You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
Lurking Myst Missionary

Default Myst Movie

While the site itself has just become public recently (through a series of puzzles that the Myst community pounded through, go us!), the production blog has some *very* interesting tidbits... including a signed NDA from John Howe

What becomes clear is that this *isn't* some fly by night thing put together by a fan with big dreams, and no resources... this is very real.

Myst Movie
Old 03-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #2

A trailer should be released soon, from what Adrian had said.

Can't wait to see more.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
The Dude

What's this about John Howe? THE John Howe?
Old 03-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
Lurking Myst Missionary

Yes, THE John Howe. http://mystmovie.com/2005/03/
Old 03-07-2008, 11:35 PM   #5
tsa
Playing character

Cool! I'll watch this closely from now on. Thanks for the link!
Old 03-08-2008, 01:01 AM   #6
The Dude

This John Howe news is most awesome. I will be following this project under an even closer eye! On a side note, wouldn't it be fun if Brad Dourif got a cameo, just for the sake of it
Old 03-09-2008, 02:58 PM   #7
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

Wow, that would be awesome! I'm a huge Myst fan since I first discovered these games about two years ago. Kewl.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:25 PM   #8
Banned User

Woh! This is unbelievable news. if they Capture the look and feel of Myst, then apply Myst quality storytelling, then this for sure would be an awesome film.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:40 PM   #9
tsa
Playing character

I'm sorry to spoil the fun but I think the whole mystmovie website is a big scam. I searched for references to Patrick A. McIntire and the movies he is supposed to have made on Google and the Internet Movie database. Nothing. Not one thing that even was a hint of the existence of Mr. McIntire. None of the movies he allegedly made were found. There is this website, which points to the movie Pocket Guide To White Suburban Youth , but if that is an indication of the enormous potential of Mr. McIntire I'm not certain I would even want to see the movie. The same problem is there with the other guy, Adrian Vanderbosch. He allegedly made or played in a movie called The Eighth Wonder, in 2001. There are four films with that name according to IMDB, none of which made in 2001. Adrian Vanderbosch himself does not appear in Google and in the IMDB.

Furthermore, the Cyan icon on the home page links to a page within mystmovie.com about Cyan's involvement. I found two links to the Cyan website hidden in lots of text on the website.

And last but not least, there is no word about money. Cyan will not be able to pay for a full-length movie, even if it plays in Myst Online alone. So who is going to pay for it and do the marketing? I'm sorry but I believe the whole mystmovie.com website should be taken with an enourmous chunk of salt. I admire the work of the people who made it, but I don't believe one word of everything on the website until I have more proof.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:40 AM   #10
The Dude

It's your right to think so, but if that wasn't really a statement of Rand Miller this could be taken to court. Since the site is still up and we have seen no mention of Cyan that this statement is false, this project does get my hopes up and I intent to support it.

And if it's a scam, they sure did deliver
Old 03-10-2008, 05:37 AM   #11
tsa
Playing character

If that was a statement by Rand Miller, don't you think it would be in big letters in the News section on the Cyan website? If Rand Miller's name is used illegally on the mystmovie website it could be taken to court, but that takes time and Cyan will want to figure out how to do that before taking any action. So let's wait and see what happens.

And yes, as I also said, if it's a scam, they sure did deliver and I admire the people who made the website for that.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:57 AM   #12
I think with my heart

Funny, that the name John Howe is mentioned.

Reminds me - like some others here of the illustrator of the Lord of the Rings publications, who also worked on the films and currently lives here in Switzerland...

another hoax?

that envelope with no adresses. Those graphics on the Wikipedia site, that look lie out of the game (that page could have been written by anyone...) weird... But the stamps are Swiss stamps...I know those... the design chair on the right (halfway covered) is a famous series of sticker-stamps.

but who would put a picture of the contracts, and the adress of John Howie on the site? I can't read the adress though, but he lives in Greyerz/Gruyère I think....but the adress is

case postale (which means PO box) number
neuchâtel

well that city exists. and maybe John Howies agency is there. But no news at Cyan, nothing. I am sure fans are writing to cyan as we speak and they will respond

Last edited by Maruca; 03-10-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:23 AM   #13
tsa
Playing character

John Howe has a website here. But none of the other people mentioned on the mystmovie site have one, as I said before.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #14
Banned User

Eh, I should of done more research on this. As I recall there has been a couple of hoax adventure game films over the past couple of years.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:53 AM   #15
I think with my heart

no one is blaming you kadji-kun, nor the thread starter. We all want it to be true ... I wait for a response from Howe or Cyan.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:21 AM   #16
Treasure Hunter

Most likely they don't want to show total association right now with a project that could possibly fail.

Still, I think it's real. But that's just an opinion.

Playing: ...
Next up: Syberia 2, Full Throttle, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Old 04-07-2008, 09:49 PM   #17
Lurking Myst Missionary

There's been some lovely updates on the site, including the video proposal they originally sent to Cyan.

I can confirm that this is not a hoax, and that statement is from Rand Miller.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #18
tsa
Playing character

Sorry, but I still think it's very shady. The video you're talking about is to be found at http://mystmovie.com/2005/12/20/out-the-door/. So according to the URL it was posted in 2005? I still need more proof.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:45 PM   #19
Lurking Myst Missionary

First of all, if you look through the site, you'll see they've backdated many of the entries, to give a glimpse into how the project has progressed, and how long they have been working on it. That the clip is dated in 2005 is not unusual. That's when they sent it to Cyan.

Secondly, it has been confirmed by Cyan to be real, both in this quote from Ryan Warzecha (MOUL Community Manager at Cyan)*:
Quote:
For years now Cyan has wanted to make a Myst Movie. Cyan is interested in every avenue that would lead to the production of a full length feature film. In order to get people interested in such a venture there needs to be some momentum behind it. Nothing has been Green-lit, but the folks at www.mystmovie.com hope to change that very soon and we at Cyan support them in this endeavor.
and through multiple peoples' (including my own) personal contact with folks at Cyan and Project Passage.

Thirdly, with the amount of publicity this is getting (not only on Myst fan sites, but on the official MOUL site, and some gaming news sites) you can be darn sure Rand, and Cyan would have stepped up and said something if these guys were claiming a connection and support they didn't have.

It is not a fake.

From *Uru Obsession, Jan 2, 2008
Old 04-08-2008, 02:38 AM   #20
tsa
Playing character

OK, I see that I was a bit too sceptical. But still, the movie is a long way off, if it ever comes into being. And there's still all the things I said before about the people involved and the money. I'm sorry, but I'm not getting my hopes up.