Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Group Full Throttle Playthrough - Now underway! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/22362-group-full-throttle-playthrough-now-underway.html)

arrr_matey 04-15-2008 08:09 AM

Group Full Throttle Playthrough - Now underway!

A bunch of people are starting a playthrough of Full Throttle this weekend. Join us if you like...

We'll be playing and posting our impressions on the way through.

One suggestion for our first stopping point is a cutscene that happens after Ben successfully rides away from the bar at the beginning on his bike.

See this thread to see who's in and how we chose Full Throttle

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...ad.php?t=22234

Thom_ 04-15-2008 01:50 PM

Way!

Wow, I've had this game for a while but never even finished it. This sounds exciting, count me in if possible?

:)

Erwin_Br 04-15-2008 02:44 PM

I finished this one a dozen times! It will never bore me.

--Erwin

autowil 04-16-2008 03:40 AM

We will discuss the Full Throttle Playthrough here and the other one discuss which game for the next Playthrough

inm8#2 04-16-2008 09:45 AM

Rats, I just played through Full Throttle about 6 weeks ago.

skeeter_93 04-19-2008 08:18 PM

Does anyone have the purple case rereleased edition instead of the original? I started mine today for the playthrough and it quits after the limo cutscene. Is anyone else having this problem?

*Edit* I just copied the disc to my hard drive and ran it through scumm instead...all fixed!

DustyShinigami 04-20-2008 03:23 AM

F***, the bike fights are annoying. Talk about frustrating. :frusty: I can't seem to get passed it at the moment so i can't get to the stopping point. ;(

EDIT: Whew, done it.

stepurhan 04-20-2008 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alucard (Post 466434)
F***, the bike fights are annoying.

Bike fights plural? There should only be one fight to get to the initial stopping point. To clarify, the point I suggested aiming for is when Ben has an accident (due to a problem with his bike) It sounds like you may have gone further than that.

The normal practice in previous playthroughs has been to set a stopping point (as already described) and have everyone play to that point and then post their thoughts on that section of the game. To allow everyone time to achieve that we then give it a few days until the next section is played.

If everyone is agreeable I would suggest that we start the next section on Wednesday 23 April and that we make that section acquiring the parts to fix Ben's bike. This gives a meatier chunk of game with a nice variety of puzzles in it.

Just searched out my copy and will play through the first section when I've finished up a few things here.

DustyShinigami 04-20-2008 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stepurhan (Post 466438)
Bike fights plural? There should only be one fight to get to the initial stopping point. To clarify, the point I suggested aiming for is when Ben has an accident (due to a problem with his bike) It sounds like you may have gone further than that.

Yeah, the first bike fight was the one i was referring to. That one annoys me the most whenever i play it. I should've been more clear. i can't quite remember how annoying the others are though but i think they still might've annoyed me a bit in the past. I've saved at the beginning of Maureen's garage and left it.

Lucien21 04-20-2008 05:17 AM

*Gruff Voice*

When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me,(sees an enemy biker in view)... but they try.

I always did like Full throttle although it has it's weak points (which we will get too).

Ahem..

It has a great intro with some cool music, I still get the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when Ben goes over the limo and the music kicks in.

The voice acting is spotless from the gruff Ben to the smarmy Ripburger and his 2 goons I felt they all fit the characters to a T.

So we have a lenghty intro sequence, a chance to play around with the interface and a beginner bike fight. Kinda sums up the whole game in the 5 minute intro.

The interface is similar to the coin from MI3 in that a mini icon driven menu come up when you left click on a hot spot (red box round cross hair identifies hotspots). The menu system can be seen during the intro as a tattoo on the arm of one of the polecats. It's pretty intuitive, just select the part of the amatomy you want to use, eyes to look, feet to kick etc etc.

Not a lot to do in the initial stage. Get out of the dumster, and get the keys to your bike.

For fun try doing odd things to some of the hotspots "I'm not putting my lips on that" or try kicking the piano.

Once the first puzzle is sorted get ready for the first annoying part. The Bike Fight. These fights are dreadful, right click to change weapon, left click to use weapon and move mouse left and right to move bike. Object of the initial fight is to get in close and rapidily left click and hope that he falls first. NAFF.

Once vanquished another cutscence to end section 1.

So far so good.

skeeter_93 04-20-2008 05:23 AM

I had trouble with the bike fight, but eventually got it. I like the graphics, and the opening tune was very cool. It seems fun so far, I can't wait to play on!

Fien 04-20-2008 05:50 AM

It's great to play Full Throttle again! ;)

I haven't forgotten the story, but Ben's comments are like new and I'm severely stuck on one of the puzzles. (Okay, so I didn't stop after the bike fight... that first part is real short.)

stepurhan 04-20-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucien21 (Post 466442)
It has a great intro with some cool music, I still get the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when Ben goes over the limo and the music kicks in.

The opening title track is "Legacy" by The Gone Jackals. I liked their music so much I went out and bought the album. Bone to Pick I think their music fits the game well.

Quote:

The interface is similar to the coin from MI3 in that a mini icon driven menu come up when you left click on a hot spot (red box round cross hair identifies hotspots). The menu system can be seen during the intro as a tattoo on the arm of one of the polecats. It's pretty intuitive, just select the part of the amatomy you want to use, eyes to look, feet to kick etc etc.
I think this is the first usage of the interface in this style. (MI3 was later) I like the animation when you select the various actions (the bloodshot eyes being a particular favourite) and the burning noise from the flames is a nice touch.

I love the long cinematic to this, especially with the theme. It's the attention to detail that gets me every time. The moving material on Ben's clothes. The flickering reflections in the bike's metalwork. All these little touches serve to create the illusion of movement. Also, characters blink. It's such a small thing but with little details like that being dealt with you have more confidence in the bigger picture.

We get a nice broad background setup here with a lot of the major characters benig introduced. You get a feeling for who's who and what parts they are playing. No prizes for guessing who the villain of the piece is.

The bike fights can be an annoyance. I must be honest that I've never found this one a problem (just move over and pound the left mouse button for all you're worth) but the later ones are trickier. There are some tricks to beating most of them which don't require fighting game reflexes but we can cover that later.

You've got to admit that Ripburger isn't lying (slight spoiler. Leave until after the 3rd section if you're playing for the first time)

Spoiler:
He most definitely is not WAITING for Malcolm Corley to die.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fienepien (Post 466450)
(Okay, so I didn't stop after the bike fight... that first part is real short.)

There's no rule saying you can't play ahead as much as you want to. Just try to avoid speaking about the later parts until we all get to them. :)

autowil 04-20-2008 06:29 PM

Play the first part, and yah the fighting part is pretty annoying.. Now at the 2nd part where accquire the parts.. So which is the stopping point so i can play first and wait for u all.. Maybe after playing Limbo of the lost..

Playing Limbo realize the inventory interfaces similar to Full throttle as both have the interface where u can click to interact, pick up or etc the item when click..

Anyway back to Full Throttle, find the graphics so cartoonish and really make me wana play Sam and Max and the Day of Tentacle.. Really miss the old school Lucasart games..

cwapitm 04-20-2008 06:50 PM

When I first started playing this I was struck by how cinematic it was. I knew I was in for a treat once I started.:D Also, the soundtrack by Gone Jackals is top notch.

I never had a problem with the bike fight. I'm not quite sure what others find so hard about it?

D.C. 04-20-2008 07:02 PM

I should say first up for full disclosure that I've played Full Throttle before, so I won't speculate on story points and where I think they're going, etc. Already this game is pretty damn immersive, pulling me into the world again from the moment the opening sequence starts. The world and characters are so well realized. Although we don't know the specifics of the setting yet (such as time, location, etc.) it's already dripping with post-apocalyptic-like atmosphere. (The best kind. ;)) In reality I know next to nothing (and really don't care) about bike gangs, but already I feel attached to the Polecats and Ben's mission. Ben's a man of few words which is refreshing for an adventure game, but when he does speak he usually says something incredibly cool, incredibly funny or both. He's a very likable guy.

After Grim Fandango I definitely think this is one of LucasArts most cinematic games. All the production values are there from an excellent soundtrack, beautiful stylized art, a freakin' awesome script and some pretty great voice acting. I love how the bar man tells Ben that "They were going to kill you and make it look like an accident." Ben dismisses it until the plan actually happens a few moments later. I like the seamless interface too and how it's designed to look like the Polecat tattoo. (The kicking option has got to be one of the most awesome actions ever. From kicking the piano to kicking the dumpster. Good times had by all. ;)) I find myself clicking on all the options just to hear Ben's responses -- definitely a sign of awesome writing. The attention to detail is great.

I sort of like the bike fights, but I prefer the future ones. (Which I'll talk about when we reach them.) Ben's a biker and the fact that he's got rivalries and foes on the open road definitely adds to the atmosphere. There's nothing wrong with a little combat. We're not far into the story right now, but they've done an incredible job setting the scene and putting all the characters into place. (From the backstory behind Corley Motors to the various agendas of the characters.) There's already a feeling of definite trouble a brewin' and I can't wait to play more.

stepurhan 04-21-2008 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autowil (Post 466506)
Play the first part, and yah the fighting part is pretty annoying.. Now at the 2nd part where accquire the parts.. So which is the stopping point so i can play first and wait for u all.. Maybe after playing Limbo of the lost..

As I said earlier, I think the entire section where you acquire the parts for the bike should be the next part. Since you can acquire the parts in any order there isn't really another point everyone can be sure of reaching before all the parts are collected.

CoyoteAG 04-21-2008 12:04 PM

Just played the first part...very short but I understand why we are stopping there. I decided to wait until Wednesday to move forward so I can keep pace with everyone.

I love the beginning and the music adds so much to the game.

I was taking my time and looking at everything to make it last a little longer. My favorite line so far from looking at one of the pictures on the walls of the Kick Stand (love the name of the bar, by the way!):

"Is this your pit bull?"
"No, it's my baby picture" :D

I can't wait until Wednesday to continue the adventure!

fajerkaos 04-21-2008 04:47 PM

I had almost forgotten, what a awesome game Full Throttle really is. I mean, what a great way to start a game!
The intro really gives you the perfect feel for the game and the universe it takes place in.

Don't have anything interesting to add, but I'll definitely play along. Maybe this time I can finally finish it. :P

Nelza 04-22-2008 04:39 AM

I think everyone's covered everything I wanted to say. All I have to say is that I'm glad the first section was so short because it took me a long time to work out how to open the interface. :D

Looking forward to continuing tomorrow!