You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What's Your Fav Adventure Game Or Franchise

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
GirlBrushThreepwood

Send a message via ICQ to Fma42081 Send a message via AIM to Fma42081 Send a message via MSN to Fma42081 Send a message via Yahoo to Fma42081
Default What's Your Fav Adventure Game Or Franchise

Just As The Title Asked What Is Your Fav Adventure Game And or Franchise also you get bonus points if your fav game is a lesser known one..hehe
Old 01-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
merely human

Because you're basically new here in terms of posting, your inquiries are most likely not much different from all the others posted by newbies. In which case, use the forum's Search function (located on a bar near the top of the page) to see if the topic has already been discussed. It will save you the hassle of starting a new thread, and it'll save the rest of us confusion in figuring out which thread to post in and whether a topic has already been discussed.

To start you off here's what the search function presented when I typed in the key word 'favorite':

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...earchid=619858
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-12-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
Text Parser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Because you're basically new here in terms of posting, your inquiries are most likely not much different from all the others posted by newbies. In which case, use the forum's Search function (located on a bar near the top of the page) to see if the topic has already been discussed. It will save you the hassle of starting a new thread, and it'll save the rest of us confusion in figuring out which thread to post in and whether a topic has already been discussed.

To start you off here's what the search function presented when I typed in the key word 'favorite':

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...earchid=619858
Actually, I looked at the search, and there isn't a single other topic that is exactly like this one. Sure, there's "What's your favorite first person adventure," "What are your favorite adventure games" (plural), "Favorite Adventure game which is out now," etcetera, but I didn't find any other topics which asked for your single favorite adventure game or franchise of all time. I guess people just assume this has already been discussed. *shrugs*

Anyways, back on topic: Out of Order. But that's because I haven't played too many. I should be getting Sam and Max: Season One in the mail soon, so it might change in about a week.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I'll be a crazy girl and say the Myst franchise and the Riddle of the Sphinx games (Riddle of the Sphinx and The Omega Stone). Probably because they were the earliest adventure games I played and there is some heavy nostalgia involved.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:44 PM   #5

I would say Broken Sword, but essentially the franchise' quality deminishes even more with every installment.

Personal fav 2 games are Broken Sword I and Discworld Noir (cannot decide between which) but as for franchise as a whole, the Post Mortem/ Still Life one might just be.

None of the two are by far perfect, but they're at the same level of storytelling and I actually like that one is in 1st person and the other is in 3rd.

The more I think about it, the change from pre-rendered locations to 3D in the next part, if realised right, might keep up with the daring tradition of change (after all the slating I gave it at an earlier post).

I'm certainly putting more hope in it after the 5th Silent Hill looks to be a complete letdown (sorry, bit off topic).
Old 01-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #6
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Monkey Island 1.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
Senior *female* member

The Last Express.

Tomorrow it might be Obsidian... or Riven.... or even Zork Grand Inquisitor.
But today it's The Last Express.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:52 PM   #8
The Quiet One

The Broken Sword series, Simon the Sorcerer 1-2, Gabriel Knight 1-2, Monkey Island 1-4, Discworld Noir, The Longest Journey (i'd say series but i still haven't played Dreamfall yet ), Still Life and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. And... i'd probably say Sam & Max too.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-12-2008, 03:56 PM   #9
Agent 5

If I had to choose a single franchise, and I think my user name would be a bit of a tip off, it would be The Journeyman Project series. As to my favorite game... Buried in Time would probably be the winner, but Full Throttle is a close contender, to be sure.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #10
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig View Post
Monkey Island 1.
Same here.

...also Photopia.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:33 PM   #11

QFG and Monkey Island.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:19 AM   #12

Fahrenheit
Old 01-13-2008, 11:50 AM   #13
Flower bower bird

Starship Titanic - my first and still favorite
Old 01-13-2008, 11:55 AM   #14

Favorite game: Grim Fandango
Favorite franchise: Monkey Island
Old 01-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #15

Favorite game(s) has been done to death.

Favorite franchise (or series) hasn't.

I suppose Myst, Monkey Island, and Gabriel Knight would be my favorite series. And maybe Zork, though I haven't played them all.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:54 PM   #16
Treasure Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GageBlackwood View Post
If I had to choose a single franchise, and I think my user name would be a bit of a tip off, it would be The Journeyman Project series. As to my favorite game... Buried in Time would probably be the winner, but Full Throttle is a close contender, to be sure.
Aha! I knew someone else around here must've liked it as well.

My favorite franchise is also the Journeyman Project.
Favorite game? That's too hard to decide.

Playing: ...
Next up: Syberia 2, Full Throttle, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Old 01-14-2008, 04:31 AM   #17
Easily amused

For sheer volume and fun, you can't beat the Nancy Drew games.
The first 3 Myst games were perfect. I'm not so taken with Uru and Revelation and I've yet to play Myst V. If the second and third Rhems are like the first game, then they'll be my next fave. Lastly, I really liked the Gabriel Knight games, well 2 and 3 anyways. I'd welcome a continuation of those games.

What is important to me is that games in a series stay true to not only the story but the gameplay. Too much change (like Uru and Myst IV with it's timed puzzles) ruins the familiarity and the feel of the game. A series should have consistency of play.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #18
JKR

Maniac Mansion (and Day of the Tentacle)
followed very very super closely by Monkey Island.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #19

The Myst series is my favourite, and Riven is my all-time favourite game.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:34 AM   #20

Favorite game: Grim Fandango
Favorite franchise: Zork series