You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
The Ultimate Insult

Default Today's Reaping.

Well today I managed to get Gabriel Knight 3 for £2 I was very pleased with that.
From a shop called CEX just opened up in a town near me.. they've got quite a collection of pc games and a lot of platform games (Ps2 and 360 mainly but quite a lot of DS) all going for cheap.
One question- Can you actually die in GK3? << I hate adventures where you can die.. but.. I make exceptions for things like Broken Sword. xD

I also found a Large box copy of The 11th Hour with original book and four CD holding CD case inside, from a charity store for a fiver. I figured this would be a good find?

And lastly In Cold Blood on the PS for £3, but lookingover it, this doesntseem so great as it includes stealth and some combat. (Dont you just hate when you find out that an adventure game has combat in it?) I should've known better, considering it was for the Playstation.

Currently playing; CSI Deadly Intent, Tales Of Monkey Island Ep 1
Recently finished;Secret Files Puritas Cordis, Prof Layton and Pandora's Box
Eagerly anticipating;Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe new world, Nearly Departed
Old 02-15-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Caffein Queen

Sheesh, I know I should remember, if you can die in GK3, but I don't.
Don't think I ever did, but that doesn't mean you can't...

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 02-15-2008, 11:54 AM   #3

You can die... but there's an automatic restore to the point before you died so it's ok...
Old 02-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslilo View Post
Sheesh, I know I should remember, if you can die in GK3, but I don't.
Don't think I ever did, but that doesn't mean you can't...
I'm pretty sure you died in the end scene. Everybody did.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
The Ultimate Insult

tsa- SPOILER TAGS please. I havent played it yet! D<
Lol

thanks for the heads up Kere.

Anyone got a comment about The 11th hour?
I checked out a trailer on youtube, seems pretty scary, Im not one for horror games but I may have to try this one with a friend. xD

I also saw one for Phantasmagoria 2.... gory.. <<;

Old 02-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #6

As with all the Gabriel Knights, yes you can die, but it's very obvious where.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:05 PM   #7
tsa
Playing character

Yes, I don't think I spoiled anything for you Atlantis, don't worry.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:29 AM   #8

The 11th Hour comes highly recommended by me!

It's best if you've played The 7th Guest first, but I played them in the reverse order and lived. It's not quite a strict sequel, but The 7th Guest will give you useful information about the setting and background.

The 7th Guest is basically a collection of puzzles decorated with a spooky theme, and isn't really scary in itself. However, The 11th Hour is much darker and nastier in tone, and definitely adult in theme. Not many out-and-out scares, but a VERY disturbing storyline. The ending is a minor letdown, as the "big final decision" you have to make is rather obvious.

The gameplay of The 11th Hour is only slightly different from The 7th Guest. You're given a clue to some object in the house. If you find it, you're presented with a puzzle to solve. Each puzzle opens a bit more of the house and lets you progress in the story (or rather stories -- your own current story and an account of past events). Random guessing at the clues is penalised, though hints are available at a cost.

You do need to know something about cryptic crosswords in order to solve a lot of the clues. If you aren't a cruciverbalist, this site should give you enough information to get you started.

Fantastic music and atmospheric graphics, especially in their "spooky" graphics mode, where everything is black-and-white except the cursor and the puzzles. (But you'll have to go back later and see everything in colour too, as it's too good to miss.)

One bit of technical advice: Make sure to switch off any Windows screensavers while playing. The game has its own built-in screensaver, and will freeze if both savers are activated.

Historical interest: The 7th Guest was the first game to be designed for CD-ROM and released in CD format only. The 11th Hour was the first game with graphics in full 16-bit colour throughout.

Last edited by Davies; 02-16-2008 at 02:45 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:24 AM   #9
The Ultimate Insult

Thanks Davies for the short review, I'll take on board some of your tips, if the game will even work on my computer.

Tsa- I might've read it wrong, I thought you were basically giving away the ending saying everyone dies in the end, but now I see you could've meant that every player probably dies during the ending due to something.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:36 AM   #10
The Quiet One

I'd recommend you use a little program called Turbo. The 11th Hour runs too fast on modern computers and this program will slow it down. And just be warned that the puzzles/riddles are ridiculously hard imo. To be honest, i found the game disappointing and it's one of those games that i only need to play once.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour