You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Is "Syberia" any good???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2008, 08:42 AM   #21

Actually thought I was the only one not liking Syberia.
I don't mind that things move slowly; the problem for me was the complete lack of control of... well, everything.

Funny how people experience the same game so differently, because some of you mention the puzzles, while I remember the first Syberia game (didn't play the second) as totally puzzlefree.

When I clicked on some piece of machinery, Kate said something like "Oh yeah, this is supposed to go there...", and she fixed it. All I could do was watch.

Not really a spoiler, but to be on the safe side:
Spoiler:
The pick of it was the non-puzzle with the coloured cards in the beginning of the game.
I was all set to work out the coloring scheme, and then ...

Anyway, don't want to discourage anyone trying this one. Most gamers seem to like it .
And on a positive note: I loved Amerzone, so I'll check Paradise once it's in the bargain bin.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:29 PM   #22

It's all about the atmosphere. Some people love it and find it intriguing and mysterious, others just find it boring. I happen to love it.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
I only liked the first one, for the story and how the puzzles are integrated into it.

The second one has terrible puzzle design, harder than necessary and definately not fun. Also, too often trial and error.
There's barely any story in there anymore anyway.

I like the ending of the first one. It concludes the main plot line, but leaves some things open for interpretation.

I could say more, definately, but it would take so long........
I completely agree. The first game ended the story perfectly. I thought the second game was unnecessary, and the ending was predictable and boring.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:21 AM   #24

I loved the first part. The story of an inner journey combined with a physical one, the culture clash between the shiny NY lawyer and the peaceful, age old village and its people. Add to this the overall atmosphere of sadness, the unstoppable passage of time and memories of the glorious past. Mix it with wonderful graphics, touching music and medium-difficulty puzzles, and you'll get an almost perfect game on all levels. I loved the open ending ,and would have been happy all the same if it was left this way (i.e. no Syberia II).

It does have it's flaws, though. There were many places I wanted to explore but was unable to. The music was a bit repetitive. There were too many autumatons, some of them used to complicate even the most routine tasks. One thing that was somewhat illogical to me, and I mentioned it in an earlier thread, is that Kate almost never changes her clothes as the game progresses. But this is a minor quibble.

Syberia II, on the other hand, had an overall feeling of more-of-the-same. The story seemed to be streched a little too far (both plot-wise and logically), the moody atmosphere was gone but not succesfuly replaced by a sense of adventure. Towards the end I didn't care much about graphics, story or anything - just wanted to get this thing over with. The music was nothing more than an ordinary soundtrack, and added almost nothing to the gameplay. The graphics, on the other hand, were much better than in the first part, and much attention was paid to tiny details, like kate's reflection in puddles or the falling snowflakes.

All in all, the two games complete each other and I'm happy to have played both. Part II, though, could not recreate the wonderful gaming experience I had with its predecessor.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #25

Default Melancholy

Well, the ending of Syberia II
Spoiler:
kinda remembered me of the ending of Amerzone, you know? You, standing there, stranded... Just standing, with some kind of a sweet smile on your lips. You have reached the end of the journey. Some would say that your life is now meaningless...
Old 05-02-2008, 06:22 AM   #26

It is amazing how differently people can experience a game.

To me Syberia is one of my finest moment in gaming ever. This game is one of 2 games in history that has had me shed a tear while playing, Syberia made it twice. I simply love the topic, I actualy find it very philosophical, and I consider it to be the single most important game ever when it comes to content. It is actually a game about why we play games at all.

I think the characters are just lovely, both Hans and Oscar are some of my all time favourite characters. The art is just beautiful and combined with the lovely soundtrack I was deeply immersed in the lore of the Voralbergs.

So for me this is a 10/10-game. It should have been one game instead of 2 though. As a split game, I am afraid I can only give 10/10 and 8/10.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:04 AM   #27

Send a message via ICQ to bingusdreggs Send a message via MSN to bingusdreggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by weemies View Post
I completely agree. The first game ended the story perfectly.
I didn't think it was fully finished. I mean its called Syberia..
Spoiler:
so you'd think at some point she'd turn up there!

If you merged both games into one - that would have been awesome. Sure, there wasn't much stuff to click on / interact with... but it was a moving experience. There was something about it that kinda felt quite sad and depressing.

And Kate was a bit of a hottie too
Old 05-04-2008, 01:20 AM   #28

Default Syberia

I really enjoyed playing syberia I thought it was a wonderful adventure game in every way. I loves the scenes and the puzzles.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:49 AM   #29
Backsliding Pagan

I think that I've said this before, but in my POV, the central problem with Syberia 2 is that it relies heavily on the relationship between Hans and Kate, and since the player doesn't really see that relationship develop, all we're given is a fractious old man ordering around a young woman who supposedly found a backbone at the end of the first game by defying the people who previously ordered her around (her boss, her fiance, her mother). Don't misunderstand me; I enjoyed both games, but I enjoyed the second game considerably less than the first.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:03 AM   #30
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Both games were fun and quite interesting, but the ways in which the gameworld was so fantastical, yet with heavy nods to reality, somehow pulled me out of the experience. Some of the least believeble things were the amazing "Alice in Wonderland" medicines and automatons at every step deep in the North Siberia.

Last edited by Ascovel; 05-06-2008 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Winderland typo
Old 05-06-2008, 01:15 AM   #31

A few years ago, I wanted to go back into adventures games. After hearing so many praises about them, I bought both Syberia games in one pack.

I regret it.

They are pretty (nothing spectacular), the goal of Kate's researches is appealing but I got bored very quickly. There is almost nothing to interact with. Forget the many spot points, interactions and dialogues of LucasArt or Sierra games. The only interactive points are the objets you need to pick up, the objects you need to use them with and the few characters you have to talk to. And that's it. No description of the environnement, no red-herring/jokes/ambiances spot points.

Beside that, I didn't found any puzzles really interesting and the dialogue is quite dull.

I don't know why this game was so praised. Maybe it was a dry season for adventures games back then.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:39 AM   #32

Quote:
No description of the environnement
... I strongly think that the lack of sappy monologues about how the wind plays in the trees' leaves or about how the sun rises in the chirping of birds was more than enough made up for by the gorgeous graphics.. almost wallpaper worthy.
You are more than right, nevertheless, about the other points... the game's linearity is poignant, the lack of interaction and the absolute absence of side-plots (or red herrings) was sharply present.
But... it's still a pretty melancholical game which I like very much.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:00 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKnight View Post
... I strongly think that the lack of sappy monologues about how the wind plays in the trees' leaves or about how the sun rises in the chirping of birds was more than enough made up for by the gorgeous graphics.. almost wallpaper worthy.
The fact is.. I wasn't touched by the graphics. Pretty ? Yes. Breathtaking ? No really. Not for me, at least.

I think, even if I was touched by the graphics, I still would have wanted a little more : Seeing how the main character reacted to the environnement is perhaps as important as my own reaction. Perhaps this lack of reaction was a "suspension of disbelief" killer for me.

It's a shame because I liked several ideas of the game and I wanted to like it.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:22 AM   #34
Chocolate addict

I became immersed in Syberia, not just the game but with friendships that developed through the official forum for this game. So both these games have a priviledged place in my affections.

Trying to be unbiased however I must say I loved the graphics, the artistry of the settings and the atmosphere. I felt the same about the second Syberia too.

The storyline however dissatisfied me despite the great characterisation of the characters, Momo irritated me and the final ending drove me nuts.

But I'd recommend these games. The puzzles fit in nicely and make sense and there isn't too much conversation but there is a lot of walking about.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:30 PM   #35
merely human

I have mixed feelings about Syberia. Really, it's a handsome looking game and certainly respectful to the 'arbitrary' tradition of the modern adventure game. The underlying philosophy of the story is a powerful one and the pace of this story unfolding is in keeping with the introspective weather of this philosophy. Kate is a strong example of the inward hero and if you ever had some kind of deep struggle in your life then you will click with the narrative theme.

As a game and interactive experience, however, it's disappointing here and there. Like I stated, it's certainly respectful to the 'arbitrary' tradition of the modern adventure game. Too respectful, unfortunately. Not only does it convene to the typical conceptual illogic of the puzzles in relation to the world those puzzles exist in, but it dogs you, the player, with the awareness that you're simply doing puzzle after puzzle with a little story in between. It just doesn't flow, it is inorganic that way.

The interactivity is extremely stingy. There is nothing to do in the game world except to gather items for the next puzzle. That's it. You (as Kate) are rarely ever allowed to explore, touch various things to maybe deepen your experience in the world, or think out loud about your situation. If Benoit Sokal's idea of creating melancholy and a haunting resonance echoing from past human stories meant depriving us, the players, of sensing it all through interacting with things other than puzzle items, then he succeeded. I did feel melancholic and haunted, but I also felt clinical and cold.

If anyone is interested, I wrote a long essay about what I got from the game's story (full of spoilers, do not read if you have yet to play the game):

Life And Death On Rails: The Symbolisms Of Syberia
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-08-2008, 03:58 AM   #36

Lovely article! I relived the whole game in 20 minutes now.

There is only one thing I miss, you do not speak much about how the game presents toys and games as something very valuable and important in humans lives. Toys are in this game a vehicle for persuing dreams, as I also think games are in my life. Hans has this affection to toys, and I think that is what made him such a fantastic personality compared to his pragmatic and rather cold surroundings. I love the way the game speaks about naivity and innocence, it presenst the strange person Hans as the master of dreams. It is like this personality cary some kind of wisdom that is only for the few, a wisdom that Kate is not even close to the first rainy night when she arrives in Valadilene.

By your article you reminded me why this is my favourite adventure game of all times, it gives me a something deep, not only a beautifully designed puzzle. It is not just an adventure, it even revealed sides of myself that I was not fully aware of. It is like a great book that changes your perception of yourself. It is just lovely, I wish more games could be made with this ambition, to make an actual impact on peoples life in addition to just being another kind of entertainment.

Thanks for your article!
Old 05-11-2008, 05:25 PM   #37
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzlefuzz View Post
Lovely article! I relived the whole game in 20 minutes now.
Thanks.

Quote:
There is only one thing I miss, you do not speak much about how the game presents toys and games as something very valuable and important in humans lives. Toys are in this game a vehicle for persuing dreams, as I also think games are in my life. Hans has this affection to toys, and I think that is what made him such a fantastic personality compared to his pragmatic and rather cold surroundings. I love the way the game speaks about naivity and innocence, it presenst the strange person Hans as the master of dreams. It is like this personality cary some kind of wisdom that is only for the few, a wisdom that Kate is not even close to the first rainy night when she arrives in Valadilene.
The idea of toys as well as naivety and innocence are only a few of many things to write about. My focus was exclusively on the symbols of life and death and how they reinforce one central theme of the story, that of rebirth and letting go of emotional and spiritual obstacles.

If you decide to write about the toy idea I'd love to read it.

Quote:
By your article you reminded me why this is my favourite adventure game of all times, it gives me a something deep, not only a beautifully designed puzzle. It is not just an adventure, it even revealed sides of myself that I was not fully aware of. It is like a great book that changes your perception of yourself. It is just lovely, I wish more games could be made with this ambition, to make an actual impact on peoples life in addition to just being another kind of entertainment.
There are definitely certain games out there today - not just adventure games, but many other kinds - that move beyond the superficial and work with themes involving ideas, philosophies, and concepts not popularly associated with video games. Look around, you'll find titles like Bioshock (Objectivism), Deus Ex (conflicting political philosophies), Mass Effect (humanist values vs. technological advancement), and the latest one, surprisingly, Grand Theft Auto IV (relationships, survival, moral dilemma).

Quote:
Thanks for your article!
And thank you for this discussion.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-11-2008, 08:20 PM   #38
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

I fell asleep playing Syberia.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:21 PM   #39
merely human

L.a.w.l.!!
Old 05-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #40

I generally prefer 3D games, but I loved Syberia - both 1 and 2, though I liked the part 1 a bit better than part 2. I did love the ending of part 2. Anyway, it felt like one game to me, broken into two parts.

What I liked about it was how it looked (the visuals), the mood, the characters, the story, the music and the cut scenes. I thought the puzzles were OK - though some were too hard for me - I'm a puzzle wimp.

I don't think that puzzles were really their thing. If they could have figured out something else for us to do in the game, something that moved the story along, but wasn't reflex driven, I think they would have done that.