Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Sinking Island Released (in UK?) (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/21824-sinking-island-released-uk.html)

carlotta von uberwald 01-27-2008 09:53 AM

Sinking Island Released (in UK?)

Hi does anyone know if Sinking Island has been released in the UK yet? co I can only find the german version

VOLKANA 01-27-2008 11:17 PM

Hi carlotta von uberwald,
i'm not from UK but i have the UK version of the game since last month...
I hope this will help...

Cheers...

Terramax 01-28-2008 06:32 AM

Well there certainly isn't a copy on Amazon.co.uk or Play.co.uk, or the local high street stores. Are you certain it's a UK edition and legal? Is it spoken in English or just English subtitles?

Does it say the publisher or whether it's really UK, Aust, Can or US, although there's no US version from what I can tell?

LimpingFish 01-28-2008 01:22 PM

As far as I can tell, no English language version exists; certainly no version published for release in the UK. Australia doesn't seem to have one either, nor does the general Asia-Pacific region.

Not too sure about Canada, but it's unlikely. Unless it's the French language version.

The European release is being handled by Micro Application, apparently, but I can't find any solid information. They probably won't be handling the UK release, anyway.

VOLKANA 01-29-2008 06:24 AM

Yes the language in the game is english and it has also english subtitles. It is a legal copy. Where should i search on the box to be sure and tell you guys?

The box had english on it. I'll check it when i go home...

Terramax 01-29-2008 06:39 AM

The manual should give credits as to who made the English dubs and subtitles and where, small print at the back of the box, it should say the publisher (in which case there should be an internet home site for the publisher).

Where did you buy it from? A popular retail store?

If an internet store, can you give the internet address?

VOLKANA 01-29-2008 07:01 AM

Terramax i bought it from a store in my neighbour which also sells and rents movies.... nothing special

aries323 01-29-2008 08:13 AM

The Sinking Island game could easily have been released in Greece before the UK version is released in England.

http://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubb...531#Post270531

Please read Becky's post about this game.

It gives you all the information you need.

Melanie68 01-29-2008 08:42 AM

I think that happened with one of the Sherlock Holmes games (The Awakening I think?). It showed up in Greece first. Of course my memory may be bad. :P

annaluna 01-29-2008 06:17 PM

sinking island has been out in greece for a while, i think the same greek-based company released it in south africa too, the same thing happened with belief and betrayal which was out here in greece before christmas, jack keane came very soon here too, the games were in english:)
we got lucky lately, we usually have to order games online from other countries:)
anna

VOLKANA 01-29-2008 10:08 PM

Well i checked the box and on the back side it writes "Game in English" and beside that there is the UK flag. It also writes that it is published in Europe. Does this help? And it's true we are very lucky with these games lately in Greece. That's something new...

aries323 01-30-2008 12:49 PM

When a game is out 'in Europe' it generally means it is out in Germany and sometimes in France, too. (sometimes even in Russia, I think?).

Sinking Island has been released in both French and Germany last year - during the fall of 2007.

It really is the publisher who decides where to release a game first. And yes, I agree, that Greece seems to have been fortunate enough to get games released in Greece first :)

The Scandinavian UK version also seems to be draggin' a bit behind the release of either the German or the US - or even the UK version for England/UK. I can wait with buying the games I need to buy - simply
because I know that I get better games when I buy them later e.g. more
bugs fixed through numerous and varius patches.

LimpingFish 01-30-2008 12:50 PM

Sounds like whoever is publishing those games in Greece could teach a thing or two to other European publishers.

One of the many things the UK games market doesn't have is a reliable release schedule.

Now, if only there was an online Greek retailer who could ship these games to the rest of Europe...:P

VOLKANA 01-30-2008 10:23 PM

I'm searching for a greek site which ships in Europe and US. I sent e-mails and i'm waiting for their answer...

http://www.papasotiriou.gr/product.g...61&prid=998399

This one declares that ships all over the world. In the orange horizontal bar click the third word. It says "help". Then from the list press the sixth line, it says "send". When the new page opens there is a paragraph in English which informs you about the orders and the delivery. But the game here is a little more expensive...

Terramax 01-31-2008 07:04 AM

It'd probably add up to the same amount as buying new in the UK (£29.99). I have to admit I'm fairly interested in getting it from a Greek online store as there doesn't seem to be any sign of it being released in the UK any time soon.

Can you tell me what type of packeging it comes in? Card box, DVD, jewel, etc?

carlotta von uberwald 01-31-2008 02:08 PM

Are you certain it's a UK edition and legal?

No I haven't got it yet I was just asking when it will be released for purchase in the UK lol

VOLKANA 01-31-2008 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlotta von uberwald (Post 457930)
Are you certain it's a UK edition and legal?

No I haven't got it yet I was just asking when it will be released for purchase in the UK lol

Check post number 11. That's all i know. It's defenately not illegal since it can been purchased from various greek internet stores...

VOLKANA 01-31-2008 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terramax (Post 457888)
It'd probably add up to the same amount as buying new in the UK (£29.99). I have to admit I'm fairly interested in getting it from a Greek online store as there doesn't seem to be any sign of it being released in the UK any time soon.

Can you tell me what type of packeging it comes in? Card box, DVD, jewel, etc?

Its a DVD case. I don't understand what the jewel case is, but Siniking Island has the typical DVD case...

Terramax 02-02-2008 06:01 AM

Ah, that's cool. Jewel cases are the kind music CDs get. DVD is OK for me. I was just afraid it was going to be one of those american cardboard boxes as their size really take the mick (and that's not starting on the old big-box style).

NikolasFigaro 02-02-2008 06:34 AM

I'm from Greece and I purchased the game from Papasotiriou (the online store mentioned before) in November, if I remember correctly. To be honest, I don't think that the certain store ships products to other countries.

The game rocks, it is probably the best adventure I've played in the last 2 years, Sokal's artwork is -once again- astonishing, and the story is fantastic. If anybody likes noir or detective mysteries, this i a must-buy game.

Recently, many adventures are being released in Greece before any other country in Europe (the english versions anyway, since the german editions usually come out first). Publishers are making very strong efforts to promote adventure games (in contrary to other countries), which is a huge risk considering the high rate of piracy that plagues Greece, although there is a very loyal adventure gaming core. The problem is that the majority of adventures that they are publishing are usually mediocre... It's not their fault, but it is saddening.

Anyway, know that the edition of Sinking Island we have in Greece is totally legal, with English speech and english subtitles and age rating 12+ from the E.E. commitee. Everybody good luck in finding the game, it is totally worth it.