You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Simon the Sorcerer 4: Major Disappointment !?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #1

Default Simon the Sorcerer 4: Major Disappointment !?!

Hey guys,

I have been playing STS 4 for a little bit, and I am really sad. I was hoping it would be at least a fun game, and with the screenshots it promissed to be a nice game as well ...

Well, the game IS quite good looking, and the gameplay is okay. Even the hinting system is nice, for those who do not want to alt-tab to walkthroughs. But that's actually the only point in which this part excells Simon 3d.

You can say what you want about Simon the Third, but at least it was funny (HammOOORRR !!!! Thousands of witty puns, etc.) and the voice acting was brilliant. In Simon 4 this is not the case. The jokes are extremely lame (as are the puns), and I never believe the characters, simply because their voices suck big time.

I could go on about this for quite some time, but the bottom line is: Simon 4 is a missed opportunity of epic proportion. Let's hope Vampyres and Homicidal Painters will make up for 2008.

ps. If you disagree with me, and think that Simon3D is NOT funny, you will DEFINITELY not like Simon 4
Old 05-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #2

Yeah, it's pretty terrible. While the gameplay is an improvement over Simon 3D (how could you do worse?), the combination of bad acting and poorly translated punchlines makes for a seriously tedious experience.

Skip this one.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #3

If I never played any StS games, will I enjoy this one?

what is "Vampyres and Homicidal Painters"?
Old 05-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #4

If I were you, I would go for the first two installments.

"Vampyre" as in "A Vampyre Story", and "Painter" as in Still Life (2), two games I am definitely looking forward to.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #5

Actually I have to say that I liked STS 4
It wasn´t the best AG I ever encountered, but for me it was pretty good in fact
btw looking forward to "Vampyres and murdering artists" as well
Old 05-13-2008, 08:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel4444 View Post
If I never played any StS games, will I enjoy this one?
I definitively recommend you to play the first two games. They're hilarious. Fun puzzles, great puns and very funny characters.

As far as StS4 goes, I haven't played it long enough to give it any real critic. According to some posters on another forum the game starts kinda slow but picks up the pace after a little while. I've practically just began, so in spite of the posts above me I'll give the game the benefit of the doubt and make up my own mind about it once it's played through.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:56 AM   #7

I thought it was pretty decent though I had the benefit of playing the German version.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:43 PM   #8

I've just started playing it and already I've got that sinking 'I've wasted my money' feeling. I stopped playing after about 30 minutes, I really just couldnt cope with the Simon voice-over which just sounds completely idiotic.

Someone please give me a reason to give it another chance. Lie about how his voice and acting gets much better later or something. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:38 PM   #9

The voice acting goes from bad to worse, unfortunately. If it's any consolation, the puzzles get marginally more interesting once you get to town.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:21 AM   #10

Can the voices be turned off?
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 05-14-2008, 11:20 AM   #11
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

Well, you always can turn off your speakers, in the worst case.