You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Sherlock Holmes Nemesis Opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2008, 06:13 AM   #1

Default Sherlock Holmes Nemesis Opinions

Hi, i'm a little surprised theres not more discussion about Sherlock Holmes series or Nemesis in particular. The game just came out last week in the US and naturally I picked it up the first day.

at first i was kind of worried that the style would be too light hearted compared to 'Awakened' however while not quite as dark its certainly not a comedy. I'm enjoying the historical sites and riddles very much so far and hope for a new sherlock holmes game!
Old 05-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #2

While it doesn't involve a murder mystery like the last two games Nemesis is a great game involving alot of good puzzles. There is a lot of detail in the sites you visit. I just finished it and loved the game.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #3

Hail Brittania!

I have mixed feeling about the game. I both liked and disliked the amount of real world math and history you had to go through. I thought it was cool that the game offered some real intellectual challenges, not just fetch quests and puzzle boxes but I thought some of them could have been better clued for those of us that didn't have British history in school... maybe I'm just lazy though.

Whatever reservations I may have about the game, the Tower of London set will remain in my mind as one of the most impressive game environments I've ever had the pleasure to explore. I haven't been to the real Tower of London, but it was incredibly detailed and lifelike, even when I was stuck I enjoyed ust running aorund and poking into all the nooks and crannies.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:04 AM   #4

I kinda have a tooth against full 3D adventure games (my specs are somewhat gray and old ), but I liked the undertaking of bringing two great personalities face-to-face (although, I wasn't so familiar with Arsene Lupin).
While I did enjoy the game pretty much, me being a Holmes fan, I think it could have been a lot better. The London streets seemed like those in 28 Days Later (deserted, you know?), the voice acting felt too "I just read the script and I don't care too much for what I have to say" and the ending felt too politically correct. On the other hand, I liked visiting the National Gallery and the British Museum.
IMHO, Nemesis is better than Awakened.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:09 AM   #5

Many people were lyrical about the game at another game site. I thought that Lupin/Nemesis was much less than the Awakened (with its big harbor area and varied puzzles to be solved there for instance).
Lupin is - overall - horrible linear, and I felt locked-up in those places with all those uninteresting puzzles (e.g. all those painting puzzles at the start .. "let's throw in another puzzle with paintings"). And the story is so (deliberately) predictable as Lupin will steal valuable objects at various locations. I stopped playing after getting again some weenies ("gamers are stupid") in the British Museum, I think.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:43 AM   #6
MaStER of DaRkNeSs

The game's not out in the UK yet (30th May), but I enjoyed the demo a lot. I have not played the Awakened Sherlock Holmes game, in fact the only other Holmes game I've played is an old one called "mystery of the mummy" which was going for about £3 in a supermarket! lol

But yeah, I'll be picking up the game when it comes out in the UK (I'll be pre-ordering very soon), I thought the demo was great, very nice use of real life history, looks to have a good storyline and puzzles, and to top it off it has pretty impressive graphics.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
Schättenjager

Imo Awakened was way too much exciting,this time wandering in London
museum after museum(closed to public of course) found too flat and stopped playing.(coz maybe i did that already at real life)Anyway art historians may enjoy it immensely.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #8

The thing that really bothered me about Nemesis (or should I say SH vs AS?) is that the developers didn't learn anything at all from the mistakes of the past Sherlock 3D adventure. Specs problems, stiff voice acting, limited areas, linearity, deserted places, few dialogues, I think I should even mention few inventory items, not enough Sherlock insight etc etc. I simply loved the Silver Earring with its twisted and complex plot, so the latest 2 SH games disappointed me greatly.
So, they made Sherlock go toe-to-toe with Cthulhu and Arsene Lupin. I reckon Jack the Ripper will be next, right, fellas?
Old 05-11-2008, 02:26 PM   #9

I tried SH: the Awakened.

I play FPS all the time and lots of other FP games without a problem. Somehow however, the Awakened made me sick.

Physically sick!

I played it for maybe an hour and had to turn it off 'cos I felt all dizzy and my stomach was going haywire. It's really strange, because I have been playing FPS since Wolf 3D and never experienced this before. Maybe it has do do with the camera slowing down a little before it stops when you rotate it? Can I turn that 'feature' off somehow?

So... I was really intrigued by the game but physically couldn't play it! How sad is that?