You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Experience112 demo... anyone tried it yet?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2008, 09:02 AM   #1

Default Experience112 demo... anyone tried it yet?

Experience112 demo... anyone tried it yet? I just installed it... wow, kinda cool but also kinda complex. O_o;; Is there some sort of "main control panel" where I can attach and also reduce the size of the camera windows?
Old 01-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
In an evening of July...

Yeah, I tried it for a few minutes, had no time to game since. Liked the music (especially the main menu track), but I too found the controls to be somewhat complex. The fiddeling with the camera windows was irritating at first, but I soon realized that leaving three windows open at all time is probably the best solution. Maybe after some more playing I can get used to it.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #3

I tried it and I loved it. It's definitely complicated to control but with a bit of time and practice I think it'll get easier. This one is on my must buy list.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #4

I tried the French version a few days ago. It's not bad, but having to control the character indirectly through use of the cameras is a painfully slow process. Over an entire game, I can imagine that it would get incredibly frustrating.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

I thought it was a great concept, but the game lagged quite a bit, even on low settings.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:42 AM   #6
Caffein Queen

I kinda liked it too, but man - those controls took my focus away from the beautiful graphic!
It was hard to actually follow and look at the enviroment she was walking in.
I found myself only listening to her and then try and find the right control window to open..

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 01-26-2008, 06:29 AM   #7

its veery laggy and the gfx are sloppy done.. good idea for a game but I wont be grabbing the full version.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:55 AM   #8

Hmmm... I suspect they should've upped the system requirements 'cos it's very obvious you'd need a lot of RAM and a rather powerful graphics card to handle a few security cameras. Furthermore, it's a great concept but you'd likely need a really large lcd screen to be able to watch them carefully.

Also, I found "the tutorial" a little confusing but I'll give it another round later on.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:48 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

The requirements given by TAC are not adequate. Pay attention to the minimum requirements given by Micro Application instead: 2.0 GHz processor, 1 gig of RAM, and a 128 MB video card.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas813 View Post
The requirements given by TAC are not adequate. Pay attention to the minimum requirements given by Micro Application instead: 2.0 GHz processor, 1 gig of RAM, and a 128 MB video card.
Hmmm... the game was still really laggy on my pc even with 1 gig of RAM and a 3.2 ghz processor and a 7300GT. I guess I needed to tweak the options a bit more, eh?
Old 01-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #11

Send a message via ICQ to Nautilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas813 View Post
Nowhere it's mentioned that the video card must support pixel and vertex shaders. 600Mb downloading a demo that did not run on my machine.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:39 PM   #12
Senior *female* member

The lagging cursor is a major annoyance on my fairly old XP machine, makes the demo more or less unplayable. And I was really looking forward to this one. I preordered it months ago... will I never learn...
Old 01-27-2008, 12:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
The lagging cursor is a major annoyance on my fairly old XP machine, makes the demo more or less unplayable. And I was really looking forward to this one. I preordered it months ago... will I never learn... :crazy:
Oh yes, the cursor lags quite a bit on my pc too... it's bearable, I guess. What you should try to do is set the camera to "few cameras" under Options. And also shut down every other program before launching this game.

Although now that I made it a bit further, this is a REALLY interesting and fairly dynamic concept. A shame I'd to quit the demo before I could proceed to the second objective.

Edit: There seems to be some errors under the system.log file found in the Experience112 folder. Look at attached file, guys. Maybe it's 'cos I didn't have enough free memory?
Attached Files
File Type: txt system.log.txt (3.7 KB, 338 views)

Last edited by Lucifiel; 01-27-2008 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:06 AM   #14

I just finished it. Pretty interesting concept. I didn't have any trouble running it on a MacBookPro running Windows XP, so the system reqs can't be too bad. Didn't notice any particular cursor lag.

The first thing that stood out to me, unfortunately, is that the writing is terrible. I don't know if you can blame the localization team or if it was the source material (I suspect a bit of both), but the communication between the girl and the disembodied main character is really contrived. I understand that they need to help set up the story, but when a person wakes up from coma all alone, I don't think they would start talking to themselves immediately and then read the note they find next to the bed out loud. I'd imagine they'd start by calling out for someone. And "Oh, there's a camera. Someone's behind it!" Really? How do you know that? Then when she's instructing you on the use of the system, it's as if she can see your screen. "Now click on the cameras button. Good!" It just feels really stilted and forced. I like having her ask questions and you nod or shake the camera to answer. They should have more of that.

I only got stuck at one point. When she asks you to find the robot's control code, she tells you that it's in Dr. Whatever's "Sensitive Files." So you find his password, log in, then look at "Files" and it asks you for the code to his sensitive files, which you can also figure out. Once you're looking at the sensitive files, you'll see several pages of text, none of which contain the robot codes. I went over the pages again and again, then looked through his other, non-sensitive files and still couldn't find it. I figured i must have missed something so I read through them again.

Through this whole period, the girl is standing there telling you to hurry up repeating the same line over and over again every thirty seconds telling you to look in the "Sensitive Files". Finally, I figured out that the codes were on his collaborator's page, which is entirely separate from his Sensitive Files. I like that she tries to give you hints and tells you to hurry up when you don't communicate with her for a while, but she'd damn well better tell you the right information. And she needs to have more than one line that she repeats over and over and over and over.

The gameplay is quite unique, and it seems that they've worked in a few good ways to have puzzles using different camera modes, searching files, and directly manipulating certain objects like the robot (which was fun, but it took me a long time to figure out that I could press the middle of the control to magnetize the arm... which is pretty important. I had been running the arm into the card for five minutes getting frustrated). But I wonder how long the gameplay could continue to feel fresh before you realize that it's just a layer of obfuscation added on top of a normal adventure game. So now, instead of looking around and solving puzzles, you need to coax the dumb girl to do everything for you by turning lights on and off.

It seems that you do have to just let her stumble around and turn on each light one at a time to make sure she looks everywhere. They didn't tell you what the objects you're looking for (like the camera upgrades) look like, so you just kind of lead her into every corner until she picks them up. In one room, she walked in and said "It's just a boiler room" or something. But when I repeatedly blinked the corner light, she walked over there and bent over and told me she found a key. Woo. Lucky me. I'm not sure if the key isn't used in the demo or if I just failed to stumble into the right corner after finding the key. Regardless, the stumble and find gameplay isn't that great.

The controls are a bit tricky. I would prefer it keep only one camera open at a time in a big window, instead of me having to close every window when I'm done with it, but you get used to things quickly. The presentation and inclusion of broken cameras and blurry cameras is great. The game world feels very nice, even if the color palette is rather limited.

All in all, it seems like a game that I'd consider buying but would likely wait for the price to come down. There's a lot of potential in the game's premise, I'm just wondering if it can live up to it.

Also, since I spent lots of time reading the sensitive files looking for that damned robot code, I got a pretty good idea of where the plot is going:

Spoiler:
You (the player) are subject 112
Old 01-27-2008, 01:50 AM   #15

great concept. "The Experiment" is so boring and unoriginal, I prefer the old title.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:49 AM   #16
Game Creator Hobbyist

(I wonder if it will be called Experience 911 west of the Atlantic?
Old 01-27-2008, 07:43 AM   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
(I wonder if it will be called Experience 911 west of the Atlantic?
It's Experience112 in Europe and The Experiment in N. America.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #18

Default Great game one of the best ever :

I liked the idea the concept everything .
The game ran smooth for me but that maybe cuz i have 4gb Ram geforce 8800 gtx 768 vista 64bit ultimate .

But no lags errors problems .

The game is great beacuse the ideathe story took me few seconds to understand that she is talking to me the one who is controling the cameras .

Also the idea moving by the lights cameras just great .

The big problem pepole talked about here that you have like 2-3 windows and cant see all the time the graphics window . So first you are see the graphics window when you need second very quick you get used to the system and she is not running she is walking from light to light area so you have the time to go to the graphics window and see it all .

Just like any other new stuff you need to get used to it . After all to switch between windows is easy and she is walking slow so you dont miss a lot if any .

I think its gonna be a great great game . Not every quest/adventure have to be static and point and click old school adventures and pick up stuff talk to ppl . I think this new gameplay is just great .

Another thing in the demo many things you can discover that you dont need or can use the demo thats another great thing like the key someone mentioned before the and there was a place she was asking me if to go to the giher level if im not wrong i said no but i wonder what happen if you will choose yes .

Great game cuz you can move free you dont need to go one direction the idea about the buttons the lights and cameras make you scary and much more want to see what is next in the next room to see .

I think its a great game and Adventure games its about time to be using new tech and all the time old graphics i mean ppl said here you need a strong computer and i dont see a problem about it . I think its about time adventure games to get some levels up about graphics and gameplay and also specs of the pc .

But i msure the full game will work better for many ppl and also there will be some patches if it will be needed .

In general great stuff and great idea i did pre ordered the game allready .

Anyway by amazon.com they also fixed the date to 5 of febuary it was the 15 now 5 . And it cost 30$ i think thats great price for a great game .

In ebgames.com they say the date is the 15 of febuar i hope they wrong and it will be the 5 . The price same as amazon 29.99$ ( 30$) .

I cant wait anymore i want the game now
Old 01-27-2008, 08:33 AM   #19

Default Anyway about the game names :

The french release name is experience 112 .
The us north america/Uk release name is The Experiment same game just another name thats it .
Old 01-27-2008, 08:40 AM   #20
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifiel View Post
Oh yes, the cursor lags quite a bit on my pc too... it's bearable, I guess. What you should try to do is set the camera to "few cameras" under Options. And also shut down every other program before launching this game.
Thanks, it's lagging not so much now.

Quote:
(I wonder if it will be called Experience 911 west of the Atlantic?)
Heh... I played The Blobjob last year (something awful disguised as an adventure, "educating" people about the dangers of drugs and sex and alcohol and what-not). At some point you find yourself involved in an emergency and there's a phone nearby... and the game takes place in the US, so I called 911. Nothing. I tried everything else I could think of, dialed 911again, when suddenly I remembered that this monstrosity was developed in Europe. So I switched to our 112 and presto! How's that for educating people?