You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Know any PS2 NOT fighting/shooting/racing etc. games?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #21

Okami is the best PS2 game in my opinion.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #22

I really like Okami, but I think it repeats itself too much to be considered 'the best'. Many attacks and enemies are similar and while I still haven't finished it the game seems to 'end' at least three times. Of course with all the collectibles it's an obsessive compulsive's dream (or nightmare) but I can't help think that a more tightly packed and focused game would have been stronger.

And by that I mean 25 hours instead of 50.

... still an awesome game though.

If I had to pick one single favourite it would have to be Shadow of the Colossus.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post
I really like Okami, but I think it repeats itself too much to be considered 'the best'. Many attacks and enemies are similar and while I still haven't finished it the game seems to 'end' at least three times. Of course with all the collectibles it's an obsessive compulsive's dream (or nightmare) but I can't help think that a more tightly packed and focused game would have been stronger.

And by that I mean 25 hours instead of 50.

... still an awesome game though.

If I had to pick one single favourite it would have to be Shadow of the Colossus.
I spent 66 hours on Okami and loved every minute of it. Shadow of the Colossus was also good... but some bosses can be frustrating and the world seems kind of dead (no enemies besides besides the 11 or 12 giants.) Oh yeah now that I come to think of it, God of War 1 & 2 are right up there as well... then again they're fighting games

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpage...00.asp?q=okami

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/924364.asp

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpage...god%20of%20war

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/932295.asp
Old 02-29-2008, 12:10 PM   #24
One for the road?

Never liked the God of War games. Always seemed like less elegant versions of the Devil May Cry series to me.

Very good games, no doubt, but a bit overblown. Especially the second one.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:14 PM   #25
Caffein Queen

Well, I've just plugged my new PS2 in and tried playing a simple game like Donald Duck Quack Quack Quack.

Sheesh, controlling a character is definitely something I need to practice.
I was all over the place - and mind you, not in the right place!
So fighting games are NOT an option for me, lol

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 02-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpingFish View Post
Always seemed like less elegant versions of the Devil May Cry series to me.
I agree. That's why I love God of War lol. Everquest is to World of Warcraft what Devil May Cry is to God of War.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:11 PM   #27

You might want to try Okage: Shadow King. It's a fun RPG with some great characters and great humor. It has fighting, but it's turn based, so shouldn't be a problem if you don't have quick reflexes. It might be a little hard to track down offline, but you should be able to get on Amazon or Ebay.

Here's some info on it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okage
Old 02-29-2008, 05:29 PM   #28
One for the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslilo View Post
Well, I've just plugged my new PS2 in and tried playing a simple game like Donald Duck Quack Quack Quack.

Sheesh, controlling a character is definitely something I need to practice.
I was all over the place - and mind you, not in the right place!
So fighting games are NOT an option for me, lol
Take heart in the fact that the PS2 controller's analog stick setup proves slippery to anyone who tries it for the first time. I find playing FPS games on the PS2 a nightmare of under/over-aiming.

You'll grow accustomed to it.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:21 AM   #29

Tastebud: Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I haven't been enjoying Okami... but I really do think that it has more content than it needs. There's no difference in function between any of the collectibles (treasures, fish, beads), several enemies... the infantry/flying/drummer/skulls pattern repeats often. And was it really necessary to
Spoiler:
defeat Orochi twice? The going back in time is an interesting plot-device but they could've changed up the gameplay a little.
Partly this is me just not having much time for sprawling epics anymore, but I really do believe that most if not all games would be better served by tending towards short but sweet. Which is not to say games should neglect leaving room to breathe - something Shadow of the Colossus balances expertly - but there's a difference between having nicely varied pacing and repeating yourself.

As gamers we tolerate, even accept repetition because the gameplay is fun, but that doesn't necessarily make it a good thing.

I agree btw that the PS2 controller, really any gamepad, is an acquired taste. Don't worry... you'll get used to it. Ico is a nice quiet game to practice on.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:33 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post
I spent 66 hours on Okami and loved every minute of it. Shadow of the Colossus was also good... but some bosses can be frustrating and the world seems kind of dead (no enemies besides besides the 11 or 12 giants.) Oh yeah now that I come to think of it, God of War 1 & 2 are right up there as well... then again they're fighting games
I own a sealed copy of Okami that I'm currently selling because the idea of dedicating 50 hours to a single game like this is just too daunting.

I have a low attention span see, so I rarely complete games like these before being destra--

As for the person who mentioned Shadow of the Colossus and Psychonauts, both are incredible games, but both have a strong emphasis on platforming and fighting.

If the original poster doesn't like those kinds of games with a passion, I wouldn't advise. But if he/ she is willing to take a plunge into action adventure games at any point, IMO these are the best of the best.

Both are unique, epic, but instead of dedicating 50+ hours, half of it seems meaningless, these provide a good 10-15 hours of gaming that's 100% satisfaction from start to finish.

With Psychonauts, I'd advise buying the PC version and grabbing a PC pad or PS2 pad converter. The PS2 game has some pretty awful frame issues.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:05 AM   #31
Confused

Disaster Report and Raw Danger are two fun ps2 games with no combat. Pretty much you're trapped in a city when an earthquake (Disaster Report) or flood (Raw Danger) hits, and you have to escape. Not the best looking games in the world, but a whole lot of fun!