You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Group Full Throttle Playthrough - Now underway!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008, 12:15 PM   #41
Dreamfall Soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Spoiler:
Strange, throwing it into the yellow car worked for me.

Really? I tried it and the damn dog kept coming after me! Even when I did the exact same thing with the
Spoiler:
yellow car as I was supposed to do with the purple car. I kept wondering how the dog was able to jump out from there and then jump back in when I got back to the crane!
Old 04-24-2008, 07:10 PM   #42
UnseenUniversity Graduate

I had to look for hints for the dog....

Spoiler:
I did lift the car up in the air first, but obviously not high enough because he still got out. So I spent ages piling cars on top of his, making his car into a sandwich tower between other cars, and even trying to block his car in the middle with lots of cars around it on all sides.

The other thing I had to look for hints for was the gas. I agree, a hot spot would have helped greatly...
Spoiler:
I just assumed there wasn't anything over there.

All in all, a lot of fun. I love the music, and Ben's running is so funny! I'm up for starting the next part on Saturday!
Old 04-24-2008, 11:07 PM   #43

Sorry for being a little late... I was a few days late because of my exams and the holiday, and I didn't realize you guys would be so quick through the game

I'm still amazed by how beautiful this game is. I don't think there's any other hand-drawn game that's so cinematic. Anyone care to correct me? Is there any other game with so much hand-drawn cut-scenes? I mean, almost anything you click on brings out a short beautiful cut-scene of something happening.

I remember back when I played this, I thought this would surely be Lucasarts new standard for how games would look, which is part of why I was very disappointed with Monkey Island 3 (which looked okay, but had very few cut-scenes which aren't just made with the regular sprites of the game)

Actually, I think the only game that ever matched this one in cinematic style is Grim Fandango.

Anyway, regarding the gameplay, I was a bit annoyed with the dog scene. I forgot what I'm supposed to do here, and didn't pick up the meat at first, so I ended up spending about 20 minutes dragging cars around trying to drop them on the dog, or piling them up.

Other than that, the "puzzles" are good, especially in the sense that they do not take you away from the story and so they don't hurt the pace so much.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:45 AM   #44
Freeware Co-ordinator

Finally got on to playing the parts section.

Again, the attention to detail is good. Things like the hatchway outside Todd's trailer showing the flash of the welding torch at map level and not just when you're at the trailer itself.

I also loved that, if you kept on going back to the gas tower without solving it, the cops dialogue changed a little bit each time. Plus, you had the option to climb up the tower before the cops arrived, giving you an extra couple of bits of action when they caught you there (Ben wincing as bullets slam around him and then leaping off the ladder.)

Finally the closing cutscene (when Mo brings the bike down on the lift) has the rope catch fire when Ben fires up the rocket booster, and the rope burns through and falls down behind Mo after he's gone. Absolutely great.

I played a little further and there are a couple of small puzzles before the Old Mine Road section but probably not enough to warrant a separate section for them.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 04-25-2008, 10:42 PM   #45
Freeware Co-ordinator

It's Saturday here in the UK so I'm on the Old Mine Road section.

This section contains the bunch of bike fights which many people find annoying and difficult. I have a save with all the weapons but none of the other tasks in the section done. If anyone just can't win the earlier fights then drop me a PM with an e-mail address and I'll forward it on.

You can win most fights with any weapon and a bit of luck. Some fights need specific weapons and timing to win (they are more like puzzles in that way)

Here's how to get the best weapon (which will enable you to get the others relatively easily)

Spoiler:
Grab some fertiliser from the truck.

On the Old Mine Road keep escaping fights until you get a woman with red hair armed with a chainsaw.

While she's talking select the fertiliser and move in close.

The moment she stops talking throw the fertiliser in her eyes (harsh, but this is rough, tough biker fighting)

Miranda's last line when she gives Ben the fake ID is a classic.
Help me Ben, you're my only hope

Just to make the next stopping point clear, we're looking at the end of the cutscene when Ben successfully crosses Poyahoga Gorge.

Cold Topic

Old 04-26-2008, 02:54 AM   #46

I've just finished the Old Mine Road section of the playthrough:

I'm really enjoying Full Throttle's story. I haven't played another game with a story remotely like it. The game's so freakin' cinematic! Things have most definitely just gotten more complicated for Ben and the Polecats...

Spoiler:
...not only are they framed for Corley's murder, but Ben's got to track down Maureen and help out Miranda. The stakes have definitely risen! I loved the cutscene where Corley was killed and watching from the POV of Miranda's camera. I felt genuinely scared for her when she was caught. I liked Ben's escape through the police checkpoint. Also Corley's revelation about Mo certainly gives another perspective to the conversation she had with Ben back in the Melonweed section.

Ben: "This an authorized Corley service centre?"
Mo: "You could call this a Corley service centre... but I don't have the official paperwork."
Ben: "Ah, an illegitimate Corley operation!"
Mo: "I prefer to think of it as a renegade Corley operation."
Now that's pretty freakin' awesome!

The game's locations continue to impress. I keep mentioning the atmosphere and I'm about to again... (Feel free to ignore if you get the point already. ) The increasing sense of urgency towards the beginning of this section not to mention the sense of being in the middle of nowhere after reaching Uncle Pete's Mink Ranch and its surrounds is great! Full Throttle's world feels so well realized. The music and sound effects once again add to this.

I love the recurring jokes about Ben and anything that's not a bike. The laugh he gives when he kicks the henchmen's hovercraft not to mention his "I don't touch anything without wheels!" comment when you try to touch it continues to amuse. (Maybe it's just me.) I also like Ben's sense of pride when you look at his bike. ("Man, that's a good looking bike!") Ben continues to be awesome to the max!

Other random things I loved about this section:
Spoiler:
Talking to Father Torque and getting to know about the Polecats and the other bike gangs. Seeing the Kickstand at night. Watching Emmet get chased by the Cave Fish. (Not to mention them thinking that the spirit of Ricky Myren was trying to steal the ramp when Ben tried to take it! ) The whole puzzle structure around the bridge jump was great too and original. Very satisfying when Ben makes the jump!
I suppose this section wouldn't be complete if I didn't mention the bike fights. I really don't mind them. They can be frustrating at times, but they're basically just puzzles. Once you work out the right combinations it's all good.

As always, I can't wait to play on. Sorry for the rambing too.

Last edited by D.C.; 04-26-2008 at 04:49 AM.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:45 AM   #47
The Quiet One

That whole section was so cool. I'm definitely enjoying this game more second time around. I didn't find these bike fights difficult (it just seems to be that first one for some reason); once i had the chainsaw it was all pretty simple. I haven't been this excited playing an adventure game in ages.
Spoiler:
I loved setting that trap for Ripburger's henchmen and leading them straight to it.
That combined with the rock music and racing down the highway was really cinematic. Even though the puzzles in this game are pretty simple it really doesn't prevent me from enjoying it in the slightest. Everything else is really good. I found it funny when
Spoiler:
you have to scratch the lights away, with the ramp, in the Cavefish's hideout and they all fall over the edge.

Looking forward to the next section.

EDIT: This should have been mentioned earlier but one of the gas guard pilots, at the tower, was the same guy who voiced Sam in Sam & Max Hit the Road. It's not really surprising but i just thought i'd mention it. No wonder his voice sounded familiar to me.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour

Last edited by DustyShinigami; 04-26-2008 at 03:50 AM.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:16 PM   #48
Psychonaut

Ok Finally got time to catch up.... (Damn Financial Year end eating up all my time and making me work weekends...)

Parts Section.

Breezed through this fairly quickly mostly because I remembered how to do all the puzzles. Like Stephen says the attention to detail is what really stands out in most old Lucasarts games. The little hints like the lights of the lift when you know on the trailer door showing you that there is a secret room, the amuzing animations when Ben tries to get from the pulley to the door before it closes etc etc

The dialogue in this game is top notch to go along with the superb voice work. The variety of amusing comments on non relevant hot spots and the little animation touches in cutscenses are an endless delight. Corelys dying speech "Minivans......Did you hear me....MINIVANS"

By now you are also hooked by the story and the emotional scene when Corley buys the farm (wonderfully shown via the camera) really grabs you and draws you in.

All in all another classic then...........

Mine-road

*Sigh* I really hate that section. I understand the reasoning behind it, Bikers and their reputation for fighting, but it is just damn repetitive riding around that road (it's slightly hypnotic hitting the cateseys, Bu-dump, Bu-dump, bu-dump)

Now it is part puzzle, kind of Rock/Paper/Scissors type puzzle, but it is still annoying. Like someone says get the chainsaw first and the rest are easy.

So..beat up some bikers invade a cave hidehout to steal a ramp (cue funny crashscenes) and one Evil Kineevil impersonation later and it's off to Corley motors.

My favourite bit is coming up soon.....Poor bunnies
Old 04-26-2008, 12:19 PM   #49
Psychonaut

P.s Did anyone play the knife game.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #50

How's the knife game done again? I've heard of it, but didn't spend much time trying to do it.

Last edited by D.C.; 04-26-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:39 PM   #51

The Old Mine Road section of the game is probably without a doubt my favorite section of the whole game. I just love controlling the bike, knocking people off their bike, and this might be a spoiler for those who haven't got there yet so
Spoiler:
sending Ripburger's goons into a mess of fertilizer

and
Spoiler:
of course this game has a lot of references to Star Wars in it. "Help me Ben, you're my only hope!" and the Cave Fish look like Sand People.

Oh yeah, I did play the knife game, don't know how to beat it though.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:17 PM   #52
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
How's the knife game done again? I've heard of it, but didn't spend much time trying to do it.
You just keep asking him until he lets you do it.

Stabbing yourself in the fingers is fun
Old 04-26-2008, 11:07 PM   #53
Freeware Co-ordinator

Once you've got the hang of the bike fights you never seem to forget how to do them (like riding a bike? ). However they are still annoying for one simple reason.

There are two bike fights you have to win to progress to the next section. The Vulture and the Cave Fish. If you mess up on one of these then you have to cycle round a whole bunch of other fights until they come up again. This is especially annoying with the Cave Fish as it's easy to mess up. You bring your bike too close in and it usually goes over and most weapons don't achieve the necessary effect.

There still is some great moments in this section though, and the cutscenes are great.

I never realised you could play the knife game. I'm going to have to go back and bug Emmett now. Is it European or American rules?

Cold Topic

Old 04-26-2008, 11:49 PM   #54
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
There are two bike fights you have to win to progress to the next section. The Vulture and the Cave Fish. If you mess up on one of these then you have to cycle round a whole bunch of other fights until they come up again.
I remembered and dreaded the fights. Tried them, hated them, skipped the more difficult ones. (Shift +V)

Quote:
I never realised you could play the knife game. I'm going to have to go back and bug Emmett now. Is it European or American rules?
Ben will show you the American rules. His hand was one bloody mess when I was finished with him.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:58 AM   #55
The Quiet One

Dang, i don't have any saved data at that knife part. Does anyone have one they could give me? I didn't realize you could do the trick; i wanna try it.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 04-27-2008, 06:51 AM   #56
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Dang, i don't have any saved data at that knife part. Does anyone have one they could give me? I didn't realize you could do the trick; i wanna try it.

Here you go. Saved from within ScummVm
Attached Files
File Type: zip ft.zip (18.0 KB, 195 views)
Old 04-27-2008, 07:47 AM   #57
The Quiet One

Thanks Lucien, BUT... there's an unusual problem with it. I take it this save is supposed to be outside the Kick Stand just before talking to Emmett? I'm asking because whenever i try to talk to either Emmett or the bartender, it takes me straight to the junkyard where Ben's using the crane to deal with that dog.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:42 AM   #58
Psychonaut

Weird.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:00 AM   #59
The Quiet One

Thing is, in the game the save is called start2 - 'starting point 2' i presume. So maybe you gave me the wrong save by accident? Maybe that save is supposed to be at the junkyard from when you went through 'starting point 2'? Still strange how it loads up that section at the Kick Stand though and takes me straight back to the crane.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:50 AM   #60
Senior *female* member

I'm playing the Entertainment Pack release (XP etc. compatible, don't need scumm) and my Full Throttle doesn't even recognize Lucien's file as a savegame.