You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Group Full Throttle Playthrough - Now underway!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2008, 07:27 AM   #21

Count me in. I think the interface is cool (also took me a few mins to figure out) I think I got out of the dumpster by accident I like kicking lots of things. I just wailed away for the bike race, but I guess they get a little harder as you go along. Dunno why I never played this before, should have known Tim Shafer would put out a first rate game.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:25 AM   #22

Ace. Love the whole setting of the game, the futuristic meets Highway 66 road rebels. Excellent opening, hopefully this time I will be motivated to finish the game as I'll be appreciating it in small chunks.

The 3D animation brings back all sort of memories of 90's PC games, I love it too!
Old 04-22-2008, 04:16 PM   #23
QFG

I loved, loved, LOVED this game. I got it as part of a LucasArts multi-game pack my mom randomly picked up, without knowing better. Also came with The Dig, the first Jedi FPS (Dark Forces? I think?), and the Monkey Island 1 & 2 disc.

I don't know if I still have my Full Throttle disc handy, but will follow this playthrough avidly!
Old 04-22-2008, 08:34 PM   #24

Finally found some time to join in... luckily this first section was quick.

After spending so much time on my "to play" list, I'm really excited that we chose Full Throttle. I'm instantly struck by how amazing it is to be playing something that feels so original, at least in theme. It's kind of a sad state of affairs really that anything not involving space marines, dwarfs and elves, or evil cults is enough to make a game feel so different. And then there's Tim Schaefer, whose imagination reminds me of a lot of filmmakers I really like such as Tim Burton, Terry Gilliam and Jean-Pierre Jeunet...

Anyway, love the intro. Love kicking the dumpster. Love playing as an adventure hero who will actually intimidate people rather than always being a pussy...

Looking forward to more!!
Old 04-23-2008, 02:47 AM   #25
The Quiet One

Great, the second part today!

Talking about the first part, i really enjoy that intro just as much as everyone else. That's probably one of my favourite intros in an adventure game. Legacy by The Gone Jackels kicks ass and how the whole thing is set-up just like a movie.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 04-23-2008, 05:23 AM   #26

FULL THROTTLE PLAYTHROUGH - PART II - FINDING PARTS FOR THE BIKE
(Don't read if you're still playing through the first part.)

I loved Maureen's introduction with the gas mask and surreal music as Ben woke. She's another very cool, well realized character. Already there's chemistry between her and Ben and I really liked the banter between the two. (Particulary the stuff about Corley service centres. ) There weren't many characters to interact with here but the little conversation Ben took part in was great. I particularly liked talking with the reporter and Ben's reluctance to ask for a ride in her car. This game is pretty damn funny, but also a little dark -- a good combination.

Melonweed by night has a creepy and mysterious vibe. It was a lot of fun exploring the shadowy, desolate surrounds of the decaying town scowering for parts. One thing I noticed in this section was how great the sound design is. The ambient background noise (crickets chirping, dogs barking, etc.) with the mysterious music definately contributed to the town's freakin' great atmosphere.

I really liked the puzzles in this section too, not to mention the pacing of the story. Ben's got clear and simple objectives and there's no really unnecessary obstacles in his way. Everything he's doing has a point. I remember the solutions to most of the puzzles from the last time I played so only really got stuck once, forgetting the specifics of how to get the fuel. I impatiently resorted to a walkthrough and realized it was simple enough, I just hadn't explored the location enough. (A little hot spot would've been nice, though. ) There's some original puzzles here. I thought the way Ben ended up getting the fuel despite being at a fuel tower was awesome to the max!

I mentioned the attention to detail in this game in my previous post. Some of the small, seemingly throw away touches in this section really adds to the atmosphere. I love the smile Ben gives Maureen when he successfully returns with a part -- he's definitely proud of himself. The look of this game is great from the shadows and lighting of the locations Ben lurks around in to the animations of him running away at the fuel station. The animated sequences are always great! Although the graphics have dated a little, the style has definitely remained.

I stopped immediately after getting my bike back after finding the parts. Can't wait to play on!

Last edited by D.C.; 04-23-2008 at 05:48 AM.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:57 AM   #27
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

One of the Ben's opening lines really sum Maureen very well:

"Whenever I think of Maureen, I think of two things: asphalt ...and trouble."

I really loved Ray Conrad's voice, may he rest in peace.

Hope you, who are playing it for the first time, will enjoy it as much as so many of us have before you.

Happy playin' time.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:21 AM   #28

Well said DC, you saved me a lot of typing!

I had a couple of tricky moments with this section. I kind of had the idea that ben should try to hide from the searchlights at the gas tower, but I couldn't figure out how to do it until I looked at a walkthrough. That was the only part I needed help with, but a few other things I discovered purely by accident. The junkyard was the hardest part, I was trying everything on everything and laughed out loud when I discovered that the way to open the door was to
Spoiler:
lock it closed...
NATCH! And then the dog, Jeesh! I was throwing meat at everything and the darn dog STILL wouldn't leave me alone. The hot spot for the tower was so hard to find. I clicked on it by accident, figured out the controls and DID THE WRONG THING! Yes, instead of
Spoiler:
lifting the dog out of harms way, I dropped cars on top of it (I know, I probably wasn't hugged enough as a child.)
Then I had to go back to the tower and try again and even though I knew it was there, it still took me forever to find the stupid hot spot to get up into the tower.

I also liked the sound effects and the music is great, particularly in the trailer. I was disappointed to be whisked back to the garage so quickly after finding the torch, as I intended to hang around til the end of the song. I've never replayed an adventure game, no matter how much I like it the first time around, i never have any patience with it the second time. I could see playing this one again however, just for the great music and one liners.

Ben: "Not a people person?"
Mo: " I'm just better with toasters, that's all."

**EDIT** sorry about the spoilers, I thought it was open discussion for the completed parts.. I'll be good, promise!

Last edited by buddi; 04-23-2008 at 09:00 AM. Reason: spoiler tags inbound
Old 04-23-2008, 08:31 AM   #29
The Quiet One

I'm certainly enjoying this game more second time round. First time, i cheated throughout most of it... as always. Thing is, if i cheat on pretty much all the puzzles in a game, i'll just end up forgetting the solution to them next time round. Whereas, if i solve a game myself, the characters, locations, dialogue and especially the puzzles will stick in my head more.

As a result, there were a couple of puzzles i forgot about. The crane puzzle and getting the gasoline. As for
Spoiler:
hiding in the shadows
that suddenly came to me. Traces of my first time through were vaguely coming back. The crane one i solved eventually by just sitting back for a few seconds and thinking. I love it when i work out a puzzle it makes me feel smart lol. But i ended up doing the same thing as buddi with the cars.

When's the next starting point?
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 04-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #30

On this second section: First time I played it, it took me forever to figure out how to get past the dog. I kept getting chased by it, which is very irritating after that happened to you around 50 times. So, I had to resort to a walkthrough. This time around I knew just what to do.

Getting the gas was kind of tricky too. Overall it was a nice section of puzzles. Of course the music played at Todd's place gives some hint as to when the game takes place.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:13 PM   #31
Dreamfall Soon!

Just finished getting the bike parts.

I remembered most of the solutions but it still didn't detract from the game. I love the conversations and I love the solution to getting in the junkyard.

I only had one complaint. I pretty much remembered the solution of getting past the dog however:

Spoiler:
I threw the meat in the yellow car and NOT the purple car. It's annoying that it only works with the purple car. I seriously spent about 45 minutes on this before I finally went to a walkthrough and noted that it had to be the purple car. It would have been nice if they didn't let you through the meat in the yellow car if it can't be used to get the solution.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #32
Has a jaw of sweet teeth

I remember hating this part of the game, the first time I played it.
Luckily, most stuff I remember, I remember so well that they are forever burned into my memory, and I can therefor feel that I can enjoy them more this time.
The puzzle solutions are all really smart and logical, but the bad thing for me, was the feel that the game is always trying to hide something from you. (Kinda like when you're hunting for hotspots, but without any actual hotspots).
Spoiler:
The secret elevator in the trailer
Spoiler:
The fact that you can actually walk along to the right upside at the wall.

and
Spoiler:
The shadows you are supposed to hide in.

Maybe it's just me, but I think that all those things could have been made much easier by just setting out a few hotspots.
Perhaps too easy.

Everything else is great, music, sound effects, animations and dialogs.
"I don't collect art. ...And I don't collect whatever that is..." Classic

Last edited by fajerkaos; 04-23-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #33
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteAG View Post
Spoiler:
I threw the meat in the yellow car and NOT the purple car. It's annoying that it only works with the purple car. I seriously spent about 45 minutes on this before I finally went to a walkthrough and noted that it had to be the purple car. It would have been nice if they didn't let you through the meat in the yellow car if it can't be used to get the solution.
Spoiler:
Strange, throwing it into the yellow car worked for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fajerkaos View Post
Spoiler:
The secret elevator in the trailer
Spoiler:
The fact that you can actually walk along to the right upside at the wall.

and
Spoiler:
The shadows you are supposed to hide in.
I didn't even know you could access those areas either the first time i played. They were the main parts i had to use a walkthrough on.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:27 PM   #34
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooFX View Post
One of the Ben's opening lines really sum Maureen very well:

"Whenever I think of Maureen, I think of two things: asphalt ...and trouble."

I really loved Ray Conrad's voice, may he rest in peace.
Ray Conrad's voice is superb. Ben is a great character and his lines are always in character. One of my favorite short but eloquent oneliners in this part of the game: when you put Ben's fist on the window of the trailer and he simply says: "Bars."
Old 04-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #35

I love that too! Straight to the point. I love Maureen's voice and personality as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddi View Post
NATCH! And then the dog, Jeesh! I was throwing meat at everything and the darn dog STILL wouldn't leave me alone. The hot spot for the tower was so hard to find. I clicked on it by accident, figured out the controls and DID THE WRONG THING! Yes, instead of
Spoiler:
lifting the dog out of harms way, I dropped cars on top of it (I know, I probably wasn't hugged enough as a child.)
I remember the first time I played the game I did something similar. Partly due to the fact that I...
Spoiler:
...didn't find the meat in the fridge, cause Ben was concealing it most of the time with his hulking frame. Talk about confined spaces. So I tried to solve the puzzle without it and get the dog while it went from car-to-car.

I didn't realize the whole spoiler space thing in this thread, either.

Last edited by D.C.; 04-24-2008 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:14 AM   #36
I could stop anytime

Yay, really enjoying this so far and managed get the bike sorted without a walkthrough. It's my first time playing through, but have tried to start it many times before without getting much beyond the first section.

I am playing it half on a PC and half on my PocketPC through ScrummVM, although the PC is better for getting the full atmosphere of the game.

Thanks for getting me to have another crack at this classic.

Where is the next Stopping Point, and if it doesn't spoil things too much can someone give us a rough idea of how many stopping points they expect there to be?

Last edited by Not Addicted; 04-24-2008 at 03:20 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:40 AM   #37
Freeware Co-ordinator

I think that probably we want to do the Old Mine Road sequence (with all the bike fights) as the next section. As I recall this is the next major section of the game but I'm not in a position to check right at the moment.

After that I see two more major sections being

Spoiler:
Getting into Corley motors

and
Spoiler:
End game on truck and closing credits

But if anyone else thinks we need more split points then I'm happy to go with that.

I was also thinking Saturday 26 April as being the next discussion point (the Old Mine Road sequence) but that depends on whether everyone else wants to move along already.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 04-24-2008, 05:58 AM   #38

That sounds good, stepurhan. I'm happy to wait it out for others to catch up too.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:35 AM   #39
Freeware Co-ordinator

I must confess that pushing the next part back to Saturday is partly for my own benefit. I haven't had time to play the current section yet.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 04-24-2008, 11:23 AM   #40

Hey, hopping in late. Just finished the parts-gathering-part.

This is my first time playing, and dang, it's awesome. I'm having such fun, although I am having to re-orient my thinking a little. I have to remind myself that I am playing a six-foot-something badass burly gang leading BIKER DUDE, and thus have options that would not be available to me in other games.

In another adventure game, when faced with a locked door, you talk to the owl who tells you to talk to the elf who won't talk to you unless you find his fiddle and then if you ask nicely he'll trade you some cheese for the key.

In Full Throttle, you KICK THE DAMN DOOR DOWN.

It is... really, really refreshing, actually. And slightly giddy-making. I'm pretty petite; I don't get to intimidate and muscle my way through problems much. It's FUN. But I'm still thinking and puzzling, which I like.

Had to walkthrough my way into the junkyard, but once in, I figured things out myself, which I'm proud of. Although I did start with the same solution Buddi did,

Spoiler:
Dropping a car on the dog. Actually hit 'im, too, "YIPE!". But poochie dug his way out, so I gave up on that after one drop. When I thought about it, he was UNDER the scrap heap when we first came in, so made sense that he could gnaw his way out from under a car.

I still have that post-apoc country western song from the trailer stuck in my head. "The population is greatly decreased..." Snrrk. Ya know, at one point I'd totally forgotten there was a sci-fi element? I got a hell of a jolt when I saw my first hovercar.

Voice acting is awesome. I was so excited watching the credits. They got some pretty big name voice actors. I squealed when I saw Steve Blum's name. Ohmigod ohmigod, Spike Spiegel's in this game! I can hardly wait to find out who he plays.

See you at the next stop point!