You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Top 10 games from 2000 and beyond

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2008, 08:26 AM   #1

Default Top 10 games from 2000 and beyond

I know a lot of people talk about the golden age of adventure gaming (i.e. Lucasarts, Sierra games, etc...) I was wondering what were your top 10 adventure games from the year 2000 and beyond. In other words, what are the new ''classics''?
Old 03-29-2008, 08:58 AM   #2

It's good that someone finally asks the question. I've been wondering myself what games the adventure community rates highest in 2000's. Personally, for me only a number of classics are really really great. So it irks me a bit that every new adventure game gets compared to old classics as lesser games. A lot of classics aren't actually better than newer games. In many ways they are exactly on the same level. Some games from 2000's are better, some are worse. Some are, unfortunately, exactly the same.

Anyway, for me one candidate is definitely Syberia series. It definitely belongs in the top 10 greatest stories of adventure games. And I'd say that that the gameplay of Syberia series is better than 90% of 90's adventure games. Why? No frustrating puzzles. Whatever faults Syberia may have, are the faults that adventure games have had forever.

Broken Sword 3. I've yet to play Angel of Death and I didn't like the first two Broken Sword games. But I really liked BS3, it's a very well-done adventure game - fast-paced and simple. And despite being an adventure game, it feels actiony. Imo that's remarkable... making essentially a slow puzzle-based gameplay feel fast and furious. I'm exaggerating a bit, but it had a great pace for such a popcorn movie story. Secret Files on the other hand was too slow and boring for such a popcorn movie story.

Fahrenheit and Dreamfall. Because they are pretty, that's why.

And Sam and Max series. Because they are brilliantly short and fun. 3 hours is perfect for a comedy adventure.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #3
Caffein Queen

Hmm, this is really hard!
I'm trying to think of the newer games, I've enjoyed just as much as I did back in the golden days of adventure games.

But here goes in no particular order

Return to Mysterious Island
Jack Keane
Runaway: Dream of the Turtle
Dreamfall: Longest Journey
Secret Files: Tunguska
Wanted: A Wild Western Adventure
Ankh series
Blackwell series

There will be more once they get released I'm sure...

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 03-29-2008, 09:51 AM   #4

It's quite difficult to think about a post 2000 list. Here are some of the recent games I've quite enjoyed:

Bone series (Great Cow Race in particular)
The Longest Journey
Moment of Silence
Runaway 1 and 2
Sam & Max Telltale series (episodes 104 and 105 in particular)
Secret Files: Tunguska
Syberia 1 and 2
Old 03-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #5
Lazy Bee

Still Life is a favourite of mine as well as Syberia and Syberia II. Myst Revelation also belongs to my favourite games from 2000 and beyond.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:11 AM   #6

I've grown up with classic point and click games and loved them a lot, just recently I've got back in adventure gaming and am trying to play as much games as possible whether they be old or new, I try to keep a good balance. But some of the old games really seem dated, especially the graphics (I'm playing the Pandora Directive right now, and even though everything is awesome: the story, the concept, the characters, the 3-D environment just turns me off...) and other old games are just a pain to install (I'm thinking of Amber, Tex Murphy, Zork, etc...) I don't feel like spending 4 hours to install a game...

Anyway, I'm off topic, I don't think I've played enough new games to build a top 10 but these are the new games I'm enjoying right now:

The Lost Crown; just started, so far so good.
Still Life
Sam and Max: the length is just perfect, you feel like you accomplished something when you finish an episode (instead of giving up like I've done with so many games)

New games I didn't like:

Scratches : at first I liked it because of the atmosphere and how it was fuckin' scary but the puzzles really got hard and there wasn't enough clues, plus I really felt like puking sometimes because it gave me vertigo and I wasn't even hungover...

Runaway: I read somewhere in the forum that it was overated, I agree. Was it supposed to be funny? I didn't laugh once. And what's up with the characters, I hated them, was the main character suppose to be cool or something? If I met that guy in real life I wouldn't want to speak to him.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:23 AM   #7

I can't even think of a new game that I would put in the classic category.

Escape from Monkey Island came out in 2000, so maybe that one. There are a handful of games I've played and sort of enjoyed, but none that really qualify.

Scratches is pretty good.
Syberia? It's not bad.
Broken Sword 3 had some moments, but whenever I go to play it again, I just can't get into it.
The Longest Journey is up there.
Dreamfall was pretty to look at, but the gameplay, what there was of it beyond the combat and stealth, was very weak.
Moment of Silence? Too much time riding the elevator and that pointless animation of zooming up the street.
Still Life? The cake and the spiderbot disqualify this one.
Sam N Max maybe. I'm only halfway through episode 2, but so far I'm liking it.

The sad truth is these games get announced, I get interested and await their release. When they finally come out I start playing, and after a short time I'm disappointed, and by the time I'm done I think, "well, that was no Gabriel Knight..."

I set that as my benchmark.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
The Quiet One

These are the ones i've enjoyed the most from 2000 onwards (in no particular order):

Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon
The Longest Journey
Still Life
Syberia
Syberia II
The Moment of Silence
Sam & Max - Season One
Scratches
Escape from Monkey Island

Haven't played Dreamfall yet, but from what i've seen, played and heard, i reckon i'd add it to the list.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 03-30-2008, 02:13 AM   #9

Phoenix Wright 1-3 (and possibly 4 which I haven't played yet)

Needs to be on there.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post
Phoenix Wright 1-3 (and possibly 4 which I haven't played yet)

Needs to be on there.
I agree 100%! I am playing Phoenix Wright 3 right now, and this is probably one of the best adventure games ever.

I also enjoyed Hotel Dusk much more than most games that came out since 2000, but I need to really go over the list to see if it's in my top 10. Maybe I'll do it sometime later today.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:28 AM   #11

Here is the list I've compiled. I simply created the list of all adventure games I played that came out since 2000 - I could only think of 17 such games - sorted them, and here are the first 10:

Sam&Max: Season 2
Sam&Max: Season 1
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations
Escape From Monkey Island
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Phoenix Wright: Justice For All
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Bone: The Great Cow Race
Bone: Out From Boneville

However, I have a feeling I probably missed some really good games that came out these years (Specifically, I suspect I might like Broken Sword 3&4, Still Life and Scratches, but I haven't played those).
Old 03-30-2008, 09:16 AM   #12
LA-S-LE

*untill now*:
Escape from Monkey Island
Culpa Innata
Scratches
Simon the Sorcerer 3D
King's Quest 2 VGA
Darkfall
5 Days a Stranger
Magic Turn
Runaway 2
Voyage

+ Call of Cthulhu and Cave Story, two wonderful action/adventures
Old 03-30-2008, 09:36 AM   #13

I would say Dreamfall, the Sam & Max series, Escape from Monkey Island and Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy are the stand outs.

Last edited by D.C.; 03-31-2008 at 02:40 AM. Reason: The Longest Journey was '99.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #14

I really liked Sam and Max Season 1 (have not played season 2 yet), also Phoenix Wright 1-3 are some of my favorite games of all time (Apollo Justice is not as good an the other 3)
Old 03-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #15
Lazy Bee

I'd say The Longest Journey too if it wasn't for the fact that it's from 1999.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:46 AM   #16
Master of time and space

• Myst IV - Revelation
  • Black Mirror
  • Syberia 1 & 2
  • Runaway
  • Still Life

Are the only games released post 2000 that are worth mentioning of those I've played. Of these Myst IV and Black Mirror are the only ones I find really good. Because of that I've turned to other genres for my video gaming thrills as I find them superior today compared to the adventure game genre.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:20 PM   #17
3rd person fanatic :)

Top 10 (in random order..)

- Black Mirror
- Secret Files: Tunguska
- Runaway - A Road Adventure
- Runaway - Dream Of The Turtle
- Black Mirror
- Undercover: Operation Wintersun
- Gilbert Goodmate, And The Mushroom Of Phungoria
- Still Life
- Moment Of Silence
- Nibiru: Age Of Secrets
Old 03-30-2008, 05:40 PM   #18

Ican't think of 10 that stand out. It's been bad shape for the industry. I really like the KQ2 remake.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:25 PM   #19
Senior *female* member

Longest Journey (2000)
Stupid Invaders
Myst 3: Exile (2001)
Shadow of Memories
Dark Fall 1 (2004)
Myst IV
Return to Mysterious Island
Barrow Hill (2006)
Sam&Max Season 1/2 (2006-08)
Overclocked (2007, German release)

The three Rhem games are pretty good too, if you're into that kind of adventure. Which I am.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:12 AM   #20

I haven't played Syberia 1&2, or Fahrenheit, but I'd say these 10 are the best of the ones I've played. Sam & Max - Season 2 will probably be there somewhere as well when that is finished.

1) Dreamfall
2) Sam & Max - Season 1
3) Broken Sword 3
4) Escape from Monkey Island
5) Broken Sword 4
6) Secret Files: Tunguska (German version)
7) Nibiru
8) Bone - The great cowrace (haven't tried the first episode)
9) Ankh
10) Runaway 1