You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2008, 07:24 AM   #21

I think Black Mirror had its merits and I would give a sequel a go, but I reeeeeeallly hope that it doesn't have any of those stupid "come back later" moments. The endless fetch quests and the strict linearity were forgiveable, but having to wander around and kill time until the game arbitrarily decided you had spun your wheels enough to pick up your photos or w/e was just rude and annoying.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:36 AM   #22
Super Moderator

I think the worst instance of that was waiting to get into the church. That part annoyed me.

Black Mirror
was a funky experience for me. I loved a lot of it and there were parts that really annoyed me. In the end, the good outweighed the bad and I've played it more than once. I'll very likely give the second game a go.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:15 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
I think the worst instance of that was waiting to get into the church. That part annoyed me.
I'm curious to know how that was coded, the amount of time you had to wait seemed to vary from player to player. For me the crazy one was picking up the pictures from the morgue. I kept leaving and coming back, I went through the whole game world looking at everything and talking to everyone, convinced I had missed something. Finally, I went through an online check list to make sure I hadn't missed anything and STILL had to go back another 3-4 times to get the pictures. I can't imagine what kind of sadist designed that.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #24
The Quiet One

The same thing annoyed me too. I remember it being that package you were supposed to collect from the letterbox outside the mansion. I kept going back to check but there was nothing. Overall, i thought The Black Mirror was average. Disappointing voice acting and ending and some of the puzzles peeved me off (yes Zodiac slider puzzle, i'm thinking of you). The story was so-so but interesting, i like the creepy locations you can visit and the atmosphere/effects are spot on.

Hopefully the sequel will be much better and the problems with the first one are solved. Screenshots look promising.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 06-14-2009, 08:47 PM   #25

Send a message via MSN to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman

The recent preview of Black Mirror 2 seems so great and atmospheric that it shoots to No. 1 position on my Hypo-meter.

Cant wait to play it. Please do share your comments & news regarding the game with us.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:38 PM   #26
Stalker of Britain

A lot of people seem to hate the ending and voice actors of the first "Black Mirror", so I must be the only person who actually did like them.

I am very excited for the next game!
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 08-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #27

Retail cover:

HQ preview video:

http://www.gamestar.de/index.cfm?pid=1589&pk=12624
Old 08-16-2009, 02:22 PM   #28
Roman5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
A lot of people seem to hate the ending and voice actors of the first "Black Mirror", so I must be the only person who actually did like them.

I am very excited for the next game!
Voice acting was pretty bad, but it also created a sort of sinister atmosphere. One line repeated often during the game still haunts me even today.. " I will return to my work"

Old 08-18-2009, 04:54 AM   #29
She Wants Revenge

I'm looking forward to BM2. I liked the first game, though it had a bit too many faults to reach to my favourite games list. But there was promise, lots of it. The atmosphere and the overall world reminded me of GK1 which is an honour really. The most annoying part was - like many already said - the mindless repetitive tasks that had zero logic to them.

I saw the ending coming a long way ahead so I would've wanted a something more, it wasn't really powerful when you weren't suprised by the twist. And a good ending should stir some emotion even when you kinda guessed it already anyway. Otherwise I found the story better than average.

With some spice to the end and removing the illogical running around missions, BM1 would certainly have been a great game and I am cautiously optimistic about the sequel. Maybe sometimes they actually fix things and not break them (no, I still can't get over how horrible Still Life 2 was compared to the first one).

Hoping to hear more from this soon.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:56 AM   #30

I'm curious about this game too. I never played the original but the screenshots for the sequel look insanely good. Isn't it being developed by the same studio that did Mata Hari? Cranberry something? Or was it Pineapple? Can't remember.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #31

Gamescom trailer:

http://www.gamestar.de/index.cfm?pid=1589&pk=12667
Old 08-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #32
Adventure Dude =]

Really liked the first one. Voice acting wasn't very good and the graphics weren't amazing by any stretch, but I just really liked the feel and the game play.

Last Game Finished: Memento Mori, Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal

Games Recently Finished: Art of Murder - The Hunt for the Puppeteer, Secret Files 2, Still Life 2
Old 08-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #33
Headbanger

Haven't played the first one since its release but I remember that it started out really good only to become rather mediocre. Regardless of that, the trailer for the sequel raises my anticipation for this game.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:08 AM   #34

DTP released a making of with the German dubbing. I like the voice of Darren, but the old and vicious Fuller seems less appropriate. Black Mirror 2 is now available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai90N-w69Do
Old 09-26-2009, 11:32 PM   #35

Aah, The Black Mirror... One of the most controversial adventure games I've played. It has some serious flaws, but the story and the atmosphere is IMO enough captivating for one to forget about flaws and dip in. This was the case for me, and I'm even thinking to replay the original game.

I'm looking foward to the sequel and I'm sure that it's going to be much more polished and technically improved. But it seems we'll have to wait for this title for quite some time, though it has been announced a long time ago.

BTW, I often read bad reviews on Still Life 2 on these boards so I sometimes wondering if I'm the only one who enjoyed it. Sure, it's not on the level with the original in many things, but I think that it still has some aces in the sleeve to offer to the fans of SL. I imagine that the similar story is going to be with the TBM2.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:02 AM   #36

It is very polished - apart from a few sound bugs. I'm currently in the third of six chapters and have only good things to say. The protagonist, Darren, acts like a true snob, he is bad-tempered and always bold - like Samuel from the first Black Mirror. Cranberry did a great job with the sequel, especially when it comes to the atmosphere. At the beginning the weather is friendly and sunny with just a few clouds, but it gets more and more darker, with heavy rain, thunder and fog when you arrive in Willow Creek. The first two chapters are located in Maine, USA.

Willow Creek and the infamous sanatorium, now a hotel.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:52 AM   #37

I had huge problems installing it, and not the only one either - there is a special tread about it - and when it finally installe, I couldn't see the video sequences.

The running around (probably programmed with some time-randomizer) was awful. Hated it.

I will wait for comments before I buy it, but, I guess I will at the end.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohlin View Post
I had huge problems installing it...

...I will wait for comments before I buy it.
Um... Maybe because you downloaded an illegal copy?
Old 09-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #39
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptin View Post
Doubtfully.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptin View Post
Nope, I have never dowloaded anthing illegal in my life. It is bought and payed for, I have the box here in my bookcase.

I don't know what is wrong with it, as I said, there is a tread somwhere with problem solving tips.

Oh, and thanks Kuze!