You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Phoenix Wright Spin-Off Features WALKING

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 04:59 AM   #1

Default Phoenix Wright Spin-Off Features WALKING

*Sorry if this as already been posted*

http://kotaku.com/377663/phoenix-wri...atures-walking

Perfect Prosecutor, which is a spin off of the Phoenix Wright series and features the great characters of Miles Edgeworth and Detective Gumshoe will apparently feature walking, which should add something to the series. Looks great from the Pictures!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:46 AM   #2

Wow, cool!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
Irritant F0rum Beasty

From the screenshots it looks like what they're doing is crossing Phoenix Wright with our traditional 3rd person point & click adventures, which, if that's the case, it should turn out to be amazing. Plus an entire game based around that classic Edgworth - Gumshoe double act is sure to guarantee endless hilarity.

In any case it's always just great to hear there's another new DS adventure game in the pipeline.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 04-09-2008, 11:41 AM   #4

I can't wait for the game. I wonder if this is being developed in conjunction with another Apollo Justice game?
Old 04-09-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Banned User

Would've preferred a Tex Murphy 3d environment than point and click (since Phoenix Wright is primarily a detective game). Why? Because a first person perspective is a lot more realistic and gives you more of a feel that your investigating, and not pointing and poking around.

BUT THAT'S JUST ME!
Old 04-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
A Servicable Villain

This is superb news! Who knows if it'll be able to be as cool, intuitive and fun to play as the Ace Attorney series, but who cares? It's set in the Phoenix Wright universe, so I want it! Perfect Prosecutor! /puts on my Godot cosplay
Old 05-24-2008, 01:38 AM   #7
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

It's going to be quite a different kind of game compared to the Attourney series, which is good.

The series needs some new fresh stuff inserted.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:57 AM   #8
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Did a bit of digging a found there's actually a teaser trailer floating around...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdYs8...eature=related

Doesn't really show anything new but does provide the first few glimpses of the game in motion.

Don't suppose anyone’s good at translating Japanese?

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 05-24-2008, 04:41 AM   #9
The Ultimate Insult

....Sweeeet.

Currently playing; CSI Deadly Intent, Tales Of Monkey Island Ep 1
Recently finished;Secret Files Puritas Cordis, Prof Layton and Pandora's Box
Eagerly anticipating;Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe new world, Nearly Departed
Old 05-24-2008, 07:46 AM   #10
Red Bicycle Brake Unit

Found a subbed version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aJ_8yQrGNw
Old 05-24-2008, 05:02 PM   #11

How is walking around helpful?? Now there's just someone on the screen blocking my view of the scene. I really don't see how this will make any difference.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:02 PM   #12
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
How is walking around helpful?? Now there's just someone on the screen blocking my view of the scene. I really don't see how this will make any difference.
It does make a difference. It makes it worse.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
No one has played the game! How could you possibly know that.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:11 AM   #14
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovis
-How is walking around helpful?? Now there's just someone on the screen blocking my view of the scene. I really don't see how this will make any difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
Right, because the 3rd person perspective and adventure games just don't go together...

Old 05-25-2008, 09:50 AM   #15
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
No one has played the game! How could you possibly know that.
They used their imaginations.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seed View Post
Right, because the 3rd person perspective and adventure games just don't go together...
Ya, and ever since computers have had the power to render a 3d world, 3rd person is becoming a bit old. Seriously though, the games worked perfectly in first person. How will walking around make a difference? Because it looks more like a traditional (read old) AG? I wouldn't go so far as to say it makes it worse, but it doesn't really seem to make better. They should not waste time programming 3rd person walking around, and focus on the story, puzzles, and new ways to interact with evidence.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #17
Red Bicycle Brake Unit

On the one hand I can see where you're coming from. The change in perspective will almost certainly change the feel of the game, probably to being more like a classic adventure game. And while there's nothing wrong with that per se, it's cause for some uneasiness when the current formula has worked so well thus far.
I think I get what they're trying to do, though. Consider this: Phoenix always shines in court, but during the investigation sequences he's pretty routine and mostly a voice of reason to counter the sillyness and absurdity besetting him at all sides. He's the normal guy the player identifies with. For that, the first-person view where we never see him is perfectly suited.
However! What they're going for in the upcoming game is quite different. For starters, it is much more about Edgeworth personally (see the subbed trailer dealing extensively with his personal journey). Moreover, there's much more emphasis on the investigation over the court part. I think we can expect a bit less general insanity and a lot of focus on Edgeworth's style, opinions, and philosophical ruminations. Third person mode is a lot more appropriate for that take. I only hope there will still be enough close-up views (only seeing him in that small size would be seriously uncool) and general drama.
Summarizing: the Phoenix Wright series is known as "Turnabout Trial" in japanese. The new game actually has "Prosecutor" in the title. That's your difference right there. One is about general absurdity in court, the other about the person.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #18
Irritant F0rum Beasty

In case anyone's interested, it seems Capcom has recently put up a flash demo of their upcoming Perfect Prosecutor game...

link: http://www.capcom.co.jp/gyakutenkenji/trial/index.html

Unsurprisingly it's in it's native Japanese (I don't think a western release has even been officially confirmed yet) so unless you have a decent grasp of the language you probably won't get too far in terms of solving it, but it least gives some slight idea of how the new game will play.

What's most apparent is that you don't actually control Edgy by pointing directly to where you want him to go on the screen, but rather by moving the stylus over a sort of virtual d-pad on the bottom screen. Although examining things close up, like the body, is just done the some the way as in the previous Ace Attorney games, in a first person view pointing the stylus at parts you want to examine. The Evidence and character screens are just the same as before, and there seems to be a new screen that, from what I can gather, appears to involve matching pieces of evidence to the scene or something along those lines. Anyway I get quite a nice impression from what I little I've played of it, it seems at the same time fresh and yet familiar, definitely looking forward to playing it when the English version is finally release (assuming there is one).

By the way some people may notice that the scene featured in the demo is the same as Edgy's office from the first Phoenix Wright game, complete with that infamous 'King of Prosecutors' trophy. Here's hoping the Blue Badger will also make an appearance, after all it was Detective Gumshoe's baby.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:39 AM   #19

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

OK. I'm officially intrigued. I tried the demo, and I just got to the walking part: there, since I didn't understand a single thing, I quit. Really interesting; maybe less polished graphic-wise, but really interesting
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 03-04-2009, 08:49 AM   #20
Red Bicycle Brake Unit

There a fairly decent translation here.
All in all this looks very promising, though two things bother me. The way the investigation segment gets announced (and dis-announced when over) feels too overtly gamey to me, disrupting the narrative flow. Also, the plot feels a lot like something Phoenix Wright would find himself in; I was expecting a different kind of perspective for a prosecutor.