You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Point and Click Games where you can't die!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2008, 08:05 AM   #1

Default Point and Click Games where you can't die!

I posted this on an Amazon forum and someone kindly pointed me in this direction, saying that you folks would have loads of ideas!

I hate being shot at/eaten/blown up (odd I know) and I play PC games on Vista (which is a pain in itself as I struggle to know what will and won't work!)

I have played Discworld (1-3), The Longest Journey, Keepsake, Tunguska and a couple of the Broken Sword games (after the second one things kept trying to kill me!)

Any other suggestions?
Old 05-09-2008, 08:26 AM   #2
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Monkey Island Series, Runaway, Agatha Christie Games (I'm pretty sure you can't die)
Old 05-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #3

You can't die in any of the LucasArts adventure games. (Well only in the 1st Monkey Island game if you try really really hard you can get yourself into a position where you can't get any further ) So I'd definitely recommend those to you.

Simon the Sorcerer I & II.
The new Sam & Max episodic games are pretty cool too, but personally I find them just a little bit too easy...
Old 05-09-2008, 10:32 AM   #4

Sam and Max (Hit the Road and Seasons 1 and 2), Full Throttle (those bikefalls don't count, do they? ), Day of the Tentacle and incidentally... I have no mouth and I must scream; to name just a few. But, after naming the last one, I just have to ask: do you specifically like adventure point and click games in which you can't die or are you just making a list?
Old 05-09-2008, 11:34 AM   #5

Thanks for your replies so far - I do specifically like point and click games, and I really dislike dying - or, more accurately, put in a situation where I have a very limited amount of time to decide what to do! (It stresses me out!)
Old 05-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #6

Though I haven't won it yet, I don't believe you can die in Jack Keane... can anyone confirm this? There's a demo of that out too if you wanna try it.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Welcome to AG originalliesel.

As others are replying, I'll refer you to this thread which has some other game recommendation threads (by theme) in it as well as some info about Adventure Gamers' main site.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:18 AM   #8
Caffein Queen

As for games working in Vista try this thread
http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...ad.php?t=21904

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 05-10-2008, 09:32 AM   #9

You can't die in the Syberia games. (Some might point out that you can't do a lot of things in those games, but I digress.)
Old 05-10-2008, 11:42 AM   #10

I don't think you can die in the Agon series either or in any of the Sherlock Holmes games? Can anyone confirm this ?

If you read the review for Overclocked it seems that you can't die either.

Avoid the King's Quest series at all costs, though --- someone thought it would be funny to provide silly ways for your character to die...

Last edited by aries323; 05-10-2008 at 11:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-14-2008, 11:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries323 View Post
Avoid the King's Quest series at all costs, though --- someone thought it would be funny to provide silly ways for your character to die...
King's Quest 7 is a great game, and if you die, you can just return to the point right before you died. So if having to save too often is the issue, you won't have to worry about it. If you just get turned off by death, it's definitely not a good choice.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries323 View Post
I don't think you can die in the Agon series either or in any of the Sherlock Holmes games? Can anyone confirm this ?
I don't remember if you can die in the case of the silver earring, but is has a number of timed sequences of the type originalliesel is trying to avoid.

These things don't happen in Agon 1-3 (haven't played 4).
Old 05-14-2008, 07:16 PM   #13
It's Hard To Be Humble

As mentioned, the Syberia games are good and pretty bloodless.

You might find the first and second Myst games (Myst and Riven) good. I'd like to recommend the third and fourth games of that series as well, but sadly, these were made by different developers who didn't stick to Rand's template for the Myst games, which included no death scenarios. Exile and Revelation each have one possible death sequence that might bum you out.

I can't really recommend the fifth and final installment of the Myst series (End of Ages), because it deviated from the point and click formula. Not a lot. You CAN do point and click mode, but I'm not sure how well it works. And sadly, you won't be able to play any of the URU games, because those all use direction keys for movement. Too bad, because they're really neat games.

I can't recommend any Myst clones, because sadly, most of them just aren't as good (sorry guys), and I can't recommend any of the older '3D Adventure' games that also worked like the original Myst games (Obsidian, The Last Express, Shivers, Buried in Time: The Journeyman Project II), as I don't know if any of those games will run on Vista (I'm still on XP myself. So far, so good). If you do come across the ones I've listed, give them a try. Shivers is nerve-wracking and there IS a sort of life meter mechanic to the game, where being attacked by too many ghosts loses the game (and your soul), but it's not as dangerous as a Lara Croft game.

Oh yeah, and no Lara Croft for you.

One game I really want to recommend that you might be cautioned about is Still Life, but if you were okay with the opening sequence in Discworld Noir, I think you'll be okay with the scene late in Still Life that causes a wee bit of tension (nothing to fear; just a little nerve-wracking).

I have never finished Post Mortem, so I don't know if that one is safe to recommend. I think it is, but it's fairly creepy, even though it's also a bit clunky and hard to stay immersed in (for me).

I really want to recommend TLJ II: Dreamfall... but I can't. It's not really point and click, and it has a few sequences that would really upset you, even though the likelihood of death in that game is so slim, it's laughable. Several sequences are really tense-making, and sadly, there is a fair bit more violent action involved than I think you'd be comfortable with. Stuff DOES attack you, so you probably wouldn't like it.

For those same reasons, stay away from Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy).

The Sam and Max games have cartoon violence, but are good silly fun.

I can't tell you if Moment of Silence is safe, because I still haven't installed it. I hear it's pretty bloodless though.

And yes, the Agatha Christie games are safe.

Grim Fandango should be okay, though I'm not sure if it will run in Vista.

And I'd bet good money that the Nancy Drew games are safe for you too, and apparently, some of them are much better than you might imagine from a teen-oriented game series.

Those are all the current games I've played and/or feel safe recommending to you. I hope to add more to the list soon, because I'm not fond of death sequences myself. I get very anxious playing games where I'm afraid stuff like that can happen.

Oh, and Welcome to the AG Forums!
Old 05-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #14

You are all superstars for spending so long thinking of things I might like! I have just bought the Syberia pack and am really enjoying that - totally stress free apart from one sequence with a clock where I wanted to throw my laptop through the window because I couldn't figure it out! I will also check out Still Life - keep em coming!
Old 05-16-2008, 07:20 PM   #15
Friendly Server Admin

Sam & Max?

/plug
Old 05-18-2008, 11:02 AM   #16
catou

You will enjoy Nostradamus, no fight struggling.

You will also enjoy Sherlock Holmes vs Arsene Lupin.

Have a great day!
Old 05-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #17
Banned User

Do yourself a favor and play Myst 1-4 and URU: Complete Chronicles (Ages Beyond Myst and all expansions). I dunno about Rand Miller not making 3 and 4 since that's him playing as two of the characters in each. Anyway in 3 and 4 the dying part is only part of the "lose game" scenerio and I think can only happen in 3 at the end and only in 2 different ways, but 4 I never beat, gotta go back and play it I guess. If you like all those then you could try Myst 5 but it's way too easy and childish, and all it does is close out the storyline for good...

Codeguru
Old 05-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #18
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeguru View Post
Do yourself a favor and play Myst 1-4 and URU: Complete Chronicles (Ages Beyond Myst and all expansions). I dunno about Rand Miller not making 3 and 4 since that's him playing as two of the characters in each.
Rand only played two characters in the original Myst game (Atrus and Achenar; His brother Robyn played Sirrus. The roles of Sirrus and Achenar were played by different actors in Revelations). He agreed to reprise the role of Atrus in Exile as well as in Revelations, but the games were developed by Presto and Ubisoft (Montreal?) respectively, essentially with his blessing. However, I'm pretty sure the scenes near the end of both Exile and Revelations would not have been in the games had CYAN developed them. As it is, he had nothing to do with the development of either. I'm not 100% sure whether he even considers them canon or not. *shrug*

Still, they're pretty excellent games. I just wouldn't recommend them to anyone who doesn't like dying. There's not much death in either of them, but they do both have 'wrong ending' death scenarios. The OP specifically asked for games that didn't have these.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:22 AM   #19

So little update - I bought Schizm 2 to see how I felt about non point and click games...yuck! I feel like I have motion sickness!
Old 05-22-2008, 09:10 PM   #20
Banned User

I'm getting that in the mail soon as well, do you find it hard so far?...

Codeguru

PS- What do you mean it's not point and click? Like it's an inventory game or something?