You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Should I buy a Nintendo DS? Best AG for it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #1

Default Should I buy a Nintendo DS? Best AG for it?

It seems to me there are a lot of adventure games for the DS, should I buy one? And what are the good games, that Professor Layton game looks interesting...
Old 04-14-2008, 07:17 PM   #2

There's an enormous thread about DS adventures, but since it's so huge and indiscriminate, it might be worthwhile to have another thread for good ones, specifically

The Phoenix Wright/Ace Attorney series is worthwhile. Some may argue that it's overhyped by now, but most AG fans seem to enjoy it. I recommend starting with the first one and working your way through the whole series.

I find Trace Memory/Another Code and Hotel Dusk to be somewhat obnoxious and underwhelming in their presentation, but both are pretty solid adventure games that use the DS in clever ways.

Professor Layton is fun, and the puzzles are great, but the puzzles are so distinct from the story that it doesn't feel like much of an adventure game.

I haven't played the Touch Detective series, but most reviews seem to place it around Meh+. Better than nothing, but check out the others first
Old 04-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #3

I bought a DS not long ago, and I really enjoy it!

In my opinion the Ace Attorney games are pure genious, and I also really liked Hotel Dusk (I didn't like Trace Memory so much). You should know that the adventure games for the DS are very linear, and quite text-rich, so they are not for everyone.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
Treasure Hunter

I've only played Hotel Dusk, but I loved it.

Playing: ...
Next up: Syberia 2, Full Throttle, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Old 04-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #5

Hotel Dusk is a very shallow and simple game. However it has a great story and I loved the artwork. For 30 bucks I found it quite worthwhile.

As for purchasing a DS itself, I can't say that its completely worth it for just the adventure games alone.

While I love AGs in general, when I use my DS, its for either New Super Mario or Tetris. Great for pickup n' play, then close and put down.

While I would love it, I am not expecting any Dreamfall like games on the DS.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:39 AM   #6

One selling point for me was that the DS can play Game Boy Advance games, and I knew that the original Broken Sword was ported to the GBA. I'm also hoping for a North American release of Undercover: Dual Motives.

Plus, there is supposed to be a way to run the SCUMM Virtual Machine on the DS, but I haven't really looked into it too much.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:35 PM   #7
fov
Rattenmonster

My favorite of the DS adventures has probably been Trace Memory. Hotel Dusk was okay but I liked the atmosphere and storyline of Trace Memory better.

The Phoenix Wright games are fun, but they're also pretty repetitive. It doesn't really matter which one you get but don't run out and buy them all until you've had a chance to play one and make sure you like it.

Touch Detective is okay for killing time. If you see them marked down, I think they're worth trying, but they're very average by adventure game standards.

I'm playing Professor Layton now. It's fun, but very much a puzzle game. It reminds me more of a brain training game than an adventure.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by XerxesLetifer View Post

Plus, there is supposed to be a way to run the SCUMM Virtual Machine on the DS, but I haven't really looked into it too much.
Yeah, you can go to any local Wal-Mart and pick up a media card for the DS and just drop the DS version of SCUMM + the games onto the card. It's easy and you don't have to go around hacking it like you do with the PSP.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
Seth Balmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeJackrabbit View Post
I've only played Hotel Dusk, but I loved it.
I found Hotel Dusk to be a very enjoyable experience. Also, Kyle Hyde is so classy/cool; Louis is still my fav though.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
My favorite of the DS adventures has probably been Trace Memory. Hotel Dusk was okay but I liked the atmosphere and storyline of Trace Memory better.
I second this. Trace Memory really stuck with me and I hope to replay it sometime. I liked following the story in Hotel Dusk but I got toward the end with the timed part and petered out.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:58 PM   #11
King Silly

It's tempting to buy DS, knowing it can run Scumm program games.

Anyone know if it could run smaller PC games, let's say for example indie adventure games created with AGS? Any module for that? Would be lovely to play all kinds of adventures on handheld.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #12
Seth Balmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaelS View Post
It's tempting to buy DS, knowing it can run Scumm program games.
Ditto.
Well actually I already have a DS Lite; two in fact. I bought a second one so that I could use it as my little "test product" so to speak. Check out this video. It's so cool! I have yet to try it out myself though, but from what I've been reading so far, the whole thing should be easy actually.

The mouse would still be the best way to play them, but using the stylus works great too, as you can see in the video.