You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Dracula Origin (no hint requests please)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #41
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
The engine isnt just rendering the interface, but also the 3d characters.
Sure, and I didn't say otherwise. But just about every game now has 3D characters and any competent engine is capable of handling them. There's nothing distinctive about the way Frogwares characters are presented technically. (And that was the question I was answering.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiao.mao
Can anybody please tell me if you can die in this game or if there are any timed sequences or combat? I can't play games with those Too nervewracking.
No combat, no timed sequences, no game overs. You're safe.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #42
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Sure, and I didn't say otherwise. But just about every game now has 3D characters and any competent engine is capable of handling them. There's nothing distinctive about the way Frogwares characters are presented technically. (And that was the question I was answering.)
This is taking a guess so. I can tell that it uses the same engine based on ho the models are lit up and how they cast shadows. Wintermune doesn't render 3d models as beautifully and detail as it does in Origin. This say that it uses a higher normal mapping and per pixel lighting shader.

Again, its a guess, but I do think its the same engine based on the Lighting.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:13 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiao.mao View Post
Can anybody please tell me if you can die in this game or if there are any timed sequences or combat? I can't play games with those Too nervewracking.
No timed sequences, no combats. I don' t like them either.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #44
aye, aye!

I actually have the game but because of Van Helsings awful voice and the bad lines he spat out, I quit. But since so many of you seemed to love it, I might check into it again... Do you see a lot of Dracula in it? I find him more intriguing than Van Helsing x_x
Old 07-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #45
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I actually have the game but because of Van Helsings awful voice and the bad lines he spat out, I quit. But since so many of you seemed to love it, I might check into it again... Do you see a lot of Dracula in it? I find him more intriguing than Van Helsing x_x
Van Helsing's voice isn't bad? It sounds exactly like he would sound in real life, not some vampire slayer action hero which most films, stories, comics, graphic novels, portray him as. Considerably, he was an intelligent man, not some brute.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:33 AM   #46
aye, aye!

Quote:
Van Helsing's voice isn't bad? It sounds exactly like he would sound in real life, not some vampire slayer action hero which most films, stories, comics, graphic novels, portray him as. Considerably, he was an intelligent man, not some brute.
Well I suppose it's my own personal opinion-- but you don't need to sound like a total snob and as if you're about to fall asleep by every sentence you utter just by being an intelligent man. It sounded weird and not like brittish at all.
He reminded me of the doctor in Undercover: Operation Winter Sun which I couldn't stand either.
It's my own personal taste however, he probably don't sound like that to you.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:52 AM   #47
Hopeful skeptic

Van Helsing was voiced by different actors in the European and North American versions, so you may not be discussing the same voice.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:51 PM   #48
aye, aye!

Haha! Really? That's weird yet cool O: I wonder why they used different voiceactors o_O
Old 07-20-2008, 03:12 PM   #49
Banned User

Quote:
Well I suppose it's my own personal opinion-- but you don't need to sound like a total snob and as if you're about to fall asleep by every sentence you utter just by being an intelligent man. It sounded weird and not like brittish at all.
He reminded me of the doctor in Undercover: Operation Winter Sun which I couldn't stand either.
It's my own personal taste however, he probably don't sound like that to you.
I'm sorry, I don't understand how snobbish me post was.....it just isn't. Just stating a fact.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:31 PM   #50
Hopeful skeptic

He wasn't saying your post was snobbish. "You" was actually referring to Van Helsing (or any hypothetical voice actor).

By changing actors, I think they just wanted to tone down the accent a bit. It was pretty heavy in the Euro version, less so in the NA version. Both seemed pretty similar in quality, though, at least from what I heard. Mina was changed, too.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:02 PM   #51

Dracula Origin was such a great game (and a difficult one!).
Old 07-20-2008, 11:23 PM   #52
Banned User

Quote:
He wasn't saying your post was snobbish. "You" was actually referring to Van Helsing (or any hypothetical voice actor).

By changing actors, I think they just wanted to tone down the accent a bit. It was pretty heavy in the Euro version, less so in the NA version. Both seemed pretty similar in quality, though, at least from what I heard. Mina was changed, too.
Haha, wow, that totally flew over my head. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:09 AM   #53
aye, aye!

Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't understand how snobbish me post was.....it just isn't. Just stating a fact.
As Jackal said I wasn't referring to you-- so sorry if you thought I said you were snobbish. You really weren't!

Quote:

I'm a she, but yes! XD Ah, I see. I'm a voice-freak so I think I'll try to find the NA version just to see which version I'd preferr, haha. Kudos to frogwares to actually take the time/effort/money to change voiceactors in two english-speaking versions though, that's a bit unusual! O:
Old 07-21-2008, 01:17 AM   #54
Banned User

Quote:
I'm a she, but yes! XD Ah, I see. I'm a voice-freak so I think I'll try to find the NA version just to see which version I'd preferr, haha. Kudos to frogwares to actually take the time/effort/money to change voiceactors in two english-speaking versions though, that's a bit unusual! O:
Check out the new 'the Witcher' edition which redoes all the voice work, gameplay, and more just to better suit americans/english speakers (As in better translation, better writing, plus no censorship). Now that is even more hardcore. haha
Old 07-21-2008, 06:06 AM   #55
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
D'oh! Sorry about that.

It was actually The Adventure Company (NA publisher) that arranged the alternate voiceovers. They've been burned by bad voiceovers before, and this isn't the first time they've changed them, though I didn't really see much need here.

I'm pretty sure the demo has the new voices.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:48 AM   #56
aye, aye!

Quote:
Check out the new 'the Witcher' edition which redoes all the voice work, gameplay, and more just to better suit americans/english speakers (As in better translation, better writing, plus no censorship). :D Now that is even more hardcore. haha
Haha, cool! Too bad I'm a bit fed up with medieval/fantasy things at the moment... I'll definitely check up on it some time later though! :)

Quote:
D'oh! Sorry about that.

It was actually The Adventure Company (NA publisher) that arranged the alternate voiceovers. They've been burned by bad voiceovers before, and this isn't the first time they've changed them, though I didn't really see much need here.

I'm pretty sure the demo has the new voices.
Haha, no worries! :D Ooh, thanks! I'll look into it!
Old 08-09-2008, 08:25 AM   #57

I'd have a question regarding the different versions out there. Because I'm cheap, as well as low on money, I scouted the Internet for an offen as cheap as possible and found on on the US Amazon site. But with that version I also noticed that the game was packed in CD format (one or more, I don't know), while the on the UK Amazon was a DVD.

Now I'm wondering what exactly might be the practical differences between the two version and if it would be worth my money to go get the more expensive DVD. Or, alternatively, a digitaly distributed release.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:23 AM   #58
I think with my heart

I finished the game a couple of weeks ago, I liked the graphics, some of the puzzles and the many locations. But the dialogues I thought were quite wooden and I was a bit disappointed with the ending...

After I finished it I mused if I had liked the game or not and it's really difficult to say. For me the ending just killed a lot of the fun I had.

Thanks for the Infos on the voice-over, I didn't know. All I remember is that I looked Dracula and Van Helsings voice-actors up, they were both on IMDB.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:08 PM   #59
Roman5

I just finished it. Finished it over 2 days, shortest game I've played ( did check the W/T a few times) but it was quality with nice puzzles. Really reminded me of black mirror in some places, and the voice of van helsing and some of the things he said sounded like a character from black mirror. After finishing the game, I read the AG review which said pressing space reveals most of the hotspots. Didn't know that, lol! I think it's great that frogware is mixing up 1st person games ( sherlock holmes ) with 3rd person.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:34 PM   #60

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

This is one game I never finished & I don't regret it. May be if they had released it back in the days (early to mid 1990s) it would have been a "great game" but it was absolutely backwards for today's standards. It was too slow.

Sherlock Holmes must be really happy that something more boring then his games came out.