You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 10:30 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlotta von uberwald View Post
As it seems most AG's are over 16. So I wish they'd make more age appropriate games that's why I loved Still Life & The Longest Journey I didn't feel like a kid playing them I'm fed up of cutsie cartoon style AG I'm not 4 lol
Not being funny right, but most AGs of the last 10 years have been dark, mature games aimed at adults. On the contrary, I'm fed up of those games. That's why I'm looking forward to So Blonde and Whispered World.

Also, why is it that cutsie cartoon style automatically brings about images of being a child? When you're grown up, do you really have to spend your whole life surrounded by darkenss, violence and pessimism? Also, have you not seen Happy Tree Friends? Or played 'Duckman'?
Old 06-26-2008, 09:29 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
why is it that cutsie cartoon style automatically brings about images of being a child? When you're grown up, do you really have to spend your whole life surrounded by darkenss, violence and pessimism? Also, have you not seen Happy Tree Friends? Or played 'Duckman'?
That is a little bit of a narrow view. It is not either or. Games do not need to be either "cutesy cartoon style" or "dark, violent and pessimistic". They can be dramatic without being dark. They can be humorous and entertaining without being cutesy.

About the cutesy cartoon adventures being for kids, that is the usual style for kids' adventures. Easy to come to that conclusion considering this, no matter how far off the mark that conclusion is. While I am not a fan of the cartoon art style for adventure games, they can be OK.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #143

Default How old are you?

66. judithd
Old 02-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #144

im 31 playing since 12 i think. started with maniac mansion on my cousing Commodore 64. i have a few friends with same interest in adventure and logical oriented games but not the same passion.
i didn't think there were many adventure gamers in Argentina until i saw that "GROG XD" joke on Monkey Island last installment and heard some random people talking about it.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #145

I'm 26. I've been playing adventure games since I was about six years old. My first game was Maniac Mansion on the NES, then Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders and Hero's Quest (Quest for Glory I) on the PC the same year. I liked them because they were good games -- not like anything I'd played before. I realized I loved adventure games about a year or so later when I played The Secret of Monkey Island, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Loom.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:18 AM   #146

I'm a male and I've just turned 30. I've grew up with ZX Spectrum and Commodore. At that time I've played mostly "action" games and tried some adventure games like "Maniac Mansion". But I got hooked to adventure games much later, when I've got my first PC as a graduate in high school, in 1997. Then I've played "Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror" and "Tomb Raider II: The Dagger of Xian". The rest is history.

I always find time for a good game (adventure or some other genre), despite the fact that I have many other interests and activities (playing and composing music, photography, web and graphic design -- I've finished law school but I don't work in the field). My family and close friends were always supportive toward my "gaming passion", but generally, here in Croatia, most people don't have idea what the computer games are all about. Many of them are under impression that the grown-ups who are playing computer games are immature and like Peter Pan (what's wrong with that BTW). However, that don't stop them to hang out all day on the Internet themselves...

I always thought that enjoying a good computer game is allmost like reading a good book, watching a great movie or listening to great music. Unfortunately, most people tend to stigmatize people who are playing games, which is sad, because it's purely due their ignorance. Luckily, that trend will probably change someday, like rock 'n roll music is nowdays widely accepted, while back in the 50's, it aroused mixed feelings among the general audience.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 02-08-2010, 07:25 AM   #147
Random

I'm 20, male.

The first adventure game I've played was Hell Cab back in 95, I never finished it, actually. Adventure games don't used to turn me on but, about 5 years ago, I was addicted to those "escape from the room" games, it was the awakening my interest in adventures. In 2006 I played Monkey Island(don't remember which one) for the first time and then I fell in love with the genre.

Despite my love for adventures, I enjoy playing all genres.

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.

Last edited by Denaron; 02-08-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #148
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

35 going on 15.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #149

Interesting thread, quite a bump a few posts back too. I'm 24, 25 in April. Started at some young age in the single digits with same old Police Quests and King's Quests and Space Quests (at first at other peoples places, wishing I had a PC).

I think it's great to see the age diversity here. In my narrow mindedness I just figured everyone to be from around 18 or so to 40 or so. Boy was I wrong! It's awesome

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 02-09-2010, 11:16 PM   #150

I'm 30, been playing since 13. My first computer games were the original "Prince of Persia", but my disk was corrupted so I never got the play the final level, and "Secret of Monkey Island". Played about half of the Sierra classics (never got into Space and King's Quest, but I've bought the collection of the latter) and all of LucasArts. I'd like to catch up with all the game's I've missed since 1999 or so. Last year I played "The Longest Journey" and "Dreamfall" for the first time. Been having a lot of fun with "Tales of Monkey Island", but not so much with "Sam & Max season 2" (don't really feel like season 1, I already got the first episode but there's just something unappealing about it all ...)

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 02-10-2010, 01:45 AM   #151

I'll be 23 next month on Saint Patrick's Day, and the first adventure game I remember playing is probably the Game Boy Color version of DĂ©jĂ* vu, when I was about 13 or 14. That was closely followed by Broken Sword on Game Boy Advance, although I owned neither of them and wasn't really sure what genre of game I was playing at the time.

It wasn't until a couple of years back when I bought Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon that my interest in adventure games grew and I started to go back and play the "classics". Before then, I was a big SEGA fan, having inherited a Master System from my Uncle at an early age. Sonic 4 life yo
Old 02-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #152

25. Got involved with Sierra adventures in the early 90s. Didn't play many other games, such as the Lucasarts titles.

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers blew me away in 1997, and from there I didn't look back.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 02-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #153
LA-S-LE

Wow, I really admire AGer's. I'm only 25 and I already feel tired of adventure games. Though I've played hundreds of them since Goblins & Kyrandia. Then again, I can never resist some good old retro as well as modern experiments.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type View Post
Wow, I really admire AGer's. I'm only 25 and I already feel tired of adventure games. Though I've played hundreds of them since Goblins & Kyrandia. Then again, I can never resist some good old retro as well as modern experiments.
Though at times I agree, I would say I feel a lot more tired of just about every other genre. Played a few first persons and RPG's when I was younger, can't bring myself to play more than 5 minutes of either now.

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 02-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #155
Senior Passer-by

Don't kid yourself, life starts in your fifties.
Charles Bukowski

I'm exactly half a century old on this very day. I'm (still) male. It took me a lot of time to buy a computer and it took me even more to find the kind of games I really would like to play - I first heard of the adventure games when I was almost forty - but I was in love with them before I even knew they existed. No, I'm not kidding, I always had that urge to solve puzzles and other problems, explore things, and always were an avid reader, yearning for great stories and adventures (my first favourite writers were Karl May and Jules Verne).

Monty Python's Flying Circus pushed me into a Wonderful World of Adventure Games: in 90's I read in a local popular culture magazine called XZ about a computer game featuring MPFC gang. The title was very provocative - Complete Waste of Time - and being a waster of time I am, I was instantly hooked. Since those were the days without the Internet, and computer games (in my third world European country) were harder to find than dodo birds, it took me five years to grab this title.
Although it's not a classical adventure game (some people would argue it's not an AG at all), it totally mesmerized me - finding the way through the labyrinths, answering silly questions, finding solutions to wacky puzzles - that's it (I knew it)! After CWOT I bought "The Quest for the Holy Grail" and "Monty Python's The Meaning of Life" and kept on playing.

After some reading about AGs in computer game magazines (I even used to read PC Gamer - that shows how little I knew about the adventure genre), I dug out some classics (Sam and Max Hit the Road, Day of the Tentacle, Broken Sword series, Gabriel Knight series,...) and soon I got to know more about the games I loved. A mayor breakthrough in my learning about adventures was the discovery of the Home of the Underdogs, the wonderful online museum of old underrated games (and we all know well how sadly the whole adventure genre is underrated) where I first met the older and more obscure adventure games (like Morpheus, AMBER, U.F.O.s, Duckman,...).
Through the course of a decade I moved from a total noob (I believe that's the correct expression) to "a man who's slightly in the know" (whatever that means). Since February of 2000 (exactly ten years ago) I've played some eighty titles (many of them more than once), bought and found tens of them, read about hundreds of them. I still have a long way to go with this passion for the adventure games (if I manage to live a long life), but almost every single day I learn something new about my favorite pastime.

Now, I don't know a single real-life person that plays adventures (except my daughter who made her first steps in gaming by watching me playing the shiny colorful LucasArts adventures, and some gloomy scary ones like The Dark Eye too), but I know (via the Internet) a lot of people from my country and all over the world (even older than I am) who do play and love them. I don't know whether I'm an introvert or extrovert (feeling like both at some times), but I think that my love for the AGs has definitely something to do with my love for reading, watching good movies, exploring the extraordinary and generally being interested in things (What is this? Who are we? Where do we come from? When is the next payment?).
I do play other kinds of games occasionally (enjoyed playing action games/platformers also when I was younger, and I am playing WoW - not World of Warcraft but Wizard of Wor remake - even nowadays), but I get the most pleasure from AGs and only AGs.

And, yes, I would (hopefully) be someone's "weird grampa that (still!!!) plays the adventure games".

Old 02-13-2010, 02:23 AM   #156

• I'm 24y
  • Started with Sam & Max and Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis
  • Lucasarts adventures the ones I mostly played out of adventure games as a kid
  • Used to be a competitive FPS gamer, one of the top players in Nordic countries in several games
  • Wrote game reviews as an assistant to a local kids magazine during the equivalent of high school
  • Now write reviews and features and part of administration at the biggest Finnish console gaming community
  • Nowdays consider myself a casual gamer

Nowdays I don't have enough time to play that much, and I'm not that interested in all playing everything anymore either. When I was, I used to play pretty much everything, from Adventure to FPS to RPG to RTS to Platformer to Party games, both on PC and Consoles. I especially loved multiplayer games, Co-op and competitive. Jagged Alliance and Fallout are the games I loved the most, I guess. Atmosphere is extremely important in games, and those two titles had it in droves. Now, Heavy Rain is something that I feel like could push the atmosphere in games even further.

Last edited by Linque; 02-13-2010 at 02:32 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #157

Born in 81, am 20 now. Started playing around age 10 mostly with the known sierra and lucasarts titles. Earliest memories are larry 1 and hero's quest 1.

Of all genres i only got hooked to adventures and still remember a bunch of them, even remember more graphics of games i forgot the name of, and i certainly seen i played many more i forgot both graphic and names now im reading all kinds of sites about AG's.

I just finished day of the tentacle and beneath a blue steel sky and am going to install the neverhood. I am planning to get totally back into AG's as there are still many out there i haven't played. Seeing im 29 i still have time left to play many many more!

Happy to see the love for AG's is still shared.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:21 AM   #158
long live the dragons

Send a message via MSN to pointandcliklover

my birth cert says 22 but im really 6

started with simon the sorcerer and never looked back

Marise-Chiko
Old 02-23-2010, 02:51 AM   #159
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin8000 View Post
Born in 81, am 20 now.
That's interesting, I was born in '80 and am now nearly 30!

Kings Quest games got me into AG's and GK1 cemented me as an Adventure Gamer for life! I go through phases where I don't play adventures for a while but always end up coming back for more!
Old 02-23-2010, 04:17 AM   #160
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I turned 22 on Sunday.