Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Gray matter: official site / hype / marketing and publishing (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/21703-gray-matter-official-site-hype-marketing-publishing.html)

Phod 10-11-2010 04:59 PM

So wait, it's still coming out in Germany on Oct 25th with full English voice overs?

the hell?

Kazmajik 10-11-2010 06:28 PM

Deja vu.

Oh well, see you all in February for the next delay.

inm8#2 10-11-2010 09:15 PM

This thread is kind of depressing - so many fans waiting for Gray Matter fighting with each other over all sorts of things as a way to cope with the delays.

It's been a long road, guys, but if we've waited this long we can wait a bit longer. I have all the faith in Jane Jensen, and if there are other holdups out of her control then we just have to deal with it.

The discussion about graphics, budgets, etc. is understandable but it's almost as if these expectations for cutting-edge technology were heightened in response to the delay. Temper your expectations and understand that Jane had to go to Germany just to find someone who would cough up some money to make this game! That should be indication enough that the graphics/technology MIGHT not set a new standard in the gaming industry, but I'll guarantee that they'll be appropriate and fitting for the story that's being told.

R.e. comparisons to Heavy Rain, that was a great game and I loved it, but it was not an adventure game. The gaming emphasis was on interactivity and cinematics, not adventuring. Apples and oranges. Different budgets. Different selling points.

Fien 10-11-2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phod (Post 561398)
So wait, it's still coming out in Germany on Oct 25th with full English voice overs?

the hell?

DTP has not changed the German/English release date. At least, not yet.

Something weird is going on, that's for sure. Perhaps it's incompetence on Lace Mamba's part. Not that I trust DTP, their marketing sucks, they don't give a shit about their customers, and I hold them in large part responsible for the low quality of 15 Days by forcing House of Tales to release it prematurely. I still think it's quite possible that they just want to make more money on the English voices. After all, they paid for them. But Lace Mamba bungled the British retail version of Machinarium (nothing to do with developer Amanita!). And they offered that disturbingly low pre-order price of Gray Matter*for weeks*. Eleven pounds or something. Unheard of.

Dwagginz 10-12-2010 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 561408)
And they offered that disturbingly low pre-order price of Gray Matter*for weeks*. Eleven pounds or something. Unheard of.

And I never got my order in for that price :frusty:

This game is turning into the next Duke Nukem Forever :D

dekaneas297 10-12-2010 01:53 AM

Maybe they want to polish the cover for the other parts of the world :crazy: :D

Anyway, all this release date mocking of the developer/publisher made me decide to play the game but not buy it :shifty:

After watching the terrible animation in the trailer my decision was ensured.

Ascovel 10-12-2010 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 561408)
Not that I trust DTP, their marketing sucks, they don't give a shit about their customers, and I hold them in large part responsible for the low quality of 15 Days by forcing House of Tales to release it prematurely.

Is that really what happened with 15 Days? I thought House of Tales was falling apart already during the game's production and it's the studio that decided to finish the development quicker than planned.

Btw, anyone watched the video preview from the first 4 chapters of Gray Matter on Adventure-Treff? I found it much more encouraging than the trailer, though I skipped some parts due to puzzle spoilers.

Roper Klacks 10-12-2010 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dekaneas297 (Post 561420)
Anyway, all this release date mocking of the developer/publisher made me decide to play the game but not buy it :shifty:

Thats not a solution. If you want to state your disapointment you should ignore it and not play it.

Fien 10-12-2010 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascovel (Post 561423)
Is that really what happened with 15 Days? I thought House of Tales was falling apart already during the game's production and it's the studio that decided to finish the development quicker than planned.

What or who is your source?

dekaneas297 10-12-2010 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roper Klacks (Post 561424)
Thats not a solution. If you want to state your disapointment you should ignore it and not play it.

Nope. There is no bigger punishment for their attitude than low sales.

Anyway, from the latest videos I think it's an overrated game. If any other game had such terrible animations, it would probably get a 2.5/5 rating. I 'll play it just out of curiosity.

Ascovel 10-12-2010 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 561425)
What or who is your source?

For example you are one of my sources - I am genuinely asking if you have confirmed information about this, as I have never heard of the details myself. :)

My own take is what I assumed given House of Tales bosses and main creative minds left the studio a short time after 15 Days was released (Martin Gantefohr even before that, I think). And that I read on the German gaming sites.

Ascovel 10-12-2010 07:29 AM

If anyone was in doubt, here's todays confirmation on German 'PC Games' magazine site that DTP is releasing Gray Matter on the 29th October in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland:

http://www.pcgames.de/Gray-Matter-PC...ktober-664534/

I guess you can now fully blame Lace Mamba for the very unfortunate choice of words - seems like they have screwed up entirely on their own. Or maybe that was DTP's GOG-like stunt right before the premiere.

seagul 10-12-2010 08:00 AM

If you understand german you can read it here:
http://forum.dtp-entertainment.com/v...?f=119&t=16957
Abstract: At the moment they are doing the last steps before the game goes gold. So it is not possible for them to say a definitely date, but the german release date will be sometime in november.

It may be that the very low priced Lace Mamba version is the reason for the delay. At least that was suggested at Adventure-Treff.

Dwagginz 10-12-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seagul (Post 561433)
It may be that the very low priced Lace Mamba version is the reason for the delay. At least that was suggested at Adventure-Treff.

Why would it be a cause for delay? Just curious.

Kazmajik 10-12-2010 05:08 PM

I know the development team is German, and DTP obviously, but I'm sure Jane wrote the game in English. So doesn't it seem reasonable that the original game is in English, and it would need to be translated into German? Thus, the English speaking countries shouldn't have to wait as long? Does this make a bit of sense, or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Ascovel 10-12-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazmajik (Post 561460)
I know the development team is German, and DTP obviously, but I'm sure Jane wrote the game in English. So doesn't it seem reasonable that the original game is in English, and it would need to be translated into German? Thus, the English speaking countries shouldn't have to wait as long? Does this make a bit of sense, or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Do you remember how long we waited for English releases of So Blonde and Mata Hari? The scripts written in English in both cases, but the German premieres happened many months earlier.

But from what DTP said so far the English version is fully prepared as well and will be included with the German one, so I doubt Lace Mamba's release date delay is connected to that.

Kazmajik 10-12-2010 06:56 PM

Actually, Wizarbox is French. But still, what the hell?

Hannes 10-12-2010 11:16 PM

Looking at the preview video, the game looks bugged, so expect a lot of reviews commenting on that. The problem with waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting ........ and waiting, and then waiting some more, (after which you'll be waiting for a long time), is that you start to build up these really high expectations towards the game, and when you finally have it you'll think "I waited all this time for THIS??".

Fien 10-13-2010 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascovel (Post 561430)
My own take is what I assumed given House of Tales bosses and main creative minds left the studio a short time after 15 Days was released (Martin Gantefohr even before that, I think). And that I read on the German gaming sites.

I stand corrected. Alzheimer Lite strikes again. :shifty: The moment I read your post I remembered that DTP took over House of Tales after 15 Days had been released. I think that's when Martin Gantefoehr left.

Neptin 10-13-2010 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwagginz (Post 561444)
Why would it be a cause for delay? Just curious.

Because imports from the UK to Germany are much cheaper or ridiculous cheap (only 11 pounds for Gray Matter from Lace Mamba). This should be the reason why the UK release was moved to February.