You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #1

Default Scratches

Really struggling here, i'm installed the game but it simply "drags" and it takes forever to change screen or move the mouse.

I have many games which have required higher system specs and never had probs, like Darkfall, Runaway, Syberia...

Help.....!!
Old 03-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
Codger

It's a known problem with no apparent solution other than to buy a graphics card that supports Open GL. There have been some suggested workarounds posted on the nucleosys.com site, along with many threads from irate customers. None of the workarounds worked for my system, and my system, except for the Open GL problem, far exceeded the game's requirements.

FWIW, the problem, as far as I know, only occurs with the Director's Cut version.

While the people at Nucleosys say that this is a widely-used graphics platform, this is the first time I've seen it in an adventure game. That doesn't mean that it hasn't been used, only that I've never seen it.

The requirements for an "Open GL-compatible video card" are there on the box. Unfortunately, I never saw the box, as I bought it from Amazon, and the specs were not published. Fortunately, I didn't pay too much for it.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:03 AM   #3

I had problems with Scratches too - the game crashed whenever it felt like crashing. The only solution I could come up with was to install the latest driver for my graphics card. And I set the compatibility mode to Windows 2000. After these adjustments, the game worked fine on my computer which exceeded the system requirements by far. This was the original Scratches, though. Good to know that the DC causes even more trouble; this is a good reason to avoid buying it. Not that I felt like doing so anyway... the original Scratches is enough
Old 03-04-2008, 11:38 AM   #4

I had i crash problem with the original Scratches at the very beginning of the game when i was trying to enter the house. Later i had a sound problem... Didn't actually heard the scratches... Download the patch... I heard it can solve these crash problems. Didn't try it my self because by the time i knew about it i already have finished the game...
Old 03-05-2008, 06:06 AM   #5

The patch didn't work for me, it only did one thing: The game wouldn't work at all, read: it didn't even start I fixed the crashes with an updated driver for my graphics card and, as I said before, by setting compatibility to Win2k. As for the sounds: I didn't hear the scratching noises either until the very end; never looked for a sound patch, now it's too late - finished the game and am not going to replay it for a while
Old 03-09-2008, 12:32 PM   #6
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

Hmmm, I just bought Scratches online recently. Haven't installed it or tried to play it yet. This thread should prove helpful if I have any issues with it.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 03-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
Old Adventure Gamer

I had to update my video card drivers, but once I did Scratches Director's Cut played perfectly on my laptop running Vista Home.

BTW, this is one that I really enjoyed and hopefully there will be more games like it in the future.

Thanks,

Tony.