quest, or especially Space Quest.

I don't know about you, but killing Roger Wilco was half the fun of Space Quest! When Roger entered a scene with lava, the first thing I did was walk him right into it. We'll see if that bit of space junk will work as a pole vault later. Strange pod like things hanging under a rock? Go say "hi," Roger! Pod Chow! Ha, hilarious!

GameSpot still likes to give points to new adventure games for not allowing death, but, come on, aren't there any AGs with fun death scenes anymore??
Old 05-21-2008, 10:03 AM   #2

Agreed. I love adventure game deaths. The sierra games were great because they normally had elaborate animations for deaths, which were often hilarious, especially in the Space Quest series.

One notable adventure game that would not be as fantastic were it not for the deaths would be King's Quest VI. There were many deaths in the game and everytime you died, you were treated to a 20-second scene of a ghost Alexander entering the underworld. Anyone who's played through the game knows the death scene well. Yet later in the game Alexander must journey to the underworld while still alive, and there is a puzzle on the exact scene you see while dying involving you sneaking into the underworld without a so called "death ticket". Its great that after months of being frustrated at seeing that scene, you are now seeing it as a non-frustrating and integral part of the game. Classic.

Plus, I always thought the threat of death made adventure games more chilling. A good example is The Pandora Directive, in which there is a sequence where an alien entity chases Tex Murphy around Area 51. Every once and a while when the alien is near (he is invisible so you can't see it), Tex will stop and mutter "The hairs on the back of my neck just stood up". Chilling stuff, which wouldn't be near as terrifying if you knew that you couldn't die.

As much as I love the Lucasarts games, I hated the non-death responses. For example in the Monkey Island games, I was always trying to get Gybrush to do stupid/deadly things, and everytime I'd get a response akin to "I'm not doing that." or "That's look dangerous, better not". Much less humourous than the Space Quest games, which would allow you to do said stupid things, and then usually the narrator would make fun of either you or Roger for doing that action.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerTails View Post
As much as I love the Lucasarts games, I hated the non-death responses. For example in the Monkey Island games, I was always trying to get Gybrush to do stupid/deadly things, and everytime I'd get a response akin to "I'm not doing that." or "That's look dangerous, better not". Much less humourous than the Space Quest games, which would allow you to do said stupid things, and then usually the narrator would make fun of either you or Roger for doing that action.
Any humor lost by not having deaths is more than made up for by the death scene on the Monkey Island cliff where a message saying that you've died comes up, then Guybrush flies back up and says "Rubber Tree". That cracked me up.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:44 AM   #4

I know it's not a new game, but The Colonel's Bequest has some excellent death sequences. A few come to mind involving a chandelier, a suit of armor, a bell-tower, a closet, a shower, the swamp. All great fun! Just remember: Save Early, Save Often

More recent games with death scenes? Hmm. I really can't think of too many. The Black Mirror had a few, but they weren't especially clever. I think NiBiRu also had some, but I can't remember them. Barrow Hill has at least one. I remember it made me laugh, but I don't think it was intentional.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure you can die in Legend of Kyrandia. I've only played the first. I don't know if they're humorous (I can't remember).

Also, in Black Mirror, the first time I accidentally killed Samuel, I laughed because it took me by surprise.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:05 PM   #6

All the Nancy Drew games have a scenario where you can die.

The one game I enjoyed all the death scenes was in The Quivering.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:19 AM   #7

Broken Sword 3 has numerous places where you can die as a result of not pushing the correct arrow, a la Tomb Raider. Fortunately you are returned to right before the sequence starts that fatal decision so you can do it right.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:15 AM   #8
Has a jaw of sweet teeth

Zack and Wiki (for the Wii) have deaths me'think. But I assume that they are more frustrating then funny... might be wrong though.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:08 AM   #9

They weren't funny, but Indigo Prophecy had the best death/failures of any game I have played recently. In keeping with the cinematic style, each dead end point had its own little cut scene that tailored the brand of death or failure to the specific incident. You could then replay that chapter and try for a different result.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:19 AM   #10
The Ultimate Insult

well the obvious ones to mention here are Ben Croshaw's games, 5 days a stranger, and 7 days a skeptic.
And possibly Trilby's notes (I dont know, I didnt finish it I got so freaked out lol.)
6 days a sacrifice doesnt let you die, rather you wake up, (which was nice for me, having finally completed a croshaw game cus I didnt die every two seconds) My click reflexes suck, basically. Lol So yeah, those above three are chocabloc with nice little gory death abilities. xD

Currently playing; CSI Deadly Intent, Tales Of Monkey Island Ep 1
Recently finished;Secret Files Puritas Cordis, Prof Layton and Pandora's Box
Eagerly anticipating;Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe new world, Nearly Departed
Old 05-23-2008, 10:42 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerTails View Post
I couldn't agree more with your point. The "I'm not doing that" is the worst response you can possibly get in an AG.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 05-23-2008, 12:43 PM   #12

The problem, I think, is that there aren't a lot of "cartoon" AGs anymore. Seeing the lead in Syberia die wouldn't really be entertaining. Besides Sam and Max, I can't think of too many adventure games that would benefit from them. There are also a significant lack of funny games, and death scenes go well in funny games.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:06 PM   #13
LA-S-LE

Eric the Unready and Zork: Grand Inquisitor had some of the best death scenes described in text.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:55 PM   #14
Banned User

Fun death scenes would be comedy. All Sierra quest series games were comedy no matter how you died so I wouldn't even count that. What I take it to mean is games where the suspense is meant to terrify, things pop up out of nowhere not just to kill you but to scare the unholy crap out of you. I myself cannot enjoy getting into a game's storyline only to bump into one of those "BOO" scenes every so often and have my heart skip a beat, that's what rollercoasters are for :p...

Codeguru
Old 05-24-2008, 12:14 AM   #15
QFG

I agree that death scenes both raise the stakes, and add another level of humor to a cleverly designed game. +1!
Old 05-24-2008, 04:56 AM   #16
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
The problem, I think, is that there aren't a lot of "cartoon" AGs anymore. Seeing the lead in Syberia die wouldn't really be entertaining. Besides Sam and Max, I can't think of too many adventure games that would benefit from them. There are also a significant lack of funny games, and death scenes go well in funny games.
They don't necessarily just work well in comedic games. I'm replaying Gabriel Knight 1 for the first time in a few years and the death scenes are done real well in that.

I agree they wouldn't work in a game like Syberia, but that's because the character is not suppose to be in serious danger (in the first game at least, never played the second). In most games there is suppose to be a much larger threat of danger.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #17

I like death scenes best when there is NO sense of danger. If you play a Sierra game, and there is, for instance, a road. You know not just to walk onto it. But you do anyway, just to see what happens when the chracter (prolly Sonny Liston in this case) gets ran over. It's funny 'cause it's pointless. It's like an adventure game non-sequitor. Maybe Adult Swim will make an adventure game, and it will be filled to the brim with stuff like that. Are there any jokes on AS that aren't non-sequitors?

Besides comedy, death scense obviously also make sense in horror.

Oh, and the scariest part I've played in a game is when that giant bug chases you in the latest episode of of Half-Life 2. I could almost feel it's claws on my back as I dove into another tunnel. It made throwing random junk at it so much fun later!
Old 05-25-2008, 10:57 AM   #18

Prisoner of Ice had numerous death scenes, though they were rarely funny.

Beneath a Steel Sky had a couple, some of which were quite good - getting turned to dust by the police scanner if you were foolish enough to try again after it fails on you was a good one.

Anything by Sierra, of course (except Ecoquest and maybe Pepper's adventures in time). Some good death moments, but then, some which are a bit harsh (the dog in Hugo's House of Horrors required fast reactions, a little unfair, and of course, the darn scorpion in any Sierra game with a desert).
Old 05-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #19
The Ultimate Insult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobriand View Post

Beneath a Steel Sky had a couple, some of which were quite good - getting turned to dust by the police scanner if you were foolish enough to try again after it fails on you was a good one.
And the um.. creature, in the wall, lol!

Currently playing; CSI Deadly Intent, Tales Of Monkey Island Ep 1
Recently finished;Secret Files Puritas Cordis, Prof Layton and Pandora's Box
Eagerly anticipating;Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe new world, Nearly Departed
Old 05-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #20

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

Two of the Microprose adventures, Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender and Dragonsphere had bits you could die in them.