You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure My faith in adventure games is somewhat restored

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2008, 12:17 PM   #1

Default My faith in adventure games is somewhat restored

it seems we do a lot of bashing around here of current adventure games and i'm just as guilty as the next person for saying almost everything on the market pales in comparison to those old classics we hold near and dear.

however, i just finished playing Jack Keane (which was the first game i'd downloaded from gamersgate, a site i know love) and thought it was excellent. it's by far the best adventure game i've played in a long while.

it reminded me of those classics i miss, like king's quest, monkey island and grim fandango and i just had to say it's a relief to find a fun, lengthy game with pretty good puzzles and an enjoyable, well done story. i just thought i'd share in case anyone out there needing a little adventure game pick-me-up.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
Freeware Co-ordinator

It's always good to share a positive gaming experience. It can seem that there's nothing out there any of us like anymore. Good to know that isn't true.

Fixed your title by the way.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 04-22-2008, 02:08 PM   #3
Maker of Other Worlds

Send a message via MSN to alkis21

I've heard so many things about Jack Keane, I feel like I just have to play it. I will get it as soon as I finish the last Simon the Sorcerer.

Where will I find the time to create games?
Old 04-24-2008, 10:58 AM   #4

I could sure use a pick-me-up. I'm currently finishing up Destination: Treasure Island, which has been ok, but just ok, and the Jack Keane game looks much more lively. Anyone else noticing all the pirate-theme games around lately? These two plus So Blonde, at least a couple other Treasure Island-based games on the horizon, names escape me at the moment. I'd really like to find a game that gave me even a semblance of the enjoyment I got from the Monkey Island games, so this is encouraging.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to kathrynrose Send a message via Yahoo to kathrynrose

I thought Jack Keane was okay. It was a game that took a long time to play. However, it felt rather like to me Ankh goes pirate.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:11 PM   #6
Seth Balmore

I have never played Jack Keane, I know I should have a playable-demo of it somewhere...

I really like the art-style. Even though it's in 3D it still has strong comic/cartoony feel to it Ã* la MI3; and, after watching this Review it really caught my interest now; it looks and sounds quite promising I must admit! I have the magazine I just never bothered watching the review that they included on the DVD until now that is; better late then never I guess.

With that said, thanks fruithead for mentioning the game, it made me 'look it up' again. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmajik View Post
I could sure use a pick-me-up. I'm currently finishing up Destination: Treasure Island, which has been ok, but just ok, and the Jack Keane game looks much more lively. Anyone else noticing all the pirate-theme games around lately? These two plus So Blonde, at least a couple other Treasure Island-based games on the horizon, names escape me at the moment. I'd really like to find a game that gave me even a semblance of the enjoyment I got from the Monkey Island games, so this is encouraging.
Or much better yet...One day soon, I'd really like to find Monkey Island 5 !!!
Old 04-27-2008, 12:22 PM   #7

i'm actually not much of a fan of cartoon-ish games but i thought jack keane had such bright, attractive animation i forgot about the cartoon elements, sort of how i felt with grim fandango. it was just a good throwback to some classic games.

i mean i'm all for innovation in gaming but sometimes traditional helps to rekindle the love of adventure games. i haven't played ankh but i can definitely see some physical similarities, though i have heard a lot of negative reviews on it, especially with regards to glitches.

but if anything i think jack keane has given me a new outlook on cartoon-ish games. now i'm really looking forward to a vampyre story and the abbey.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:37 PM   #8

I really didn't like Jack Keane or Ankh.

I recently finished Tunguska. Now that was an amazing game, especially with the extended ending.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:27 PM   #9

Just played the demo. I wasn't expecting too much out of it but I ended up really liking it. Gonna order it now.

http://www.fileplanet.com/184463/180000/fileinfo/Jack-Keane-English-Demo
Old 05-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #10

I haven't gotten very far, but so far I'm liking it. The graphics are gorgeous, the puzzles I've come across thus far have been interesting and sensible. The voice acting is a little off at times, but I don't mind it. The actor doing the voice for the English-speaking release reminds me of Bruce Campbell. I'm looking forward to seeing how the game unfolds as I go on. It's off to a promising start!
Old 05-03-2008, 07:39 AM   #11

I have to admit, in hindsight, even though it wasn't that well written, Ankh really made me happy. I didn't enjoy the dialog, that was far from funny from the best of times, but the locations and characters were interesting enough that I enjoyed exploring the game. Not even some of the supposed classics have given me that.

If Jack Keane is even as good as Ankh (downloading the demo now) then I'll be happy.